• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 372 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Reactions: spalco
I mean, that probably also comes with age but has his face ever looked that lean? If that translates into climbing improvement, things get interesting.
Yes, there are twitter/instagram video's in this thread from during his recovery training end of 2020. I wonder what his weight is right now, because he wanted to lose one extra kg between Liège and Vuelta... but maybe he's already lost more than that? According to an interview he was 66.5kg during Valencia, and 64kg during Liège, aiming for 63kg to start la Vuelta, which would roughly be 3kg more than when he started the Giro.

During the Giro his weight was 60/61 kg. Clearly too low. I think his weight is now 62/63. Ideal for a mixt of endurance and climbing capacities. I'm curious about his performance on Thursday during the tough mountain stage. If he can't win convincingly there, against mediocre opponents, then it will be very difficult in a GT in the future

During the Giro his weight was 60/61 kg. Clearly too low. I think his weight is now 62/63. Ideal for a mixt of endurance and climbing capacities. I'm curious about his performance on Thursday during the tough mountain stage. If he can't win convincingly there, against mediocre opponents, then it will be very difficult in a GT in the future
Based on what was that ''clearly too low''? I can't remember many modern day GC riders of his size weighing much more than that. I think his Giro failure had more to do with the way his comeback was handled than his weight. It might be too low for top-end TT efforts though that should not be a focus in a climbing-heavy/TT-starving GT era, but certainly not in the sense of it being unhealthy for a GC rider.

Reactions: spalco
Yes he did, unless you're accusing Brian Holm of lying or you have Remco micced up 24/7. You do know a lot, and pride yourself on it as well, but you cannot know what is being said in random, 1-1 daily-stuff conversations.
I am happy to report i do not have him micced up 24/7. Your entire post seemed satirical and since i did not see any interview or a transcription of one pass by where he said that, but it somehow resembled some things he said in an interview of two days ago i assumed you were playing around or at the very least paraphrasing.

If he can't win convincingly there, against mediocre opponents, then it will be very difficult in a GT in the future
I fail to see why this race will define his GT future? He is in a build-up phase towards his goals later this season after a tiring training camp in Spain (1842 km and 31200 m of climbing during 2 weeks) including spending his nights in a low-pressure room. On top of that it's cold and wet, not his favourite environment to say the least and neither a representation of the conditions in an average GT. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if he suffers because of his training efforts and/or the weather and finds himself struggling but it wont' define his GT future at all.

I think his first day win is warning to everyone else that he's returning back to his 2020 form.

LBL was eerily similar to his victory at Classica San Sebastian except for the power of his attack on La Redoute.

The quality of Norway isn't there, but I think this is a good race to address the elements and it's also agood race to use as a confidence builder. He should be the favorite for tomorrow's Queen stage. Imho, he's the strongest climber at the Tour of Norway.

TdS will tell everyone a bit more as the course is extremely climbing heavy.

I fail to see why this race will define his GT future? He is in a build-up phase towards his goals later this season after a tiring training camp in Spain (1842 km and 31200 m of climbing during 2 weeks) including spending his nights in a low-pressure room. On top of that it's cold and wet, not his favourite environment to say the least and neither a representation of the conditions in an average GT. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if he suffers because of his training efforts and/or the weather and finds himself struggling but it wont' define his GT future at all.
Cold and wet is quite often the conditions in the Alps and Dolomites for the toughest multi mountain stages in the Giro.

How is it unrealistic to finally expect a good high mountain performance if hes trained that much then

Looking at the profile of that final climb, a good time for Remco to drop his opponents, would be at 3-4 km before the finish. The last 3 km are less steep. He could drop Johannessen Redoute style. He needs 30-40 seconds to avoid getting caught through intermediate sprints in the next 3 days imho.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ah, you missed the memo. Everything Evenepoel does defines his entire future.