• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Djoko still alive. Didn't look super comfortable, but it seems to be just a sprain he can play with on painkillers and stuff. Zverev should be a bigger test, but he hasn't looked that great to me and I don't think he's had a tough first week draw in his life since first entering the top 10

Let's hope Zverev will be shown the door by Djokovic.

Comfortable win by Nadal over Fognini. A bit annoying that such a big proportion of today's matches were played in the European night (and very early morning).

Hopefully, Berrettini has recovered from his injury, otherwise it will be a walkover for Tsitsipas.

Thiem was definitely injured and/or exhausted; was not himself at all. Joker is also not looking his true self, big chance for Alex (and Grigor) to make the final. Nadal has to be favourite now after destroying Fognini.

Berrettini has officially withdrawn, so the Greek goes straight through.

Let's hope Zverev will be shown the door by Djokovic.

Comfortable win by Nadal over Fognini. A bit annoying that such a big proportion of today's matches were played in the European night (and very early morning).

Hopefully, Berrettini has recovered from his injury, otherwise it will be a walkover for Tsitsipas.
And it was literally a walkover for Tsitsipas.

I'm thorougly annoyed they didn't put Nadal/Fognini on last.

Surprisingly (at least to me), Nadal seems to just blow past Tsitsipas. Should he win the third set, he will equalise Federer's record of most consecutive sets won in Grand Slam matches (36).

And then Medvedev will await. A stiffer challenge, sure, but he was cramping in the end of his quarterfinal against Rublev (which was not very long), so it's doubtful whether he can go the distance.

So Djoko-Nadal in the final?

I honestly wonder what happens if Nadal doesn't miss the smash in the tie break. He was leading by a minibreak and barely made any mistakes. Then after this first big one there were I think two more really bad misses in the tiebreak and from there onwards he had completely lost his consistency. I feel like that moment was a real momentum swing in the tiebreak leading to a bigger one for the entire match.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
To quote the german commentators during the third set:
Zverev has clearly improved more than tsitsipas over the last year and this is your proof. Zverev can bring the fight to the big names while tsitsipas can't
While Zverevs record vs top 10 in Slams is clearly hilarious as ***, I wouldn't make an equivalence between playing Nadal and playing Djokovic at the Australian. Nadal completely self destructed and the way he played in the end I would back Zverev to win in quicker fashion.

The funniest part during the Nadal match was Mischa Zverevs courtside commentary that Tsitsipas should play more passive, cause that's the stupidest thing I've heard all tournament.

I honestly wonder what happens if Nadal doesn't miss the smash in the tie break. He was leading by a minibreak and barely made any mistakes. Then after this first big one there were I think two more really bad misses in the tiebreak and from there onwards he had completely lost his consistency. I feel like that moment was a real momentum swing in the tiebreak leading to a bigger one for the entire match.
Probably wins that tiebreak. But Nadal was already letting Tsitsipas on serve easily in the 3rd set. Both won only 4 points on return the entire set.

TRENDING THREADS