• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Pinot thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@greenedge - yeah I meant the original hyping of Rolland, as early as 2008 if memory serves?

Anyway, another good ride by Pinot today even if it seems he had a rough start to the climb, or maybe something happened if/when he changed bikes? Because if he'd overdone it in the flat, it's unlikely he would have improved, relative to say TVG or Kreuziger, in the second part.

TOP 5 seems possible in this year's TDF!

Pinot's great talent and class are undeniable, i just hope he doesn't get overwhelmed with insane expectations as a young rider. He will definitively be up there with the best in a couple years so the french press and the fans should give him some space to breath and develop properly.

Parrulo said:
Pinot's great talent and class are undeniable, i just hope he doesn't get overwhelmed with insane expectations as a young rider. He will definitively be up there with the best in a couple years so the french press and the fans should give him some space to breath and develop properly.

well, if he confirms his class with another solid performance in the Tour, the French will start to put pressure on him, its unavoidable.

He appears to be pretty independent with a good head on his shoulders, so we can hope he responds well.

Now, in my mind to get to the top in this sport a certain ruthlessness is needed along with a strong ego. These are two elements I haven't seen yet in Pinot, but they can emerge later perhaps.

That's going to be a tall order (space to breath) because he looks like the best young French rider since...dunno...Fignon ? More of a climber though, top French cyclists in the past (except Poulidor I suppose but that's going way back now!) were generally excellent ITTers and solid climbers.

webvan said:
That's going to be a tall order (space to breath) because he looks like the best young French rider since...dunno...Fignon ? More of a climber though, top French cyclists in the past (except Poulidor I suppose but that's going way back now!) were generally excellent ITTers and solid climbers.

That's almost a thread starter-is Pinot the best French cyclist since Fignon?

webvan said:
@greenedge - yeah I meant the original hyping of Rolland, as early as 2008 if memory serves?

Anyway, another good ride by Pinot today even if it seems he had a rough start to the climb, or maybe something happened if/when he changed bikes? Because if he'd overdone it in the flat, it's unlikely he would have improved, relative to say TVG or Kreuziger, in the second part.

TOP 5 seems possible in this year's TDF!

Yes top five seems reasonable.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
cocteau_ireland said:
That's almost a thread starter-is Pinot the best French cyclist since Fignon?

It's too early for say that. He has 22 years, hasnt demonstrated nothing yet in comparison with Leblanc, Virenque and Jalabert, a lot of years left for him though.

Which is correct to think is that he is the best promise french rider since Fignon without doubts. 6 professional victories in one month as a second year professional, the Top10 in the TDF plus stage, the TDS performance this year... any french rider since Fignon have done things like these with only 22.

But precocity no always guarantee a brilliant future. See Damiano Cunego or Yaroslav Popovych.

Pinot is in the right way at the moment.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
He's shown some real talent at the tds - he nearly podiumed by 16 seconds. His tt was alright, with some training he'd be decent. I really consider him a top 5 rider, but I hope he doesn't fade like roman kreuziger did among others...

Jason_Mercier said:
It's too early for say that. He has 22 years, hasnt demonstrated nothing yet in comparison with Leblanc, Virenque and Jalabert, a lot of years left for him though.

Which is correct to think is that he is the best promise french rider since Fignon without doubts. 6 professional victories in one month as a second year professional, the Top10 in the TDF plus stage, the TDS performance this year... any french rider since Fignon have done things like these with only 22.

But precocity no always guarantee a brilliant future. See Damiano Cunego or Yaroslav Popovych.

Pinot is in the right way at the moment.

I don't think it's wise to use Popo or Cunego as examples! (Clinic that way to the left).

I think he'll podium at the Tour. Has a cycling brain. I do wonder if other teams will attempt to lure him away from FDJ and promise him a real team of helpers.

Madiot won't let him out of his clutches.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I think it'd be a bad idea for him to move to a foreign team. He's doing well at fdj and madiot's approach with him seems to be working. im not sure what madiot has changed but it's clearly working. Maybe he isn't screaming at riders as much :p. Another young French talent romain sicard ( I think he won the u23 world title) moved to euskatel and he's done terribly, he's a nobody now really. I truly hope pinot doesn't become like that or fade away. He's a great prospect for the future and i'd hate to see him disappear. Both him and Rolland are great talents.

As for his tt, it didn't go too badly. He only lost something like 15 seconds in the first flat 15km. He's only 22 so his tt will keep improving. He isn't losing too much in tt's currently anyway.

Roman Sicard didn't move to a foreign team. He is Basque so Euskaltel is his home country team, not a french team. And he has been plagued with knee injuries so its unfair to flame the team for that.

Either way he seems to be slowly returning to his former level and has already showed some signs of improvement this year, so lets not write him off without giving him a chance.

Parrulo said:
Romain Sicard didn't move to a foreign team. He is Basque so Euskaltel is his home country team, not a french team. And he has been plagued with knee injuries so its unfair to flame the team for that.

Either way he seems to be slowly returning to his former level and has already showed some signs of improvement this year, so lets not write him off without giving him a chance.

fixed it for you ;)

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I have been a fan since the days of Roche, Lemond and Fingon and have seen riders come and go I recall getting excited by Oscar Seville and Abraham Olano both of whom threatened to be the next best thing and then fizzled into mediocrity as far as the TDF was concerned.
Now I am Not saying that Pinot is a one hit wonder, but i need another solid ride from him this year to be convinced. Heres hoping for some Gallic penache in the years ahead

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
Mikkel Condé v2.0‏@mrconde2m
Great [French] documentary about @ThibautPinot getting ready for the Tour de France:

http://player.canalplus.fr/#/887390

Nice vid.

Thanks for the link :) watched even tho i don't speak french. Hoping Pinot makes top 5 or fourth. Madiot's screaming cracks me up everytime :D
Would really like to see pinot do the giro and vuelta in a year instead of fixating on the tour like most french/andy schleck does. That approach historically has been the death of a lot of french talents. Really think the giro would suit pinot...

TRENDING THREADS