• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 1136 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Yes sir. Let me just say never once believed in Remco gaining time on Pogacar if he goes flat out thats insane for me to think on the flat after getting dropped.

Its a difference in TT that discipline is sooo much dependant on technicality into it with Aero and position and you gain so much from that and there Evenepoel is not only better than Pogacar but a master of the craft for suree. So that thing doesnt necessarily mean the other on road bikes. Watching MvdP cruise in Robauix with his motor and bonk WVA 1v1 in was it E3 ? that guy motor doesnt equal him beeing top 3 in TT same is Remco vs Pog in the flats in road race, its something completely different.

Evenepoel in top form after being dropped on a small hill could maybe close the gap (if it's small enough). This was a completely different situation here: the race was very hard (favouring the strongest climber), the gap after the climb big plus Pogacar in lifetime form (vs Remco is decent form but not his peak).

Reactions: joe_papp
Evenepoel in top form after being dropped on a small hill could maybe close the gap (if it's small enough). This was a completely different situation here: the race was very hard (favouring the strongest climber), the gap after the climb big plus Pogacar in lifetime form (vs Remco is decent form but not his peak).
It remains a maybe but I guess it depends on how hard the course is mostly for me (if its pan flat MSR edition basicly its a different ballgame id like to see that but even then it remains a maybe imo and something id like to see,but they never compete in that but sure) and indeed if the gap is 5-10sec but nothing to discuss then imo.

I agree but if he gets dropped it usually is cause the other guy has more left so its a hard task regardless in any scenario if he gets dropped vs Pogacar since Pogacar has more watts I just never seen the logic behind it.

And assume top form Evenepoel he still has to go vs this version of Pogacar I mean its a crazy big ask and tough task Ive just never visioned or believed that could happen but I agree the course plays a big part if its long and hard I say pass on every scenarioe for myself if as you say a small hill then sure maybe, depending on the lenght /how hard the race is for me. In case anyone wonder 30km flat TT I take Remco in case anyone missunderstand my point..

Last edited:
That was the stuff I was waiting for. The hilarious excuses.

Remco simply not in form. Second, over a minute in front of the next, but of course he's "not at all" in the form of his life. Brilliant! .
Pogacar in best form of his life, and Evenepoel not at all.
Evenepoel has not had the break Pogacar had so naturally for me Pogacar is more fresh I think thats only fair towards Evenepoel to say solely on this particular race alone I think thats fair to say.

That beeing said it still level to things but a top top form Evenepoel would be closer imo.

Reactions: vwpe and dobrien
That was the stuff I was waiting for. The hilarious excuses.

Remco simply not in form. Second, over a minute in front of the next, but of course he's "not at all" in the form of his life. Brilliant! .
Yeah the past few weeks Evenepoel clearly showed he was in form… And wow a minute in front of Ciccone, who is known to be an amazing 1-day rider, just look at his Liege results

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AmRacer
"He's not stupid," Lefevere told Cyclingnews when asked about Evenepoel's apparent patience.
"His goal was to do the Tour in 2025 and he did it one year before the goal. They have to give us the time we need to adapt with the possibilities we have. I can't call a Sheikh and ask for an extra five million euros, it doesn't work like that. Remco understands that."

Apparently when he was training in Paris, 3 days before the RR, he stood on the finish line and asked his coach if the Eiffel tower would be part of the picture if he stood there with his arms wide. He was already thinking about the celebration.

Yeah the past few weeks Evenepoel clearly showed he was in form… And wow a minute in front of Ciccone, who is known to be an amazing 1-day rider, just look at his Liege results
Ciccone has won Giro dell'Appennino and Trofeo Laigueglia.

He has also finished 5th in Lombardia in 2020 and he has finished 2nd in Il Piccolo Lombardia as well.

He also has a bunch of top 10s and other good results from one-day races. Especially from races in Italy over the years.

Didn't even dropped Mas and the other guy on sormano, he even lost time to them in the last km. Second over a minute because he's a generational talent, that's all
Well, I haven't seen that last kilometer before the top on tv. But Evenepoel declared after the finish that he took a few lenghts ahead of Mas and Van Eetveldt at the end of the climb (there is also a picture that shows Evenepoel dropping those two riders uphill (but I don't know where that picture was taken). As a result, those two were coocked, and Evenepoel could (easily) drop them the first km of the descent.

Would be great for Remco if they put a 2012 type route in your, no super steep stuff and 100k of flat time trials, would make it an interesting battle against pog and vingo and definitely no cobbles or gravel
I agree with a couple of 50 km+ tt, but I'd rather there be real mountain stages. I'd like an 86 type route, but I know they won't do it, certainly not as long. I'm not a fan, however, of a Tour designed to "give someone a chance". Remco is a huge talent. Let him win a proper Tour if he is able. Unfortunately, this Pogacar will be tough to beat, even for one of his talent. Of course, there is also Vingegaard to deal with.

Would be great for Remco if they put a 2012 type route in your, no super steep stuff and 100k of flat time trials, would make it an interesting battle against pog and vingo and definitely no cobbles or gravel

Against Vingo yes but against Pogi with his level this year there is no way Remco can beat him in Tour.

Still after a difficult 2023 season, it was great to see Remco bouncing back and doing an amazing summer campaign.

with the 3 aliens, a 2012 course would be an amazing tour.

the Grand Colombier, Touissuire, and the circle of death stages would be all out war today from very long distances from the finish

2012 didnt work due to the sky train and a suspended Contador

Reactions: SHAD0W93
with the 3 aliens, a 2012 course would be an amazing tour.

the Grand Colombier, Touissuire, and the circle of death stages would be all out war today from very long distances from the finish

2012 didnt work due to the sky train and a suspended Contador
And a crashed Schleck who, with the amount of time trials and his track record from the year before, surely would have tried to create carnage in the mountains. That's assuming he found some form. He wasn't looking great even before his Dauphiné crash.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Evenepoel has not had the break Pogacar had so naturally for me Pogacar is more fresh I think thats only fair towards Evenepoel to say solely on this particular race alone I think thats fair to say.

That beeing said it still level to things but a top top form Evenepoel would be closer imo.
Remco's season has been great but he might just now be fully recovered from previous injuries in the sense that he can go as hard as his form allows. He's tired, but still in the game. Remco fans and sceptics should all agree that's a good season end but not enough to beat Pogacar.
Now everyone gets to go on vacation and drink excellent Belgian beer.

It remains a maybe but I guess it depends on how hard the course is mostly for me (if its pan flat MSR edition basicly its a different ballgame id like to see that but even then it remains a maybe imo and something id like to see,but they never compete in that but sure) and indeed if the gap is 5-10sec but nothing to discuss then imo.

And assume top form Evenepoel he still has to go vs this version of Pogacar I mean its a crazy big ask and tough task Ive just never visioned or believed that could happen but I agree the course plays a big part if its long and hard I say pass on every scenarioe for myself if as you say a small hill then sure maybe, depending on the lenght /how hard the race is for me. In case anyone wonder 30km flat TT I take Remco in case anyone missunderstand my point..
Strictly speaking Remco is probably right when he says he's the one with the best chance to make up the performance gap to Pogacar. His problem in reality is that he's the guy that also needs to be at the highest Pog% because the two tend to win their races in similar ways (do races have to keep getting longer because both of them want to attack 5km earlier than the other??)

Van de Poel doesn't really need to improve his level relative to Pog much at all because of the combination with Philipsen; van Aert we have less of an idea because of recent absence but again you'd expect him to win in a different way with the strength of the team. There also used to be a guy called Alaphilippe in this conversation. But Remco is the one most needing to go head-to-head with Pogacar for a Liege or Roubaix or Worlds or MSR and of course that's extremely difficult without a big swing in their relative conditions.

Reactions: James M