• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bike Boy said:
You did the job that I was too lazy to do. Thank you. Just the way I remember it. Chelsea were as defensive as one would expect in an away leg against a very strong opposition. At the Bridge chelsea were dominant in terms of chances, so they did match up to barcelona with "real" football. Based mostly on counter attacks yes, but if you create the most chances that is not bad football in my opinion.

I recon that Chelsea didn't play "real" football against Barcelona this year. But Chelsea does not in generel play that bad football. anybody remember the last time they the crowned champions of England? 103 goals in 38 games!!! yes that's right. No one in their right mind would call that "anti" football.

You are slowly getting around to my point of view, I dont think Chelsea play bad football at all but they definitely change their style to play Barcelona. Like Madrid last season, one of the most attacking teams in the world resorting to negative, cynical football for one team only. If they were vastly inferior teams, I would be more accepting but these are some of the biggest and best clubs in the world resorting to 'anti-football' tactics. Unless you are a fan of said clubs or are anti-Barcelona which a lot are, it is not nice to watch.

I am not even a Barcelona fan but when they play at top form, they are a joy to watch and that is something I admire and would think most neutrals would feel the same.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Im happy that City won, but I was hoping for more goals (or even shots on goal). There werent really any close shots except for clichy's. But I think City will win the league. They will only get stronger from this win as they now have the momentum. (and come transfer season they will get even stronger).

It would be sweet to see Balotelli play in the next games because hes awesome. He always manages to make it exciting haha

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
You are slowly getting around to my point of view, I dont think Chelsea play bad football at all but they definitely change their style to play Barcelona. Like Madrid last season, one of the most attacking teams in the world resorting to negative, cynical football for one team only. If they were vastly inferior teams, I would be more accepting but these are some of the biggest and best clubs in the world resorting to 'anti-football' tactics. Unless you are a fan of said clubs or are anti-Barcelona which a lot are, it is not nice to watch.

I am not even a Barcelona fan but when they play at top form, they are a joy to watch and that is something I admire and would think most neutrals would feel the same.

Not so much me slowly getting around. I'm just lazy an worn down from overworking, so I didn't took the time to explain my own points. I understand your point perfectly.

To be fair you did write (And I'm too lazy to quote anything..!) something a long the lines that Chelsea kind of did the same thing 3 years ago, So I jump to the conclusion that you didn't find youself entertained in the 2009 semis ??? (or should I say, less entertained than you had hoped for, just to be sure I make my self understandable). In that light I think you will understand why I wrote that post defending the quality of the football chelsea delivered.

Nuff' about 3 years ago. The point I really wanted to make was regarding your romantic and naive view when you say that it's sad big teams change their style against Barcelona. What's really sad is that the club you played for resort to this kind of football, during a whole season. that's really really sad. I suppose we are talking amateur level?

When teams like United, Inter, Chelsa and Real do it we are talking about professional footballers at the very highest level. the very best players in the world and yet it's never a given they will get to lift the most prestigous trophy in club football. Yes the manager decide the tactic but it's a whole unit of professional people.

For med the scene with Ballack chasing tom henning ovrebø more than anything illustrates what I'm talking about. Ballack really is a sad case. in 2002 he lost three finals. Champions league, german cup and the last one.... ohhh... the world cup of course. I never advocate bad behaviour. But I think Ballack showed a very human reaction, Drogba on the other hand took it too far, as always.

To be honest I really don't get your point. Big teams will always change their style against barcelona (as long as Iniesta And Xavi are superb). Closing down areas on the center of the pitch should always be top priority for the opponent, it's the key to break them, everybody knows that. Obviously it makes it very difficult to have a lot of players going forward. And that's also the reason why 2009 semi's is a textbook study of how to play Barcelona, despite the result. Somehow chelsea were able to push the numbers into the box on multiple attacks.

To underline my point take the last match against rayo as an example. 7 goals alright. But it's boring because it's never a contest. Okay many spanish teams lack physic beacause they all have technical players in abundance but the totally unwillingness to change style makes the result soooo! predictable. How is that "good" football?

gooner said:
Dont know if anyone has seen it but what about those 2 great goals that Pa**** Demba Cisse scored tonight for Newcastle against Chelsea. The second one in particular was a brilliant strike. He has been one super signing. I knew him when he was at Freiberg and I thought he was a good player but he has even exceeded all my expectations so far. Bargain of the season for me. I bet a lot of clubs regret not signing him now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efz0PgGTw-4

Edit: That word fliter blocking out his name.

I really think Newcastle are gonna screw City up at the weekend, they have that CL spot in their sights.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
I really think Newcastle are gonna screw City up at the weekend, they have that CL spot in their sights.

they won't be able to hold on such a great level of courage and emotions (that is very important, I think) as they did against Chelsea. I tend to think Newcastle will lose.

Sadly, Redknapp continued to gain points... That collapse couldn't last forever. But anyways they will stay 4th :D

germany provisional for euro 2012 looks good

GERMANY

Goalkeepers
Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern München), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Tim Wiese (SV Werder Bremen), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96)

Defence
Holger Badstuber (FC Bayern München), Jerome Boateng (FC Bayern München), Benedikt Höwedes (FC Schalke 04), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Philipp Lahm (FC Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal FC), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders
Lars Bender (Bayer 04 Leverkusen), Sven Bender (Borussia Dortmund), Julian Draxler (FC Schalke 04), Mario Götze (Borussia Dortmund), Ilkay Gündogan (Borussia Dortmund), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (FC Bayern München), Thomas Müller (FC Bayern München), Mesut Özil (Real Madrid), Lukas Podolski (1.FC Köln), Marco Reus (Borussia Mönchengladbach), André Schürrle (Bayer 04 Leverkusen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern München)

Forwards
Cacau (VfB Stuttgart), Mario Gomez (FC Bayern München), Miroslav Klose (Lazio Roma)

Provisional Holland squad for Euro 2012

Maarten Stekelenburg (Roma), Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Michel Vorm (Swansea City), Erwin Mulder (Feyenoord), Jasper Cillissen (Ajax); Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma (PSV), Urby Emanuelson (Milan), John Heitinga (Everton), Hedwiges Maduro (Valencia) Joris Mathijsen (Malaga), Alexander Büttner (Vitesse), Nick Viergever (AZ), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Jetro Willems (PSV); Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona), Mark van Bommel (Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Adam Maher (AZ), Stijn Schaars (Sporting), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV); Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke), Ola John, Luuk de Jong (both Twente), Siem de Jong (Ajax), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (PSV), Luciano Narsingh (Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
There are reports going around that Arsenal have agreed a fee with Rennes for Yann M`Vila. The fee is meant to be 22m euros which will make him our most expensive signing. Any of our french posters hear anything about it in France.

He is an excellent player who I know very well and I rate him very highly and I hope this is true. I think he will be the best defensive midfielder in the world in a couple of years and he is precisely what we need to protect our back four.

Desailly said he will end up being a better player than Vieira ever was. Some statement.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1175980-arsenal-breaking-news-yann-mvila-deal-is-99-percent-done?
Is it true that Podolski is going to Arsenal?

Rechtschreibfehler said:
Come on, you must be able to elaborate on this!

What exactly with picking a proven joker and a guy of immense talent?
Also Draxler really is a kind of player that wasn't in the squad before, so he would give them more options attacking if he'd be chosen.

Cacau has had an absolute horrible season.
If you really want to take 3 strikers (which is stupid anyway), then it should have been Hanke or Helmes. Hell even Kuranyi would be alot more deserving.
And Draxler is an absolute joke. This guy has shown nothing which justifies a spot on the natuional team yet.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
That midfield is a pure embarrassment of riches.

The upside is that he can only play three of them at a time.:D

Van Marwijk will have his work cut out for him trying to get the top scorers of the PL and Bundesliga to play together. It isn't going to be easy.:confused:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Cacau has had an absolute horrible season.
If you really want to take 3 strikers (which is stupid anyway), then it should have been Hanke or Helmes. Hell even Kuranyi would be alot more deserving.
And Draxler is an absolute joke. This guy has shown nothing which justifies a spot on the natuional team yet.

I respect Hanke for his attitude and his motivation but he's one of the worst strikers there are. I think during his time in Hannover he didn't score a goal for almost two years. This is the first year where I feel like he has done a good season. Cacau on the other hand is a sure deal, he'll come in and he'll score ... even if this wasn't his best season I feel like he has proven his worth time and again, whereas Hanke not really.

Kuranyi I don't know since I don't follow Russian league :eek: Draxler will likely be cut I believe. Also ter Stegen and Schmelzer, although I hope he will keep both of them

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I am interested to see how Poland will do. Being a fan of Borussia Dortmund, I have a lot to be thankful for - 2/3 of all goals this season were scored with direct contribution of a polish player (Piszczek, Blaszikowski and Lewandowski). Fans and media even started refering to the club as "Polonia" Dortmund. I hope they can get to 1/4 finals and then who knows maybe they will surprise against a big team, after all they will have the home turf advantage!

Yes, Falcao was at times almost unplayable tonight. Athletic put a lot of pressure on in the second half, and the final score flatters Atlético. However, that's always the way when you have to attack, leave gaps at the back. By the time Athletic had ground into the right gear, Falcao had already left them with too much to do to get back into it. Some uncertain defending in the first half and uncertain finishing in the second.

It's been a great run to get where they have, but ultimately it looks like the league season plus two great cup runs has just taken too much of the energy out of Bilbao's limited squad; they looked laboured at first, and it took them a long time to get the feel for the game. I feel like, in retrospect, maybe the in-form Ibai Gómez should have started in place of probably Ander Herrera, who was out of sorts tonight, but that's hindsight talking.

Here's hoping the Copa del Rey final goes a bit better for them.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm sad that Athletic were unable to approach the form we have seen from them earlier this Euro-season. For some reason, I have never liked Atletico, but their win was, of course, fully deserved. Falcao was a monster.

Libertine Seguros said:
I feel like, in retrospect, maybe the in-form Ibai Gómez should have started in place of probably Ander Herrera, who was out of sorts tonight, but that's hindsight talking.
Don't know. We (well, not me, the players) started slow and ¡qué bonito es el ambiente! attitude. we did not widened the field (omg i'm drunk and unabled to write in english). We were 2 goals down, and could not produce. Sólo llorar, llorar, llorar... buah buah! But...¡que nos quiten lo bailao! I think that Herrera did his job, but it's difficult to fight a Simeone's team when they have one goal advantage after 9 min.

Libertine Seguros said:
Here's hoping the Copa del Rey final goes a bit better for them.
Do you mean... the "Elephant Hunter's Cup"?
A lo loco, a lo loco , a lo loco... a lo loco se vive mejor...

TRENDING THREADS