• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Pinot thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
Can only appreciate that he aknowledges his problem and not making it everyone elses problem with 'too dangerous descents'..

he did that too but bardet thought him a lesson on twitter
hope he can go over this, descending at high speed is frightening, can't blame him

Can you expand? Hadn't heard of this twitter exchange previously.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Vino's Mum said:
Some big descents coming up, and Thibaut calls it a day: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-out-of-tour-de-france

Gutted for him, and I'm not sure where he goes from here.

Really sad, I hope he can get his head on straight and get past his descending problems. Despite his sub-par performance this Tour, I still see him as a big talent with a lot of potential. He just needs to move past his problems and unlock that potential once again. Really hope he can.

greenedge said:
I'm afraid going downhill, but ever since i started on my L's (in a car with parent supervision- still) i'm going faster apparently/ will take corners better.

It's all due to my height, bike hypochondria, bad eyesight and crashing.

(Almost) every rider ****s his pants the first time going down a real descent. I just got more comfortable by riding more often, but im still not happy while doing it.

Pinot's problem was a little different though, hopefully he has gotten over it.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Pinot

It would appear that the FDJ team leader and French TDF hopeful has an aversion to rocketing down steep mountains at breakneck speed. It is an aversion i share, however good i got at climbing, there is no waaaay i would risk my neck descending at speeds of 80km an hour. But it is part and parcel of cycling.
To what extent does Pinots reluctance to risk serious injury compromise his ability to win GTs. Yes i know it depends on the course. But in gerneral terms how much of a handicap does it represent.

I'm just happy to see him back climbing with elite gc contenders at a grand tour like last year. Hope he gets over his fears and reservations on descents and reaches his full potential. He and Quintana should have some interesting battles in the future.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
I'm just happy to see him back climbing with elite gc contenders at a grand tour like last year. Hope he gets over his fears and reservations on descents and reaches his full potential. He and Quintana should have some interesting battles in the future.

Yes nice to see him back competing with the elite, back in July he had me muttering `one hit wonder` Sometimes its good to be wrong.:)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
murali said:
the good thing about this vuelta is that it has more ascents than descents when live tv starts.

And also a lot less pressure on a young french rider with a big glaring flaw (descents) Ideally he should do Giro/Vuelta next year, he can come back to the Tour age 25 with more experience, and 3/4 completed GTs under his belt.

veji11 said:
And also a lot less pressure on a young french rider with a big glaring flaw (descents) Ideally he should do Giro/Vuelta next year, he can come back to the Tour age 25 with more experience, and 3/4 completed GTs under his belt.

Not gonna happen.
I think it'll be better for him in 2014, first of all we saw in la Vualta that he was already better than in the Tour and the race car idea seems pretty sound to me, so i'm pretty confident that he'll not suffer as much as he did this year.

I think Demare can actually be a big help for him next year in the Tour, not in the mountains ofcause, but just by being there and take his share of the pressure and hopefully win a stage to boost the morale of the team and Pinot.

On the long run of cause Demare and Pinot needs to be split up, if they both reach their full potential that is, but right now they could better each other.

So i don't think he needs to stay clear of the Tour, but he might need to find a new team when his contract is up.