The Real Football Thread

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Surely France are gonna win the Euros? It's a fantastic chance, at home with an on form team. All the other big teams look off colour: Germany are losing friendlies(!); Spain aren't playing well; Italy barely have an attack and their two best midfielders are injured; England, while they have a nice attack, have a non-existent defence; and Belgium IMO are overrated. No way were they ever #1 in the world. They lost to Wales.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Surely France are gonna win the Euros? It's a fantastic chance, at home with an on form team. All the other big teams look off colour: Germany are losing friendlies(!); Spain aren't playing well; Italy barely have an attack and their two best midfielders are injured; England, while they have a nice attack, have a non-existent defence; and Belgium IMO are overrated. No way were they ever #1 in the world. They lost to Wales.

Looks and sounds to me as if a surprise is in store! It might not be one of the traditional powers that wins this. Could very well be an outsider. I feel the Germans are still the favorites. They have experience and they always manage to come through and make it to the semis or final of these big tournaments.

Oct 16, 2010
Re:

Brullnux said:
fair assessment, but since when is England a big team?
Bigged up perhaps :D

Imo England and Belgium should be classified as interesting outsiders.
France, Spain, Germany, favorits.

Oct 16, 2010
Alaba wasn't at his best in the 2nd half of the season though. Who else do they have?

What about Poland.
45 million inhabitants and football being national sport #1 they really should start doing a lot better internationally.

Re:

sniper said:
Alaba wasn't at his best in the 2nd half of the season though. Who else do they have?

What about Poland.
45 million inhabitants and football being national sport #1 they really should start doing a lot better internationally.
Fuchs, their captain has helped Leicester along the way

Poland need Lewandowski to play well I feel. If he does, then they can do well.

On paper, France should be the favourite, but we will see how they cope with expectations and the resulting pressure to perform in front of home crowd. It could spur them on, but it can also suffocate them.

Can't completely rule out Spain though. They certainly are not the biggest favourites, but the embarrasment of the World Cup should give them extra motivation to prove that their time at the top is anything but over. Individual level of their players is undoubted, how they perform as a team is the important question. Behind France, they are my second/third favourite together with Germany (in terms of likelihood to win, not who I support). Would be surprised if the winner comes outside these three.

I don't believe smaller teams have much of a chance to pull off a Greece/Denmark with one extra round of games there is as a consequence of the expansion of the tournament. In the World Cup, no overachieving outsider have gone past semifinals after that tournament became contested by 24 teams and the resulting addition of a last-16 play-off round. No reason to think it will be different with the Euros. More smaller teams in the finals, but lesser chance for a smaller team to go all the way.

Just another note:

I watched the women's CL final. This is supposed to be the TOP teams in Europe. The level is so poor, sorry. It's no wonder the women's teams always get battered by mens under 16 sides.

I know women physically can't get to the same levels of men in a demanding game such as football, and the technique is lacking too, but they must be able to get better than this. Increasing revenue is only really possible if the top leagues can get viewership, and the way the sport is now it's not very exciting. I honestly don't know what to do about it.

In other sports, like biathlon, cycling, tennis etc the women's game can be just as entertaining as the men's game. But in football, it seems like a lost cause for some reason. At least they don't dive.

Re:

sniper said:

What about Poland.
Mostly rural country and the funding was never there before like it is in western European countries.

As usual when approaching a major tournament the England players suddenly completely forget how to play football again.

Obviously they are only warm-up games and players don't want to be getting injured, however the 3 freindlies England have played have been dreadful. Hopefully they've just been 'soft-pedalling' and will be at it against Russia next Saturday but I'm not hopeful. We should get out of the group, however the first really good side we meet will spell the end. Possibly the Italians in the QF.

Like others I think France have a great chance of winning, Spain are fading and Germany are missing a couple through injuries whilst also struggling to get out of a group containing Scotland and Republic of Ireland.

I see the attendance figures for the Copa America are atrocious. There's a 65 000 seater stadium that has twice filled 13 000. The home nation had 10 000 empty seats for its last game. Only the Cali stadiums are being filled.

Guess USA may not be up for fully embracing soccer just yet, afterall

Chile with a man sent off, Messi yellow card for a dive in the box.

Both ref mistakes really, Messi just fell and that should never have been a 2nd yellow card. Chile now playing a 4-3-2...

And NOW LOL AS IM WRITING, ROJO SENT OFF. BOTH TEAMS PLAYING WITH 10 MEN.

Mar 25, 2013
Agree, poor game. The sending offs in the first half didn't help. both had to play with 10 for a long period.

Messi's mixed record at pens continues.

Re:

jsem94 said:
Messi retires from international football.... I hope he changes his mind though.
Decided it in the locker room after the match. A bit disrespectful.

Now there's something Ronaldo would never do, even though his National Team is crappier and the chances of him winning an international competition are way slimmer than Messi's.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BroDeal Non-Cycling Discussions 0
T Non-Cycling Discussions 24

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts