• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 470 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
What Remco can do though is keep going after he diesels his way back up. No need to slow back down. Just go at a very hard tempo. That will wear Pog out quickly (or force Pog to go at a faster pace than he wants after an acceleration)

What blew up Pantani on Hautacam was Armstrong keeping a very high pace for a long period of time
In fairness Pantani was not in top form, but point taken. Pog is so explosive, but he can also sustain a high tempo as well, as for example when he crushed everyone in the Alpes last year. However, Ventoux last year also showed he can be ridden off the wheel too. I think Remco will need to be able to set so hard a pace that attacks are not possible. He did that at the Vuelta a couple of times, but Pog and Vingo are going to be harder nuts to crack than Mas.

Reactions: Cookster15
What Remco can do though is keep going after he diesels his way back up. No need to slow back down. Just go at a very hard tempo. That will wear Pog out quickly (or force Pog to go at a faster pace than he wants after an acceleration)

Then Vingo attacks over the top, Pog sits on Remco, attacks and bridges up to Vingo. Throw in a fully fit Rog into the mix and that's 3 top tier rides that Remco needs to watch. Remco can diesel himself up to 3rd/4th place. The Tour competition should be on another level compared to this Vuelta.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Then Vingo attacks over the top, Pog sits on Remco, attacks and bridges up to Vingo. Throw in a fully fit Rog into the mix and that's 3 top tier rides that Remco needs to watch. Remco can diesel himself up to 3rd/4th place. The Tour competition should be on another level compared to this Vuelta.
Or Remco ups his game even further and in the saddle just rides everybody off his wheel, wins the stage and seals it in the TTs.

• Love
Reactions: Big Doopie
by next season?

they already said they are done and all they got was Jan Hirt.

gotta take the rose tinted glasses off for a moment. I love the QS team but it is in no way ready to support him at the TDF.
Let's not panic just yet. If he goes to the Tour, the team will be a lot better than it was now.

First of all one of the key helpers this Vuelta, Serry, got covid. Because of that, other guys had to start working a lot sooner. Serry can do in a hilly stage what Declerq can do on flat/cobbled stages. Ride a very high pace for a long time. If you look at yesterday's stage, you could see Van Wilder pulling the peloton with 150k to go. Well, not surprising he comes up short in the final. This team had Devenyns, whom i like, but he isn't the guy to do that kind of work. He can pull a few km in a hilly final, to lead out Alaphilippe, but he isn't the donkey that will drag you up a mountain or pull for 80k on the flat. Then Alaphilippe dropped out as well, leaving Evenepoel with basically only 3 fit doms. Cavagna, Vervaeke and Van Wilder.

Masnada tried his best, but the guy had an even worse year than Van Wilder and, well, he was borderline useless. Not out of ill will, just not in good enough shape. He went in the break a few times and did try to help Evenepoel dropping back, but i think it must have mainly been mental support more than anything else.

That said, i think both Masnada and Van Wilder will be a lot better next year, in case they can get a normal build-up towards the summer. Van Wilder wasn't bad, but rest assured he can do a lot better, and he will. Steels said of Van Wilder "What you're seeing now, is just his raw talent. He has had too many setbacks the past few years that have hindered his progress, so he still has a lot of development to go through." Unless they send him to the Giro instead, like they were planning on doing this year.

We know Masnada can do a lot better, and though he was pretty bad the past weeks, i really do get the impression that he gets along very well with Evenepoel and genuinely will try to help him, unlike he did with Almeida.

Then there is also Cattaneo, who could be a great asset in case they want to go for GC in the Tour. And then you have Hirt.

Assuming they all get in top shape, you have a rather decent team imho: Van Wilder, Masnada, Cattaneo, Hirt, Vervaeke & Serry for hilly/mountain stages.
With possibly Alaphilippe in case they can fit him in and obviously Declerq, Cavagna or Asgreen as well. There are also Honoré, Bagioli, Knox, Schmid & Vansevenant to pick from in case one of the others is sent to a different race or gets sick or injured. These aren't the guys that will help him up a MTF, but they are all capable of doing decent grunt work in hilly stages and the earlier sections in the mountain stages. Granted, they are lacking a Kuss or a Van Aert level dom, but then again that's also true for UAE.

Last edited:
You seem to be under the impression that only Remco can do it.
I don't think so, however, it seems he is fully back on track from the accident. Winning Liege as he did suggested so, winning the Vuelta is confirmation. And he will continue to improve. Still if Pogacar and Vingo are in top shape, as is to be expected, then it should really be an incredible war between them. As always it's going to boil down to sustained watts and require very big power indeed to ride those guys off the wheel. However, at the moment if there is any cyclist who can potentially get the job done, and I say potentially as it's not for sure, it's Remco Evenepoel.Yet Pogacar's emphatic win in Montreal reminds us that he truly is a cycling phenomenon and so it won't be easy to beat him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie
Let's not panic just yet. If he goes to the Tour, the team will be a lot better than it was now.

First of all one of the key helpers this Vuelta, Serry, got covid. Because of that, other guys had to start working a lot sooner. Serry can do in a hilly stage what Declerq can do on flat/cobbled stages. Ride a very high pace for a long time. If you look at yesterday's stage, you could see Van Wilder pulling the peloton with 150k to go. Well, not surprising he comes up short in the final. This team had Devenyns, whom i like, but he isn't the guy to do that kind of work. He can pull a few km in a hilly final, to lead out Alaphilippe, but he isn't the donkey that will drag you up a mountain or pull for 80k on the flat. Then Alaphilippe dropped out as well, leaving Evenepoel with basically only 3 fit doms. Cavagna, Vervaeke and Van Wilder.

Masnada tried his best, but the guy had an even worse year than Van Wilder and, well, he was borderline useless. Not out of ill will, just not in good enough shape. He went in the break a few times and did try to help Evenepoel dropping back, but i think it must have mainly been mental support more than anything else.

That said, i think both Masnada and Van Wilder will be a lot better next year, in case they can get a normal build-up towards the summer. Van Wilder wasn't bad, but rest assured he can do a lot better, and he will. Steels said of Van Wilder "What you're seeing now, is just his raw talent. He has had too many setbacks the past few years that have hindered his progress, so he still has a lot of development to go through." Unless they send him to the Giro instead, like they were planning on doing this year.

We know Masnada can do a lot better, and though he was pretty bad the past weeks, i really do get the impression that he gets along very well with Evenepoel and genuinely will try to help him, unlike he did with Almeida.

Then there is also Cattaneo, who could be a great asset in case they want to go for GC in the Tour. And then you have Hirt.

Assuming they all get in top shape, you have a rather decent team imho: Van Wilder, Masnada, Cattaneo, Hirt, Vervaeke & Serry for hilly/mountain stages.
With possibly Alaphilippe in case they can fit him in and obviously Declerq, Cavagna or Asgreen as well. There are also Honoré, Bagioli, Knox, Schmid & Vansevenant to pick from in case one of the others is sent to a different race or gets sick or injured. These aren't the guys that will help him up a MTF, but they are all capable of doing decent grunt work in hilly stages and the earlier sections in the mountain stages. Granted, they are lacking a Kuss or a Van Aert level dom, but then again that's also true for UAE.

Not panicking.

just willing to wait a year.

your list is all good. However, not a single one of those riders can I see helping Remco back up to Pog and Vingo on the Galibier for instance. None of those compare to the top dons at UAE or Jumbo. They will not be there near the end as Loulou was nowhere when Remco needed him in the last stage at Itzulia.

Remco would benefit greatly from having a few Almeidas. A rider who can diesel at a very high level for a long time, but just under Remco’s superstar diesel. Unfortunately, the only Almeida I know already flew the coop.

Not panicking.

just willing to wait a year.

your list is all good. However, not a single one of those riders can I see helping Remco back up to Pog and Vingo on the Galibier for instance. None of those compare to the top dons at UAE or Jumbo. They will not be there near the end as Loulou was nowhere when Remco needed him in the last stage at Itzulia.

Remco would benefit greatly from having a few Almeidas. A rider who can diesel at a very high level for a long time, but just under Remco’s superstar diesel. Unfortunately, the only Almeida I know already flew the coop.
Which UAE doms are you thinking of? Almeida? Maybe next year is a bit too soon but Van Wilder very much fits that profile. Other than Almeida -if you want to consider him a dom- i'm not seeing any guys that are going to be making a difference when the big boys are playing.

In fairness Pantani was not in top form, but point taken. Pog is so explosive, but he can also sustain a high tempo as well, as for example when he crushed everyone in the Alpes last year. However, Ventoux last year also showed he can be ridden off the wheel too. I think Remco will need to be able to set so hard a pace that attacks are not possible. He did that at the Vuelta a couple of times, but Pog and Vingo are going to be harder nuts to crack than Mas.
Your reference points on Pogacar's slow days are all GT performances where he could be fatigued or just riding within himself. He won those Tours, too.
Prepping for a single day effort is not where he's shown any weakness for two years. He'll be marked and hard to beat.

Reactions: jmdirt
But can he do it over 3 weeks against the A Teams from Jumbo, UAE, & Ineos? That is thy question.
I'm not sure if this is a sarcastic comment, riding on the can he do it .... meme, but I'm going to reply regardless. You see, UAE is far from the benchmark. Despite their essentially unlimited funds UAE is and has for a very long time been terribly constructed. Matxin thinks throwing large sums of money at obvious talents equals good team, but other than super generational talent Pogacar (and Juanito) none of them have developed in any way, shape or form besides natural progression. The doms he does sign are, other than not good enough, very one dimensional. They are either B-tier climbers or B-tier time trialists, never a combination of the too. Exactly the type of rider that made Sky the pinnacle for a decade and what makes Jumbo the top dog currently. What did Matxin, the bald fraud, do this year? He went after Quintana with Kung and Van Baarle on the market, LOL.

In case they can fit him in? Alaphilippe should be the first man on the team sheet!

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Your reference points on Pogacar's slow days are all GT performances where he could be fatigued or just riding within himself. He won those Tours, too.
Prepping for a single day effort is not where he's shown any weakness for two years. He'll be marked and hard to beat.
In fact, because my post was in response to speculation over Remco's ability to diesel his way back on terms to Pog accelleration and not giving Tadaj breathimg space to attack again. I pointed out that Pog has also shown staying power (but also weaker moments,like the second time on Ventoux last year), so it's up in the air whether or not will be able to take the punch out of him. Whatever the case, if both are in top for it should be one helluva battle. As far as one-day raced are comcerned, the Remco at Liege or San Sebastian vs a firing on all cilanders Pog, well, that's going to be a good fight too.

Dieseling up the mountain with super-strong and explosive guys like Pog and Vinge on the wheel is a recipe for disaster - Remco will use up way more energy due to aero drag (which on 7-8% cols of the Tour is substantial) resulting in being dropped at some point by fresher and more explosive rivals. If anything he needs a super-strong dom to do the dirty job.

Many other cyclists have done it. Indurain and Ullrich for starters. In fact, diesel climbing used to be how GTs were won, until organizers developed their wall fetish and only care about the steepest climbs available
Still, Indurain and Ullrich didn't win GTs by beating everyone else in the mountains. Especially Big Mig won by crushing everyone in the ITTs and mainly keeping up in the mountains. The level Pog and Vingegaard have showed in the mountains the last couple of years is really high in terms of modern cycling. If Remco in the future, don't only win the ITTs and keep up with these two in the mountains, but also drop them in several of the biggest mountain stages, I would almost be worried and take this discussion to an another part of this forum.

Btw, there aren't that many walls in cycling outside the Vuelta. And I would prefer stages with climbs like Finestre, Mortirolo or similar to the more classic Alps climbs. I would also almost call it a fetish the eagnerness someone has for massive amounts of ITT in GTs. It's almost like someone is this forum don't rate a rider like Bernal a "worthy" GT-winner if he should win a Giro packed with mountains but only with 30-40 km ITT.

Dieseling up the mountain with super-strong and explosive guys like Pog and Vinge on the wheel is a recipe for disaster - Remco will use up way more energy due to aero drag (which on 7-8% cols of the Tour is substantial) resulting in being dropped at some point by fresher and more explosive rivals. If anything he needs a super-strong dom to do the dirty job.
Well, I meant like what he was able to do at the Vuelta, when only Mas could follow, or nobody could. Otherwise he needs to control and not react brutally to big surges and the deisel back up when the pace drops a bit, to then try and finish it off if he's got the legs

Still, Indurain and Ullrich didn't win GTs by beating everyone else in the mountains.
Stage 9 Ullrich, Virenque, and Pantani st.
Stage 10 Virenque and Pantani +1:08 to Ullrich
Stage 13 Pantani -0:47 and Virenque +0:40 to Ullrich
Stage 14 Virenque st. and Pantani +3:06 to Ullrich
Stage 15 Pantani -1:17 and Virenque st. to Ullrich

Ullrich put 1:48 into Virenque and 2:10 into Pantani in the mountains.

I can imagine him not wanting to be working for another guy's GC everyday. Wanting more freedom and support than what is wise. In the Vuelta his form was below par so he had nothing better to do. Hence my comment.
Alaphilippe is french and a big star, probably has the highest wage on the team and has done great things in TdF. Remco will be lining up as a very dangerous outsider, so if youre not bringing Alaf in a free role youre straight up trolling. Dont get ahead of yourself now

Reactions: Eeslliw

TRENDING THREADS