• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 421 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Lefevere said in an interview today with HLN, they would evaluate the situation after the ITT halfway, and decide whether to go all in for GC or not. He also said after a while, you tend not to share your ambition anymore. If he shows ambition, he is considered arrogant. If he fails, people are standing in line to crucify him.

He also says Evenepoel works like a maniac, that he doesn't know of any 22 year old who is that devoted and dedicated and trains that many hours and goes on altitude camps.

He also admitted the team has ways to go in order to become a real GC team. Not just the riders, but also staff members not having the correct mentality towards GC yet. Also something like altitude camps are done primitively within the team, unlike other teams like Ineos or TJV, where an entire crew will accompany even one or two riders.

He also admitted the team has ways to go in order to become a real GC team. Not just the riders, but also staff members not having the correct mentality towards GC yet. Also something like altitude camps are done primitively within the team, unlike other teams like Ineos or TJV, where an entire crew will accompany even one or two riders.

Kind of what we all suspected. But why is nothing still in place?

Also, are they monitoring his training at all. He is ambitious and motivated. Are they making sure he does not overtrain? That is a concern I voiced a while back and someone here said that they have ways of monitoring that. But it does not seem like they have that in place? And what about the science of refueling correctly on a 3 week GT?

Really does not bode well tbh…

Let me just point out that this Remco thread has 421 pages. The Pog thread has under 200. Can you imagine if Remco wins the Vuelta? He'll break 1000. I don't know how many pages Ving has on his thread but it can't be anywhere near Remco's.

Say what you want about Remco, everyone has an opinion on the kid. I really hope Roglic is fit and ready to go because it'll be fun seeing him go toe to toe with Remco.

Doubt it, him winning would end the main debate in this thread.
yes in theory.

however the debate would shift to how weak the vuelta was and how not in form competitors were. Mostly because they did the Giro or crashed in the Tour etc. Which would make sure he need to prove himself in the Giro next year.

And him not winning/podiumming would mean he will never be a GC riders while the others will say he is just 22year old... put a corck in it.

So I don't see this thread stopping any time soon :D

yes in theory.

however the debate would shift to how weak the vuelta was and how not in form competitors were. Mostly because they did the Giro or crashed in the Tour etc. Which would make sure he need to prove himself in the Giro next year.

And him not winning/podiumming would mean he will never be a GC riders while the others will say he is just 22year old... put a corck in it.

So I don't see this thread stopping any time soon :D

Right, but if he wins / easily podiums I could see him racing the 2023 Tour instead.

Evenepoel wants to race the 2023 TdF. If he performs it will be hard to convince him otherwise. Lefevere wants that RCS money - but they - the team - have to keep Evenepoel happy. Can't deny him yet another Tour if he steamrolls this Vuelta.

Remco picking up speed behind the derny 2 days in a row, i hope his teammates can follow him friday.
I wonder about the order in which they will rotate. Traditionally the small guys have been the worst TT'ers. But here it's almost the opposite with Evenepoel, Van Wilder and Alaphilippe. I would definitely put Van Wilder right behind Evenepoel, as he is the one with a similar build and aero profile, and good TT'er. If you put a big guy behind Evenepoel, he will only get minimal draft and tire himself more. But with Van Wilder and possibly Alaphilippe in between, the bigger guy following will get a bit more drafting. As i'm typing this, the selection is confirmed to be Serry as last piece of the puzzle.

I think it should be something like this: Evenepoel/Van Wilder/Alaphilippe>>>Cavagna/Serry>>>Vervaeke/Devenyns/Masnada
Serry behind Cavagna, and then Vervaeke and Devenyns behind them to get a good draft as i think they are the worst TT'ers. Van Wilder and Alaphilippe could also swap, both small enough and good enough not to suffer behind Evenepoel. Maybe put Masnada behind RE/IVW/JA could also work since he's a decent enough TT'er and a tad taller, so Cavagna gets a bit better draft still. But there are no real weak links (flakey climbers) in this team. I think they will kill it in the TTT.

Last edited:
I wonder about the order in which they will rotate. Traditionally the small guys have been the worst TT'ers. But here it's almost the opposite with Evenepoel, Van Wilder and Alaphilippe. I would definitely put Van Wilder right behind Evenepoel, as he is the one with a similar build and aero profile, and good TT'er. If you put a big guy behind Evenepoel, he will only get minimal draft and tire himself more. But with Van Wilder and possibly Alaphilippe in between, the bigger guy following will get a bit more drafting. As i'm typing this, the selection is confirmed to be Serry as last piece of the puzzle.

I think it should be something like this: Evenepoel/Van Wilder/Alaphilippe>>>Cavagna/Serry>>>Vervaeke/Devenyns/Masnada
Serry behind Cavagna, and then Vervaeke and Devenyns behind them to get a good draft as i think they are the worst TT'ers. Van Wilder and Alaphilippe could also swap, both small enough and good enough not to suffer behind Evenepoel. Maybe put Masnada behind RE/IVW/JA could also work since he's a decent enough TT'er and a tad taller, so Cavagna gets a bit better draft still. But there are no real weak links (flakey climbers) in this team. I think they will kill it in the TTT.

a Jean Marie LaBlanc 70km TTT special would have probably sewed up the GC for Remco

Instead, Guillen went full Govenou with an ultra short TTT. Even Pescheux was better than this

Reactions: red_flanders

TRENDING THREADS