• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 468 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Today's cycling means u have to simultaneously time a peak form and an optimum minimum weight at once. This is difficult to do once let alone twice. Just look at Hindley and a lot of the other Giro participants. This can be attempted 5 years down the line once the behavior of his body is analyzed over the course of 5 GTs. Attempting such a thing immediately may lead to the next season getting affected or premature end to his career.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Remco in front of VTM cameras, insinuating TDF isn't out of the question, but it would depend on the parcours (TT kilometers).

Evenepoel could potentially be wasting his best year - or his best year relative to the opposition - on the Giro, like Dumo. I don't think he needs a lot of TT mileage to compete for a Tour win, considering the level he showed at the Vuelta.

Just not too many stages stages that are tailor-made for Vingegaard, maybe.

Last edited:
A duel between Vegni and Gouvenou as to who can fit in the most time trial kilometers in a race, I'd like to see that. I'm hoping Remco goes to Il Giro, but if I'd be Gouvenou, I'm throwing > 100 kilometers of ITT in there. Doesn't just attract Remco, but could give you a chance at GC rider Wout.

Wout has no chance even with 200km of ITT

He'll still lose 15 minutes on any real mountain stage. He's not being allowed into the break every day if there is 200km of ITT

Reactions: Didinho
Evenepoel could potentially be wasting his best year - or his best year relative to the opposition - on the Giro, like Dumo. I don't think he needs a lot of TT mileage to compete for a Tour win, considering the level he showed at the Vuelta.

Just not too many stages stages that are tailor-made for Vingegaard, maybe.
This Vuelta showed me that he's ready for the Tour, no matter the parcours.

Today's cycling means u have to simultaneously time a peak form and an optimum minimum weight at once. This is difficult to do once let alone twice. Just look at Hindley and a lot of the other Giro participants. This can be attempted 5 years down the line once the behavior of his body is analyzed over the course of 5 GTs. Attempting such a thing immediately may lead to the next season getting affected or premature end to his career.
That is tough knowledge to gain and usually take the experience you've noted. The present day pressure for results messes with that opportunity for many riders. Teams can be quick to reload with replacement riders if you don't achieve the team goals first.
Remco's been in that treasured protected zone since he became a ranked amateur so he should make the best of his career. Coming back from his injury and now winning the Vuelta surely taught him a decade's worth of personal fitness wisdom.

Congrats on his maiden GT victory - the youngest Vuelta winner since 1961. A GT win + a monument win = great season, the best so far in 2022. The SuperGen (1996-2000) stronger than ever.
So Remco finally proved himself over 3 weeks, right? The Tour next year looks like a natural step for him, facing the two mutants. A lot can depend on GT parcours in QS schedulling process, methinks.

Reactions: Lui98 and Wvv
To start an entire new discussion. In the past I always thought he was not punchy enough to win races like MSR or Fleche W.
Seeing him outsprint guys like Mas and more importantly Roglic, I might have to reconsider.

More specific, the strive for 5, I always thought MSR would be the hardest as RVV is a possibility for him and perhaps Roubaix if he matures some more as a rider. Is it possible for him to win Fleche Walloon 1 and 2 is the strive for 5 a possibility?

To start an entire new discussion. In the past I always thought he was not punchy enough to win races like MSR or Fleche W.
Seeing him outsprint guys like Mas and more importantly Roglic, I might have to reconsider.

More specific, the strive for 5, I always thought MSR would be the hardest as RVV is a possibility for him and perhaps Roubaix if he matures some more as a rider. Is it possible for him to win Fleche Walloon 1 and 2 is the strive for 5 a possibility?

Don't see a problem wiht Fleche, just not in a sprint.

PR.. i don't even see him ride that one. Way to much at stake here.
RVV i see him ride it, just because he is a belgian. Winning it... something majorly should shift if that would be a possbility

The other classics he can all win them, whether he does that is also another matter ;)

MSR means a rocket launch on the Poggio and a dive down the descent. He will be able to do the former, but the latter needs to be seen.

Flanders he's got the power, but needs explosivity. Roubaix we need to see how he handles the pavé.

Amstel is doable, but nervous. Fleche he needs irresistable wattage on Mur d'Huy. Liege done.

Lombardia he can win by distacco.

Reactions: Big Doopie