• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 420 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Did Remco published this on strava and what was the climb itself?

Yes. Alto Miserat.

He went on that ride with MVDP who, on that climb, did only 21 more minutes, probably taking it easier as he seems to have done blocs of 5 minutes @ 450 watts with 3 times 1 hour @ 230w in between.

Remco doesn't upload his power data but the wattage for MVDP up Alto Miserat was of 216 watts.

Reactions: KZD
Yes. Alto Miserat.

He went on that ride with MVDP who, on that climb, did only 21 more minutes, probably taking it easier as he seems to have done blocs of 5 minutes @ 450 watts with 3 times 1 hour @ 230w in between.

Remco doesn't upload his power data but the wattage for MVDP up Alto Miserat was of 216 watts.
That's not completely accurate. You have to look at Mathieu's climb in detail. He did the climb roughly 9 minutes slower than Remco, but must have taken a break a few meters before the point where the Strava segment ended. When he eventually passed the endpoint of the segment, 22 minutes had passed since Evenepoel finished the segment.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Something tells me all this work he is putting in could backfire and he could end up blowing up towards the end of the Vuelta. Hope not as I would like to finally see how he can get on in a full GT with no excuses, baring illness, crashes or anything else out of his control. Except that most of the big guns are not participating.. I wish him well but I'm going with Hindley.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Something tells me all this work he is putting in could backfire and he could end up blowing up towards the end of the Vuelta. Hope not as I would like to finally see how he can get on in a full GT with no excuses, baring illness, crashes or anything else out of his control. Except that most of the big guns are not participating.. I wish him well but I'm going with Hindley.
Fair enough. I have more reservations with his team (know-how) than with his physical abilities.

Remco was on fire on training today, on Alto Miserat a climb 4.14 miles long at 9.6% average, he climbed almost 4 minutes faster than David Gaudu, like wtf!!
Well, Gaudu's time is from december 2019. That means it was likely a winter training ride with the team. Pinot was a few seconds slower, Küng was a minute or so slower (same team trainig camp). That doesn't really look like this was prime Gaudu or something. So it's not that clear just how impressive this effort actually was.

Remco was on fire on training today, on Alto Miserat a climb 4.14 miles long at 9.6% average, he climbed almost 4 minutes faster than David Gaudu, like wtf!!
Looking at Gaudu in this case is strange for the reasons pointed out by others above. It's very easy to say that the times of Gaudu and Pinot are completely irrelevant as they are 1 minute behind a 45 year old Dario Gadeo (set 2020) on the same segment. Gadeo retired in 2003...

So instead of thinking "wooow 4 minutes faster than Gaudu, this is insane" we should be more like "3 minutes before a 45 year old, that should be expected"

Reactions: peterfin

Wondering what you're basing this on. Surely not a Strava time...

Clearly he was super strong a couple weeks ago. Team says he's got room for a bit more. Not sure how anyone who doesn't have detailed access to his training logs and his output numbers (as well as the background to understand it all) could determine anything more than that.

I'm not dissing the lad, it's just an opinion/feeling on what I read about and what I see of him on the road (on TV). He can come out with all the massive numbers forever in training but it means jack $hit if he can't produce it during a race over 3 weeks. He's a great 1 day, 1 week stage racer, I would just like to see him produce it over 3 weeks, if only to justify his thread title on here and for his fans to say "told you so". Good luck to the lad.

I'm not dissing the lad, it's just an opinion/feeling on what I read about and what I see of him on the road (on TV). He can come out with all the massive numbers forever in training but it means jack $hit if he can't produce it during a race over 3 weeks. He's a great 1 day, 1 week stage racer, I would just like to see him produce it over 3 weeks, if only to justify his thread title on here and for his fans to say "told you so". Good luck to the lad.

Does it mean jackshit that he wins monuments?

Does it mean jackshit that he wins monuments?
Absolutely not. How many top 5 finishes has vingegaard in monuments (and you can replace him by most top 10 riders from grand tours the last 15 years)? How many grand tour top 5 finishes have Alaphilippe, Van Aert, Gilbert, ... had?
Even just looking at LBL, 50% of the winners there have never been a contender in grand tours.
He is a beast in 1 day races, a great TT rider, but unproven over 3 weeks and in genuine mountain stages with serious opposition. Even in 1 week stagers, he has not won anything like Tirreno, Paris Nice, Basque, Dauphine, Suisse, wich are considered more suited to grand tours riders and a better predictor of GT talent.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
I would just like to see him produce it over 3 weeks, if only to justify his thread title on here and for his fans to say "told you so". Good luck to the lad.
It's been 4 years and there are still people thinking that the guy making the thread (title) meant that he would be an actual ''next Merckx''? He was 18 and was riding at the juniors, nobody can predict how a career goes from that age onward. This seriously boggles my mind. The thread could just as well have been ''this guy is freakishly good, a generational talent'' because that's basically what it comes down to. The OP already said at one point that he could not sprint, so he was already aware then that RE could not be a ''next Merckx''. So why are people, 4 years later, still yammering about that?

Wait, you don't actually think Miguel Angel Lopez can fly and has laserbeam eyes, do you? Because when they call him ''superman Lopez'' it just a manner of speaking. Contador didn't REALLY shoot people either. That we know of at least.

As for what was meant by the thread title, being freakishly good and a generational talent, i think he has already delivered. You know the previous guy who got called the new/next Merckx here on the forum? That was Kelderman. He has 3 pro wins, non WT, and a NC title at the age of 31. Would it have bothered people less had Evenepoel developed much slower, or had he come not even close to the level he has, that some guy once called him the new Merckx?

Reactions: steffr222
It's been 4 years and there are still people thinking that the guy making the thread (title) meant that he would be an actual ''next Merckx''? He was 18 and was riding at the juniors, nobody can predict how a career goes from that age onward. This seriously boggles my mind. The thread could just as well have been ''this guy is freakishly good, a generational talent'' because that's basically what it comes down to. The OP already said at one point that he could not sprint, so he was already aware then that RE could not be a ''next Merckx''. So why are people, 4 years later, still yammering about that?

Wait, you don't actually think Miguel Angel Lopez can fly and has laserbeam eyes, do you? Because when they call him ''superman Lopez'' it just a manner of speaking. Contador didn't REALLY shoot people either. That we know of at least.

As for what was meant by the thread title, being freakishly good and a generational talent, i think he has already delivered. You know the previous guy who got called the new/next Merckx here on the forum? That was Kelderman. He has 3 pro wins, non WT, and a NC title at the age of 31. Would it have bothered people less had Evenepoel developed much slower, or had he come not even close to the level he has, that some guy once called him the new Merckx?

I know it's a bit of a joke with the thread title, chill out FFS.

Maybe it's responses like this and other bits of BS in the thread that puts people off liking Remco and not Remco himself. Roll on the Vuelta when it all starts again,,

Come on now, the brakeless one just wanted to see the hype confirmed in a GT (and even wished him good luck). Nothing wrong with that and no need to get all defensive.
He was calling for justification of the thread title, of which he later claims he was aware shouldn't be taken at face value. That's a bit contradictory if you ask me. So my apologies if i missed him being funny, but it's hard to tell after one too many poster who was not kidding.

We have asked before that we want to change the title but as long as the only options remain "no" and "no" we will have people jumping in that make fun of it or make a comment for the 1000th time that he has still done jack $hit in 3 week courses so the title is stupid. We all know that! He still need to complete his first 3 week race. His giro 6 months after one of the most freakish accidents in recent cycling history is not a relevant data point. Let him first ride a couple in good shape.

We have asked before that we want to change the title but as long as the only options remain "no" and "no" we will have people jumping in that make fun of it or make a comment for the 1000th time that he has still done jack $hit in 3 week courses so the title is stupid. We all know that! He still need to complete his first 3 week race. His giro 6 months after one of the most freakish accidents in recent cycling history is not a relevant data point. Let him first ride a couple in good shape.
The problem is not the thread title.

TRENDING THREADS