• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On one hand I think that Medvedev choked, couldn’t convert his chances midway through the third set, at 3-2 and three break points and also early in the 4th. On the other hand the crowds were once again awful. It just shows how clueless the tennis fans can be, showing no respect to Medvedev. Not even Đoković had to deal with that many boos. I hope Medvedev can recover from this mentally. He’s too good of a player to only have one GS title. He didn’t deserve to lose today.
Medvedev should maybe stop actively antagonize every crowd he plays in. He seems to idolize Djokovic yet it seems he hasn't paid attention to how he handles the crowds when he plays Nadal or Federer, or Murray at Wimbledon for that matter.

Reactions: Koronin
Medvedev should maybe stop actively antagonize every crowd he plays in. He seems to idolize Djokovic yet it seems he hasn't paid attention to how he handles the crowds when he plays Nadal or Federer, or Murray at Wimbledon for that matter.

How does Djokovic handle those crowds? Haven't watched all that much Tennis, but I did watch the 5th set today :smilecat: Could have gone either way.
And I agree, Medvedev should learn to pay less attention to those crowds. I suppose it's mostly just that those big tennis crowds are major gloryhunters. I recall that last US open was a similar thing but for Djokovic. And it's not like those US crowds idolize Novak (or actively dislike Medvedev), they just wanted to be there for a historical moment. Same thing here in AUS open. It was nice to see Nadal grab that 21st grand slam, and also make Djokovic work a bit more to get all the way (assuming he can join some grand slam eventually).

How does Djokovic handle those crowds? Haven't watched all that much Tennis, but I did watch the 5th set today :smilecat: Could have gone either way.
And I agree, Medvedev should learn to pay less attention to those crowds. I suppose it's mostly just that those big tennis crowds are major gloryhunters. I recall that last US open was a similar thing but for Djokovic. And it's not like those US crowds idolize Novak (or actively dislike Medvedev), they just wanted to be there for a historical moment. Same thing here in AUS open. It was nice to see Nadal grab that 21st grand slam, and also make Djokovic work a bit more to get all the way (assuming he can join some grand slam eventually).
Most of the times he's very stoic when they're kinda hostile or just massively favor his opponent. Or he just engages them positively after a big point. He also tends to keep his celebrations down after winning against a very hostile crowd, like when he beat Federer at the USO in 2015 or Wimbledon 2019.

Most of the times he's very stoic when they're kinda hostile or just massively favor his opponent. Or he just engages them positively after a big point. He also tends to keep his celebrations down after winning against a very hostile crowd, like when he beat Federer at the USO in 2015 or Wimbledon 2019.

It seems like most ‘fans’ either like Federer or Nadal. Everyone else almost seems irrelevant. A guy like Novak who has won 20 slams is still playing third fiddle, sometimes seems a long way behind in popularity.

Medvedev sometimes gets upset at the crowd because they don’t show respect, cheering on his mistakes, including double faults, and yelling when he’s about to serve. Hard to respect the crowd when they do that.

It seems like most ‘fans’ either like Federer or Nadal. Everyone else almost seems irrelevant. A guy like Novak who has won 20 slams is still playing third fiddle, sometimes seems a long way behind in popularity.

Medvedev sometimes gets upset at the crowd because they don’t show respect, cheering on his mistakes, including double faults, and yelling when he’s about to serve. Hard to respect the crowd when they do that.
That's what happens when you call them low IQ people after playing Kyrgios at the Australian.

It's quite funny the USO crowd in the final was extremely behind Novak, and it rattled Novak and Medvedev had 0 problem with it then simpley because he didn't choke away that match.

You would call them intelligent, with the way they behaved during the Kyrgios match?
I would not. But I would also not call them low IQ people if I wanted the crowed to treat me respectfully.

Medvedev seems to want to have it both ways. He wants to be disrespectful to umpires, opponents and the crowd and then proceeds to complain about being disrespected. He says he likes honesty then he puts up this fake too cool to care attitude when he's always one yell away from boiling over.

The way I see it, Djokovic never wanted to act like a villain, despite many saying he should while Medvedev tries to act like one and is falling flat on his face.

The funnest part is that Medvedev did this all to himself. He's not actually unpopular in comparison to his peers.

Agreed. Medvedev certainly seems to be on a similar level as Nadal and Djokovic, he's the obvious candidate for the next long term number one.
He really isn't. He's 26 soon, hasn't touched #1 even in COVID rankings and with Djokovic playing a reduced schedule and even getting deported from playing a Slam. He has an edge over his peers on HC, but he's underperformed on grass and he's straight up bad on clay.

Meds Australian Open run wasn't proof of future dominance, it was disproof. He almost lost to Aliassime, and then lost to an opponent he should've put away in the final. And while that opponent was Nadal, Nadals HC stats in the last 3 years have been pretty suss

Either there's no future dominant champion among the current crop of young players, or it's Alcaraz.

He really isn't. He's 26 soon, hasn't touched #1 even in COVID rankings and with Djokovic playing a reduced schedule and even getting deported from playing a Slam. He has an edge over his peers on HC, but he's underperformed on grass and he's straight up bad on clay.

Meds Australian Open run wasn't proof of future dominance, it was disproof. He almost lost to Aliassime, and then lost to an opponent he should've put away in the final. And while that opponent was Nadal, Nadals HC stats in the last 3 years have been pretty suss

Either there's no future dominant champion among the current crop of young players, or it's Alcaraz.
Yeah Alcaraz certainly has a much higher ceiling. He's the likeliest to be a future dominant number one.
That said, for all his limitations, Medvedev is approaching 10k ATP points and he's a machine on HC (which can be 75% of a player's schedule). I think he has pretty clearly distanced himself from the Tsitsipas, Zverev, Rublev of this world, for now at least.

Where would you set the O/U for Slams won by Medvedev at the end of his career? I'd probably say 3,5.

Yeah Alcaraz certainly has a much higher ceiling. He's the likeliest to be a future dominant number one.
That said, for all his limitations, Medvedev is approaching 10k ATP points and he's a machine on HC (which can be 75% of a player's schedule). I think he has pretty clearly distanced himself from the Tsitsipas, Zverev, Rublev of this world, for now at least.

Where would you set the O/U for Slams won by Medvedev at the end of his career? I'd probably say 3,5.
Probably something like that? Maybe 2.5? It also kinda depends on if Zverev ever decides he wants to stop being a meme player, cause I think he actually has a higher ceiling than Medvedev.

Nah, the British don't like it. Every French, German, Dutch, Italian etc. person I've interacted with has always spoken their mind and it's so much easier than dealing with British people.
I think some Americans are also definitely put off by bluntness and directness, I remember when I first moved to the States I found many of my American peers to be wishy-washy, presumably all so they wouldn't hurt your feelings. Cultural differences and all...

Having said that I would like to know what Medvedev appeared to be mumbling under his breath while the crowd was finally cheering for him at the award ceremony - can anyone here read lips? His facial expression didn't show much enthusiasm at that moment, he actually looked like he was sneering.

Reactions: BullsFan22
I think some Americans are also definitely put off by bluntness and directness, I remember when I first moved to the States I found many of my American peers to be wishy-washy, presumably all so they wouldn't hurt your feelings. Cultural differences and all...

Having said that I would like to know what Medvedev appeared to be mumbling under his breath while the crowd was finally cheering for him at the award ceremony - can anyone here read lips? His facial expression didn't show much enthusiasm at that moment, he actually looked like he was sneering.

My guess is probably something along the lines of ‘oh now you show some support?!’ :tearsofjoy:

My guess is probably something along the lines of ‘oh now you show some support?!’ :tearsofjoy:
You're being kind, I thought he was just spitting nails in his native tongue.

That said I thought the crowd definitely could have been more considerate, but all in all it was an entertaining match. I started out rooting for Rafa, but by the 5th set I didn't care anymore, I just wanted the tension and suspense to be over. :sweatsmile:

The Australian fans were quite disappointing most of the tournament, especially in the semi final when Medvedev correctly called out Tsitsipas' box for coaching.

Medvedev was more courteous and generous with his time to the media than he was entitled to be as well

Yeah, the same happens here. I much prefer the blunt, direct approach, but I'll still respond in an incredibly British way!

TRENDING THREADS