• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Pinot thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Biggest disappointment of Le Tour for me, i was expecting at least the same kind of performance than last year.

Some furious stacks like Dan Marting and Fuglsang today and keeping up with the best on the mountains, but he really sucks till this point.

there was a long article in l'equipe today, he was totally scared in yesterday's stage and utterly disappointed afterwards. it seems to be more a mental than a physical thing, I hope he can recover from that and still go for a stage win

search said:
there was a long article in l'equipe today, he was totally scared in yesterday's stage and utterly disappointed afterwards. it seems to be more a mental than a physical thing, I hope he can recover from that and still go for a stage win

That really isn't good, we have seen how that destroyed Wiggins in the Giro. If he cant get over this he wont be having any say in GT's in the future.

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
search said:

Yeah, he has a phobia of crashing or something like that, thought he was over it but had a crash earlier in the season & so is definitely finding it tough mentally. Seems a hellish thing for a cyclist to have to deal with.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, haven't had a chance to check the results until now. 130th at 25 minutes! There has got to be something wrong with him. Really disappointing to see, I expected a lot more from him this Tour. :( Hopefully he can still get a stage win later on.

search said:

Thanks, I missed the stage on Saturday but recorded it. Was he in the lead group at the top of Port de Pailhères and then lost tons of time in the descent? The conditions were good too unlike in the Giro. I don't think I remember that happening to a GC contender since I watch cycling!

forkboy84 said:
Yeah, he has a phobia of crashing or something like that, thought he was over it but had a crash earlier in the season & so is definitely finding it tough mentally. Seems a hellish thing for a cyclist to have to deal with.
This is why:
"Pinot sufrió una caída cuando era niño y afronta los descensos con miedo. Su compañero Laurent Mangel ya advertía hace meses en el programa Cadre Sup de Canal + France cuál era la principal debilidad de Pinot: “duda al trazar, no sabe cómo afrontar las curvas y eso le hace ir más despacio y con más riesgos."

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=63755

maltiv said:
I'm sorry, this is my fault. I put both Pinot and TJVG on all my manager teams. Obviously they've been the two biggest failures of the race so far :p

Van Garderan I'm not surprised at completely, although the level to which he's getting dropped in rather shocking. Pinot though I expected so much more. He's coming in with Stuart O-freaking-Grady! WTF!! Has there been any explanation for his dismal performance?

Edit: Nevermind. Cineteq thanks for the link. Makes last year's performance even more impressive. Hope he can overcome this barrier. He's a huge talent.

Last year he won a stage with 6 descents and a finish 16 km after the final mountain. It was the "many tough but non-HC climbs and a finish after a long descent" kind of stage of last year, which is equivalent to Sunday's stage this year. How come he came nowhere near that performance? He could descend OK last year when he put his mind to it, I think that it's the pressure from French media that caused him to crack. Last year he was great in the Alps and then all the French hype and disappeared in the Pyrenees (maybe there was something else back then but I don't recall anything). Should get much better with age and experience.

Rajna31 said:
Last year he was great in the Alps and then all the French hype and disappeared in the Pyrenees (maybe there was something else back then but I don't recall anything). Should get much better with age and experience.

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=21641

Edit: To be honest, very few climbers can hold Cav and most of the sprinters wheel on a descent, they usually descent like maniacs to beat time limit, so thats not suprising at all. I still dont understand how he lost so much time, he was probably descending worse than Basso because of huge fear

The odd thing though is that in the Tour de Suisse he finished only 9 seconds behind the leaders in stage 7 and 46 seconds in stage 2. Both these stages ended in a descent, and I'm almost positive he was dropped by the summit in both.

I'm really wondering what happened in the last few weeks that totally shattered his confidence. It's not like he's taking it a bit easy in the descents, he seems completely terrified.

Can only appreciate that he aknowledges his problem and not making it everyone elses problem with 'too dangerous descents'..

he did that too but bardet thought him a lesson on twitter
hope he can go over this, descending at high speed is frightening, can't blame him

Ramira said:
The odd thing though is that in the Tour de Suisse he finished only 9 seconds behind the leaders in stage 7 and 46 seconds in stage 2. Both these stages ended in a descent, and I'm almost positive he was dropped by the summit in both.
I'm really wondering what happened in the last few weeks that totally shattered his confidence. It's not like he's taking it a bit easy in the descents, he seems completely terrified.

Nope, was dropped in the descent of both of those stages

Ramira said:
Hmmm must have recalled that wrong. Still those losses are nowhere near what he's doing right now.

Higher stakes, higher speeds=greater pressure. I can relate to the fear of descending at a high speed on very technical descentes. The wide sweeping descentes that don't necessarily require a great deal of skill in following the proper line through a curve I love but the technical ones can be very intimidating and even more so at race speed and in his case the weight of an entire nation's cycling fans on your shoulders. Once again I hope he overcomes this fear, he's such a talent and I've waited for the next truly great French climber to surface he, more than anyone else in the past 10 years or so seemed like the real thing.

TRENDING THREADS