• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Pinot thread

i agree

it's great

images

Not a big fan of the wine but a really big fan of the rider. I hope Pinot can challenge for a top 5 this year with a stage win and then perhaps a bigger team can come in for him and give him the support to go for the Tour in the next few seasons.

If he continues to improve there's no reason why he cant challenge for GT's.

Reactions: Devix
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Probably Frances brightest hope to win the Tour. Will definitely be one of the biggest contenders for white and a top 10 placing this year.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Then some people say i am a fanboy... my words totally justified, today the strongest with Costa. Logic.

In the TT Van Garderen and Costa will be better than him. But attention to his time in the climb section.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
everytime I see him racing he impresses me more and more. huge talent for the future. as for this year certainly capable of top ten, white jersey could be a problem with Quintana likely to be at the tdf

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Probably Frances brightest hope to win the Tour. Will definitely be one of the biggest contenders for white and a top 10 placing this year.

Well he could be a TDF winner one day , but he would have to improve in TTing and descending abilities. Not every rider are capable of doing that.

However i do hope that at some point in his career he will try to ride the Giro or the Vuelta , he would have a better chance to win those IMO. He would be really unfortunate if he spent his entire career riding the TDF for podium spot.

Also I think it was a wise decision to ride the TDS instead of Dauphiné. He doesn't need yet to be obssesed with French races.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
yeah it was very smart plus he won't be compared to froome as easily because he didn't race the dauphine. he's the best climber in the tds imo

Jason_Mercier said:
Then some people say i am a fanboy... my words totally justified, today the strongest with Costa. Logic.

In the TT Van Garderen and Costa will be better than him. But attention to his time in the climb section.
Yes, he really put Mollema under pressure, because the latter doesn't have the endurance :eek:

It will be an interesting battle for the white jersey in the Tour... so far Tejay isn't doing any worse on the climbs than him, and in the flat TT Tejay will take about 2 or 3 minutes. And then there's Talansky as well.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I counted 6 or 7 attacks from pinot. I think if a pure climber were to lose only a minute for the first flat 15kms (which is realistic) then they could easily make that difference up on the climb which is probably more important. someone like garderen has shown he doesn't handle high gradients well (TOC). could be pinot's lucky day :). how does talansky tt?? plus I thought TJ was too old for the young riders jersey??

May 12, 2013
Visit site
nick101 said:
I counted 6 or 7 attacks from pinot. I think if a pure climber were to lose only a minute for the first flat 15kms (which is realistic) then they could easily make that difference up on the climb which is probably more important. someone like garderen has shown he doesn't handle high gradients well (TOC). could be pinot's lucky day :). how does talansky tt?? plus I thought TJ was too old for the young riders jersey??

Much better than Pinot.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Yes, he really put Mollema under pressure, because the latter doesn't have the endurance :eek:

It will be an interesting battle for the white jersey in the Tour... so far Tejay isn't doing any worse on the climbs than him, and in the flat TT Tejay will take about 2 or 3 minutes. And then there's Talansky as well.

Imo Garderen won't stand a chance against Pinot in mountain stages at TdF.Pinot is really good climber.As for the climbers I think he will be TOP5 climber in the race with Contador,Froome,Purito & Quintana/Valverde.
Of course there is a problem with TT so I think he will struggle to reach TOP5 overall.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
don't count out schleck :). would be good to see pinot out climb froome on ax-3 or win at Annecy. either stage suits him well. not sure about ventoux or the alpe tho

I thought he was being hyped last year (as too many French climbers have been over the years, Di Gregorio, Dessel, Rolland, etc...) but I must say I'm impressed with his consistency, that's a "good" sign and also the sign of a true "old style" champion, i.e. not a guy who peaks once per year.

Not sure he can do much about ITTs without messing up his natural abilities, but descending can certainly be improved.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I think he'll loss about 4/4'30 with Van Garderen counting both ITT'S and the TTT. Not much more.

The guy really has improved in the speciality. In Baviera a weeks ago he did the best plain TT of his career, we'll see how it goes in Flumserbeg,

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
gthx_gthx_ said:
Well he could be a TDF winner one day , but he would have to improve in TTing and descending abilities. Not every rider are capable of doing that.

However i do hope that at some point in his career he will try to ride the Giro or the Vuelta , he would have a better chance to win those IMO. He would be really unfortunate if he spent his entire career riding the TDF for podium spot.

Also I think it was a wise decision to ride the TDS instead of Dauphiné. He doesn't need yet to be obssesed with French races.

The Giro and Vuelta usually (probably always actually) suit the climbers more and give them better chances at a GT win. For the most part I think Pinot will stay focused on the Tour for now though. The lure of a chance of winning or podiuming your home race is great, even if it doesn't suit your skill-set.

But who knows, maybe ASO will design a route with zero TT's and tons of climbing in the hope of having a French Tour winner. :p One can hope...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
I think he'll loss about 4/4'30 with Van Garderen counting both ITT'S and the TTT. Not much more.

The guy really has improved in the speciality. In Baviera a weeks ago he did the best plain TT of his career, we'll see how it goes in Flumserbeg,

I dont think he will lose that much on Garderen.Imo it will be little bit more than 3 minutes.About 2 minutes in Mont st Michel TT and 45s in Embrun? TT ,cos its really hilly,almost MTT then about 30s in TTT.
As for mountains I think he can make up this time on TJVG like i stated earlier.

webvan said:
I thought he was being hyped last year (as too many French climbers have been over the years, Di Gregorio, Dessel, Rolland, etc...) but I must say I'm impressed with his consistency, that's a "good" sign and also the sign of a true "old style" champion, i.e. not a guy who peaks once per year.

Not sure he can do much about ITTs without messing up his natural abilities, but descending can certainly be improved.
Yeah but the last 2 TDF's he has gone well. Hopefully he can ride great at the TDF.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to Pinot the other day and he said he felt really lucky Kelderman wasn't riding the Tour de France because now he has chance to win the white jersey. I agreed.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
PedalCastro said:
What can we realistically expect from Pinot at the Tour?

Considering his peformance in Suisse is better than the one of the past edition and he has improved in the TTrial... also taking it in count the route of the TDF suits him more than the 2012 one... i think he can get an stage win and the white jersey, with some luck fighting for the Top5 of the GC.

Well, maybe somebody will say this is unrealistic. We'll see it in July.

TRENDING THREADS