• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tomic peaked at like 15th in the world and he made a Wimbledon QF? I don't think he could've done much better than that. Never saw him as a consistent top 10 player cause the athleticism to do much more just isn't there.

Kyrgios is a really overrated talent as well, and I think it's also part of the reason guys like these lose motivation. They try for a while, don't get nearly the results they want, and then just kinda give up. You're not a potential Wimbledon winner if you get stomped 61 76 64 by Kei Nishikori. You're not a potential Slam winner on HC if you get outplayed 15-1 in long rallies vs Dimitrov in the Cincinnati final in 2017.

Quite often I think the talent of players is way too much rated dependent on getting decent results early, even when players have very obvious weaknesses that they can't ever fix.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm more talking about the young players as a whole than specifically Auger Aliassime. He has choked a few of his biggest matches so far though. Probably still the brightest prospect of the bunch.

Ah, okay then. He wasn't really close today, though.

He has one thing going for him: He is not from the 90s (if I turn a blind eye to the fact that the year 2000 actually is part of the 200th decade). It would be pretty hilarious if he should be the first slam winner born later than 1988.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Tomic peaked at like 15th in the world and he made a Wimbledon QF? I don't think he could've done much better than that. Never saw him as a consistent top 10 player cause the athleticism to do much more just isn't there.

Kyrgios is a really overrated talent as well, and I think it's also part of the reason guys like these lose motivation. They try for a while, don't get nearly the results they want, and then just kinda give up. You're not a potential Wimbledon winner if you get stomped 61 76 64 by Kei Nishikori. You're not a potential Slam winner on HC if you get outplayed 15-1 in long rallies vs Dimitrov in the Cincinnati final in 2017.

Quite often I think the talent of players is way too much rated dependent on getting decent results early, even when players have very obvious weaknesses that they can't ever fix.

https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-uds-cse&cx=007466294097402385199:m2ealvuxh1i&q=https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/04/wimbledon-fine-bernard-tomic-45000-prize-money-lasck-of-effort-first-round-defeat-tennis&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwicmPG2q5_jAhV_63MBHRMhCB4QFjABegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw2l0kEauQETbJexBRwlHRXP

Basically agree with you. He could have been a regular top 20 player or a bit higher. This latest news is just embarrassing and with so much controversy going on with sports betting and match fixing I'm surprised that they haven't suspended him. He has admitted tanking before and even laughed about it. The odd thing is that Tsonga thought that Tomic should have kept his match payment. His father is also a controversial figure which is a nice way of saying lunatic material. Another one of a long line of tennis parents with bad characters.

I think Tomic is just in a bad place mental health wise, and I guess his dad plays a role in that too.

Kyrgios gets more praise for trying 3 matches a year and being an overhyped talent than if he really dug in, tried his best and failed. So I think Kyrgios is just acting now most of the time and I'm guessing his sponsor contracts are pretty inflated considering his achievements.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Didn't he go 9-11 in the final set tiebreak last year against Federer in the Indian Wells final? It's not like he doesn't have the potential to win slams if he would focus a bit.
Miami semifinal 2017. 3 tiebreaks. Once again Kyrgios winning only 25% of return points. Federer had a dominance ratio of 1.3 which is huge, and losing a match with such stats is super rare. And that's in Bo3.

Kyrgios, like any other servebot, is way too dependent on tiebreaks to have a decent chance at winning a Slam. Sooner or later the luck in tiebreaks catches up with them or their serve gets broken down by a superior player. His best hope is Fedalovic retiring as soon as possible so there's less far superior players.

I don't know if outside Italy had coverage but yesterday Fognini switched to full terrorist and repeatedly claimed to the press that Wimbledon needs to be bombed and all englishmen killed after going mad with everyone (organizers, umpire, opponent, his coach) during the match. For him is not the first time that he show sociopathic attitudes, in 2017 he was thrown out of the US Open because he screamed to the female umpire that she should have been abused sexually and in 2014 he racially abused an oppenent in a minor tournament along with a long history of vulgar speaking and offenses to his oppenents and his coach and staff during matches.

Sociopathic attitudes is a huge stretch. He just says dumb *** when angry. Especially yesterday he was talking to himself.

He also got fined like $100,000 for that USO outburst while a kid like Shapovalov literally hit an umpire into a hospital and only got a $7,000 fine.

Anyway he already apologised and I don't think much will come from it. Probably a small fine and that would be that

Saying that a female umpire should be sexually abused is way but way worse than hitting one (probably unintentionally) with a ball thrown away, Fognini has serious issues whereas Shapovalov was only incautious.

Anyway i find hard to call "talking with himself" when someone goes to the italian journalists and says repeatedly what he said yesterday instead of talking about his match, and apologizing after being forced to do so doesn't change anything, it's only fake PR, something we've seen also in cycling with Moscon.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Saying that a female umpire should be sexually abused is way but way worse than hitting one (probably unintentionally) with a ball thrown away, Fognini has serious issues whereas Shapovalov was only incautious.

Anyway i find hard to call "talking with himself" when someone goes to the italian journalists and says repeatedly what he said yesterday instead of talking about his match, and apologizing after being forced to do so doesn't change anything, it's only fake PR, something we've seen also in cycling with Moscon.
AFAIK he just called her a whore.

And I disagree that verbal insults are anywhere near as severe as doing something physically dangerous

Re:

4 never in doubt QFs. Kinda sad when that happens. And it's happened a lot lately.

At least Nishikori consistently makes it to a Big 3 opponent. Pella's run was fun to watch. But it's kinda been a waiting game for the semis. Wish Murray was there.

By the way I don't think I ever denied the quality of the Big 3. If you look at the rest of the dudes in their age range they've all fallen off to some degree.

Re:

tobydawq said:
100 victories in Wimbledon for Federer.

Jaw-dropping longevity no matter what Red Rick is going to say about a weak next generation.

Definitely impressive, to say the least, but you certainly can't fault Red Rick, or anyone else, for criticizing the 'next generation.' The youngest player in the QF was Goffin, who'll be 29 in December. Then it's Pella who turned 29 in May, then Nishikori who'll turn 30 in December. Then it's Bautista-Agut who turned 31 in April, then Querrey who turns 32 in the Fall and we all know about the big three: Nadal 33, Djokovic 32 and Federer who'll be 38 next month. Where's the next generation? It's not like they are getting to the latter stages of slams and losing out only to the top dogs, they are losing early to men much lower ranked, sometimes even journeymen. It's a pity to see guys like Berdych (mostly due to injuries now), Tsonga, Verdasco, falling off the map. Ok, all three them have dealt with injuries at some stage, Verdasco issues are seemingly more with the head, but I'd much rather see players like that challenging, because they've given the top 3 issues in the past, and they are all over 30 as well. They've played the top 3 many times. Cilic seems to have shut off this year, he's done nothing, no titles and no deep runs anywhere. I think if this continues for much longer he may not stick around. Del Potro just has no luck with all the injuries he's had and Murray is another big question mark. Wawrinka came back from injuries as well but his 'peak years' was probably from Australia 2013 where he almost beat Djokovic to Roland Garros 2017 where he made the final against Nadal. He did what he could with his 'late blooming.' So we see where we are at. Tennis is still run by players in their late 20's to late 30's (Federer). There's a batch of players that are under 25 that can do something, but they just aren't good enough. The media is trying to hype them up as much as they can.

TRENDING THREADS