• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Couldn't agree more. Do you happen to know why Pep refused to shake hands after the Bayern game?

I didn't see the game but I was reading this morning it was over some of the tackles made by the MLS side which he wasn't happy with.

The president of the US FA said they cleared the air afterwards.

Sunil Gulati @sunilgulati · 9h
All good with Pep Guardiola and Caleb Porter. With them for nice handshake outside the locker room after the game. #MLSAllStar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Ter Stegen, Suarez and Rakitic are excellent signings for Barca but I'm not too impressed with their acquisitions elsewhere for the money invested.

Vermaelen has been on the wane at Arsenal for the last couple of seasons and costs 19m euros, Mathieu is nothing special and with everyone fit probably won't start - costs 20m euros, and Bravo who is a cover keeper was 12m euros.

Around 50m for the above isn't the best piece of business in my opinion.

Talk about being screwed on a technicality

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Warsaw-kicked-fielding-ineligible-player.html

Legia won 6-1on aggregate but result overturned because a substitute that came on in the last minute of the 2nd leg who had no impact on the result was still serving a suspension from last season. His suspension should have been over but Legia didn't fill in the paperwork the previous time or something.

As a result UEFA swing the tie 5 goals and send Celtic though on away goals.

I get why the decision was made but since the infraction Legia commited was something so minor that has no impact on the result, it feels real harsh. It would sort of be like taking the tdf away from Nibali and handing it to Peraud because they found out that on the champs elysee stage one of his teammates had a bike that didn't meet uci requirements.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Yup, Legia got shafted, but my Celtic friends are well pleased.:D

In other news, serious discussions taking place about Eto moving to Ajax, though I don't see how Ajax can accede to his salary demands in view of the established policy of recent years. Still, interesting....what team on Ajax's level wouldn't want Eto, especially when you're desperate for a striker?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Talk about being screwed on a technicality

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Warsaw-kicked-fielding-ineligible-player.html

Legia won 6-1on aggregate but result overturned because a substitute that came on in the last minute of the 2nd leg who had no impact on the result was still serving a suspension from last season. His suspension should have been over but Legia didn't fill in the paperwork the previous time or something.

As a result UEFA swing the tie 5 goals and send Celtic though on away goals.

I get why the decision was made but since the infraction Legia commited was something so minor that has no impact on the result, it feels real harsh. It would sort of be like taking the tdf away from Nibali and handing it to Peraud because they found out that on the champs elysee stage one of his teammates had a bike that didn't meet uci requirements.
When it was clear that UEFA was opening an investigation, Celtic had the opportunity to tell UEFA to cancel proceedings and let things as they are. Before UEFA reached their verdict, Legia indeed tried to contact Celtic to discuss the matter in those terms , i.e. to ask for leniency in the spirit of fair play.
However, Celtic didn't answer any of Legia's phonecalls/emails.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
When it was clear that UEFA was opening an investigation, Celtic had the opportunity to tell UEFA to cancel proceedings and let things as they are. Before UEFA reached their verdict, Legia indeed tried to contact Celtic to discuss the matter in those terms , i.e. to ask for leniency in the spirit of fair play.
However, Celtic didn't answer any of Legia's phonecalls/emails.

And their completely right with that. Would Legia do it? No of course not the money is huge. Scottish football is probably biggest laughing stock these days anyway it is like a pub league. You know something is wrong losing 6-1 to some crap Polish team. I think the ruling was very harsh though not like the players makes the AGG score that high. I could sort of understand if he gets the winner.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Manchester United t win the leage this year. Team looking great i don't care if it is pre season we have beat some huge teams. We need a cbk and cmid, prefrably Vidal. Herrara is like a young Cesc from Arsenal but alot quicker. Chelsea will be favorites though i think.

TANK91 said:
And their completely right with that. Would Legia do it? No of course not the money is huge. Scottish football is probably biggest laughing stock these days anyway it is like a pub league. You know something is wrong losing 6-1 to some crap Polish team. I think the ruling was very harsh though not like the players makes the AGG score that high. I could sort of understand if he gets the winner.

He wasn't on the field for any of the goals.

The Hitch said:
He wasn't on the field for any of the goals.

That does not matter, you simply cannot be on the field of play if you are banned. The fact is it was a huge mistake from Legia to have not registered the guy for the previous round's tie and now they are made to pay, I find it laughable how nobody at the club realised the guy had not been registered for the previous tie's so still had part of the ban to serve.

Of course it is unfortunate but the rules are rules and must be abided.

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
kingjr said:
Transition phase, isn't that what the English national football (soccer) team has been going through for the past 44 years?

That's unfair - 24 years ago we had the best team in the tournament and lost to you lot, more like "we create shi*t footballers" something the Germans learned after euro 2000 and the 5-1 spanking in Munich. And this year cheering you on to not only thrash Brazil but win the whole damn lot - surreal.

Hopefully we will copy you and the Belgians but I'm not holding my breath as we are too short term. Rather like many people who want doping in sports gone totally. It's going to happen too slowly for many but I can clearly see the shade overall is getting whiter in cycling..

Gavandope said:
Hopefully we will copy you and the Belgians but I'm not holding my breath as we are too short term. Rather like many people who want doping in sports gone totally. It's going to happen too slowly for many but I can clearly see the shade overall is getting whiter in cycling..

You cant just copy a model and be fine with it. You need the various players as well. Ze germans and the belgians (although mind-blowing overrated as a team) has a fine generation footballers from back to their youth days. Englands problem is as i believe besides lack of a winning mentality, also lack of a gameplan and has many onedimensional types of players. You have too many Lampards, Gerrards and Rooneys of this world.

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
No_Balls said:
You cant just copy a model and be fine with it. You need the various players as well. Ze germans and the belgians (although mind-blowing overrated as a team) has a fine generation footballers from back to their youth days. Englands problem is as i believe besides lack of a winning mentality, also lack of a gameplan and has many onedimensional types of players. You have too many Lampards, Gerrards and Rooneys of this world.

Copying their model of youth coaching and qualified coaches with kids is exactly what needs to be done. Our golden generation was 86-96 when we had players who were skilful, had talent and vision. Ever since then just these workhorse clones. Even Rooney has got far, far less talent than Gazza had in one leg!

The end of 'kick and rush' 4-4-2 for kids instead of learning to love the football and playing 4-3-3 will be a great start. Would be nice if we subsidised the uefa badges for coaches like the Germans too. Us having 2,000 uefa badge coaches and the Germans 40,000 says it all and now they are reaping the rewards.

They realised that you have to turn a footballer into an athlete. Our attempts at turning athletes into footballers simply doesn't work hence why we are a load of old pony in the international game! I sound like Chrissy Waddle on the radio cos he's 100% right!

Gavandope said:
Copying their model of youth coaching and qualified coaches with kids is exactly what needs to be done. Our golden generation was 86-96 when we had players who were skilful, had talent and vision. Ever since then just these workhorse clones. Even Rooney has got far, far less talent than Gazza had in one leg!

The end of 'kick and rush' 4-4-2 for kids instead of learning to love the football and playing 4-3-3 will be a great start. Would be nice if we subsidised the uefa badges for coaches like the Germans too. Us having 2,000 uefa badge coaches and the Germans 40,000 says it all and now they are reaping the rewards.

They realised that you have to turn a footballer into an athlete. Our attempts at turning athletes into footballers simply doesn't work hence why we are a load of old pony in the international game! I sound like Chrissy Waddle on the radio cos he's 100% right!

We're way off topic now, but I can't resist. You're obviously too young (or perhaps too old?) to remember Euro 1992, or our attempts to qualify for WC'94 if you think a midfield of Geoff Thomas, David Batty, Andy Gray (not the cheeky Scottish misogynist, but the Crystal Palace bruiser) and Carlton Palmer was in any way 'golden'.

I actually watched the QF game in 1990 again recently - and while I don't particularly subscribe to the revisionist England were dead lucky in that game (we had a stonewall penalty turned down at 1-0, after which Cameroon went down the other end and got their own penalty (which, incidentally was the result of shocking defending, and not good attacking play), and we had a 10 minute dodgy patch), the overall standard was shocking. Completely shocking. We also ended up with Mark Wright playing wide right for the whole of extra-time in that game.

If you exclude Gazza (and ignore his alcoholism and injuries and pretend the '91 cup final didn't effectively end his time as a world class player) the idea that we had a golden generation in the early '90s is laughable. Properly laughable.

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
RownhamHill said:
We're way off topic now, but I can't resist. You're obviously too young (or perhaps too old?) to remember Euro 1992, or our attempts to qualify for WC'94 if you think a midfield of Geoff Thomas, David Batty, Andy Gray (not the cheeky Scottish misogynist, but the Crystal Palace bruiser) and Carlton Palmer was in any way 'golden'.

I actually watched the QF game in 1990 again recently - and while I don't particularly subscribe to the revisionist England were dead lucky in that game (we had a stonewall penalty turned down at 1-0, after which Cameroon went down the other end and got their own penalty (which, incidentally was the result of shocking defending, and not good attacking play), and we had a 10 minute dodgy patch), the overall standard was shocking. Completely shocking. We also ended up with Mark Wright playing wide right for the whole of extra-time in that game.

If you exclude Gazza (and ignore his alcoholism and injuries and pretend the '91 cup final didn't effectively end his time as a world class player) the idea that we had a golden generation in the early '90s is laughable. Properly laughable.

Yes sorry too but I have to respond too with this off topic bit lol. I've watched all the WC90 games more than once over the years.

Few points - Graham Taylor hoof-ball, a complete and utter moron tactically to Sir Bob. Gazza was injured. Post Gary Charles robbed us of having one of the very greatest in the game. The words from Diego who said he is my successor in 1990 summed it up perfectly. Post knee op still an exceptional player, Venables book that came out recently even said we just give him the ball when he was in charge up to Euro 96. I doubt very much that he would have destroyed himself like he did when Glenda dropped him as he was head and shoulders the best player on the whole pitch qualifiying for the WC in Italy away. Never ever let down the country wearing the 3 lions shirt no matter what state he was in. When his so called replacement got sent off where was he to come to our rescue yet again? In a bottle somewhere sadly.

Coming from a Mackem rating a Magpie as the best we've ever had talent wise is no easy achievement

Players - Gazza aside when have we had better ball players than Waddle, Hoddle, Beardsley since? Scholes is possibly the only one that came close.

Now look at the Germans now after they changed their coaching with kids nearly 15 years ago. Footballers who are athletes with a shed load in reserve they couldn't even take to Brazil.

Us - we have only had a world class left back since 96, who we left at home stupidly and his so called replacement couldn't defend!

THANKS MODS FOR MOVING IT!

del1962 said:
Not thinking Le Tiss(not part of 1990 squad), more the ditching of Beardsley and Waddle

Fair enough. They were both great players, and yeah, Waddle definitely should have played more for England at the time (Beardsley less so as I remember - there's a reason Liverpool got shot of him in 1991 - Ian Wright has more of a shout for being hard done by as a striker who didn't get picked by Taylor imo). But since both players came through in the late '70s, and were in their 30s in the early '90s, calling them part of a golden generation of 86-96 is a stretch.

But yeah, the Graeme Taylor year's are best forgotten, and make my laugh when people complain about Rooney now, or the noughties team that could only get to the QFs of major tournaments. . .

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
No_Balls said:

Ark at it, look we as a nation do bad but Eng players always do well for their club, Gerrard is as good as Schweinsteiger peak vs peak. Yet we have best league in world not bad for a country who produces world class players like Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney. And yes Rooney is still world class the guy is too determined for his own good he needed to just play striker all his life but he likes chasing back. Check the year CR7 left Rooney carried United.

RownhamHill said:
Fair enough. They were both great players, and yeah, Waddle definitely should have played more for England at the time (Beardsley less so as I remember - there's a reason Liverpool got shot of him in 1991 - Ian Wright has more of a shout for being hard done by as a striker who didn't get picked by Taylor imo). But since both players came through in the late '70s, and were in their 30s in the early '90s, calling them part of a golden generation of 86-96 is a stretch.

But yeah, the Graeme Taylor year's are best forgotten, and make my laugh when people complain about Rooney now, or the noughties team that could only get to the QFs of major tournaments. . .

Both Waddle and Beardsley came through in the eighties, they where both 29 when Taylor took over, why Liverpool got rid of PB I will never know, Keegan picked him up for a bargain in 93 and was one of the best playes in the PL for the next two seasons, I have a feeling he did not get on with Dalgleish (that was the rumour at the time anyway)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Man United need some new signings.
Cuadrado and Hummels I think would be great reinforcements.
No need (yet) for Di Maria, I think, with lefties Mata and Van Persie in the squad.

TRENDING THREADS