• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
red_flanders said:
del1962 said:
You missed out the bit of Knox's quote where he says "and he makes me look like a good bike handler" :lol:

Seriously I worry about him in the fight for position in a race like San Sebastian

What are the concerns with his bike handling, or rather, where can one see examples of the issue? I've seen rather little of his riding, just what's available on YouTube, and it hasn't struck me as an issue. I might worry about Campanaerts trying to follow his wheel, but...

Anyway a couple folks have made the comment, just curious about the details. Thanks.
First of all, he was just trying to be funny, Knox never made that comment as far as i know.

As for examples, look back a few pages. I made a post about it with 2 video examples.
viewtopic.php?p=2366170#p2366170

Ah, I’d missed that whole part of the discussion. Yeah he’s way too aggressive with position and I agree it appears less a handling issue than a total lack of fear or consideration for the bunch at this point. It’s why I asked, when he’s out solo he doesn’t seem to have handling issues, for example his descending was much smoother than Masnada, etc. I understood the bit attributed to Knox was a joke.

Good links, thx.

Re:

red_flanders said:
I'm excited to see Remco race at San Sebastian, though Alaphillippe is the leader. Don't see a tactical path to him doing anything, but hoping against hope he puts the wood to some folks at some point in the race.

The tactical path is surely to ride aggressively in the breakaway to make it a hard race for his leader and take the pressure off DQS to have to ride on the front trying to control the race. Further bonus to this is he would then avoid the hazardous fight for position in the peloton on the narrow roads. After all a big crash in last years edition at around 20km to go took out two of the fancied riders Bernal and Roglic.

Re:

Evenepoel just beat Bernal in the... Criterium of Aalst :lol:

https://twitter.com/KristofMeul/status/1155925680539852800

He seems not to have been informed about the how the plot of a post-Tour criterium should unfold.
There was a three man sprint some seconds ahead of the peloton as usual in fixed criteriums and he won in front of a pretty fast rider like Bernal, it's very likely that he was the chosen one.

Re:

Lefevre said they might wait until 2023 (!) for Remco to ride his first Tour de France.

Wvv said:
It was a joke. Obviously. :rolleyes:

I know, but it's only a matter of time before somebody turns it into a fanboy war.
Meeeeeeh

This 'professionalism' is boring.

Will be interesting to see him in the Vuelta though. Imagine if he's like 5th or something before the last week and Lefevre is like, yeah, I cant pull the plug here.

Nobody, including Lefevre, knows how he'll progress so this 2023 thing is empty talk. If he's ready in 2021 or 2022, they're not going to keep him out of the Tour because they said so in 2019.

I'm very curious about San Sebastián, though a top result would be a miracle especially against the many guys coming off the Tour.

Re:

Flamin said:
Nobody, including Lefevre, knows how he'll progress so this 2023 thing is empty talk. If he's ready in 2021 or 2022, they're not going to keep him out of the Tour because they said so in 2019.

I'm very curious about San Sebastián, though a top result would be a miracle especially against the many guys coming off the Tour.
Pretty much. It's very obvious he's ahead of the curve.

I guess it would make sense to put him in races like PN or TA next year and see how he goes.

I can't see him driving the peloton. He's just way too good already, unless he's not feeling well and presents himself to do the dirty work. He's the type a guy I think who'd do that without hesitation.

Maybe attack before the final climb and stir things up.

Because he wants to learn how to climb... which is harder to learn in the low lands.

And he's not really moving to Monaco yet, because according to his dad, he's not making enough money for that (yet). He's just using the empty apartment of some tax evader.