• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 925 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I'm not offended. I also haven't seen any JA support from Levere after the other comments but I'm not versed in Belgish and must rely on translations.
I was amazed at the level of corrupt old as*holes ran upper level teams and their callous treatment of riders. Friends that were good enough to be courted by 90's and early 00's major teams were simply extorted by the DS. Pay us a major portion of your first year contract, in cash and you can ride the big show races. Apparently that was a traditional shakedown for major Euro amateurs to make the next step up, too. Otherwise your future was of a domestique outlook...last post-race shower and massage and schlepping your own bags in big races. Teams could dump you in a heartbeat and leave you without airfare wherever you ended up. I'd thought that changed to a greater degree but it seems some of that same treatment persists. Color me naive to think that's not a good business model, particularly for riders.
It's when casual fans say a rider "is done" and believe the clickbait that is more annoying. It's a tough sport to even qualify to race and get paid.

By the way; would you be irritated if your employer told everyone in your business world you were a washed up loser? You didn't answer that.
The cycling environment in Europe is as cut-throat as it gets, unless you are a big talent. I knew guys back in the period you mentioned who weren't better than me, but got an entrance level contract because their fathers paid the salary to the team so their sons could ride. It might not be a good business model, but the sport developed in the lurid, smoke-filled atmosphere of urban caffès and those of the remote provinces of agro-industrial zones, where the deals were made and contracts signed over cognac and grappa "corrected" espresso. What some people don't realize is how ignorant and unrefined a certain traditional cycling community is and it still persists to a degree, despite the new glamour of high budget teams. PL is of this ilk, however, his quick wit and sharp tongue, combined with an unusual gift for communication, means that while much of what he says is objectively repugnant, there nonetheless is a Monty Pythonesque satirical quality to his banter that (now don't murder me for saying so) I actually think the current generation could benefit from in terms of developing a thick skin, to not, as I wrote, simply relish at the opportunity to be offended.

To answer your question, it depends. Any pro athlete lives a privileged, at times glorified life, who often is held a god to his fans. And he is paid a salary that will allow him to live comfortably for the rest of his life after a young retirement. All because he is exceptional at sport and entertains those who are not, but would love to be. He lives off the revenues generated by the sponsors, who, in turn, profit because people buy their products. So a rider is only worth his salary if he delivers. Hence, the pros inevitably need to take things in stride, not take themselves too seriously (an unsupportable vanity that's an offense to the multitudes just trying to make ends meet) and above all know that with great privilege comes, at times, great criticism, even public, yes (which I'm ok with if done a certain way). Now I've already posted how deplorable Don Patrick's public remarks were regarding JA over this. At the same time, if I were in Alaphillipe's shoes, knowing PL, AND that he actually likes me, I'd respond with something ironic and get on with it to make him eat his words. By contrast, if Don Patrick's ridiculousness was done in spite, because I knew he didn't like me, I'd tell him to f-off and do as much to sabotage things until my contract was up.

Last edited:
Julian didn't send me a text saying all is good. I'm glad you're on the inside, personally.
If he isn't angry, he should be. My employer airing his version of personal issues in the media is completely unprofessional and denigrates the employee's value. Most serious athletic leagues would have a player representative demanding financial damages.
It demonstrates how much like a mob franchise owning a cycling team can be.
If "personal issues" (going to parties, receptions too often and drinking too much under pressure from Rousse) are influencing in a bad way the condition and the results of Ala, then Lefevere must act. If nothing changes after several warnings, then as a chef you have to go through it firmly. I would do the same, as most chefs would do.

Two possibilities.
Ala and his partner stubbornly continued to do their thing. Ala is no longer successful or even refuses to race. Like Bennet did. Then Ala's career is over anyway. Also with a French team from 2025. Cfr Sagan and Sam Bennett.

Or Ala will turn the switch. Marion Rousse realizes that she has made a mistake. Then he can still have a few good months at Soudal-Quickstep. Even win again. To continue cycling up to 2025 at a good level for a few more years after his switch to Totalenergies.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
If "personal issues" (going to parties, receptions too often and drinking too much under pressure from Rousse) are influencing in a bad way the condition and the results of Ala, then Lefevere must act. If nothing changes after several warnings, then as a chef you have to go through it firmly. I would do the same, as most chefs would do.

Two possibilities.
Ala and his partner stubbornly continued to do their thing. Ala is no longer successful or even refuses to race. Like Bennet did. Then Ala's career is over anyway. Also with a French team from 2025. Cfr Sagan and Sam Bennett.

Or Ala will turn the switch. Marion Rousse realizes that she has made a mistake. Then he can still have a few good months at Soudal-Quickstep. Even win again. To continue cycling up to 2025 at a good level for a few more years after his switch to Totalenergies.

But since personal issues aren't influencing Alaphilippes performance, maybe Lefevere should just go to rehab to get his alcohol problem under control instead of giving interviews. It's not like he actually does anything anymore in the team.

But since personal issues aren't influencing Alaphilippes performance, maybe Lefevere should just go to rehab to get his alcohol problem under control instead of giving interviews. It's not like he actually does anything anymore in the team.
No doubt personal issues (for which he himself and his partner are responsible) have been influencing him a lot the last years.

Today another crash. I think the third in one week. Coincidence or not ?

No, but too many crashes are often the result of an insufficient condition and a lack of confidence....... in this case as a result of years of not behaving and not living like a top athlete.
Total bullsh*t. Either rider under discussion have had serious crashes due to lack of skill at a critical moment (Remco) and a chronically excitable and erratic bike handling style (Julian). I doubt either lacked confidence right up to the point of impact.

Total bullsh*t. Either rider under discussion have had serious crashes due to lack of skill at a critical moment (Remco) and a chronically excitable and erratic bike handling style (Julian). I doubt either lacked confidence right up to the point of impact.
Ala has crashed much more in recent years than in previous years. Which completely corresponds to the period in which he lives less for his sport. You could say that his two (deserved) world titles camouflage this somewhat (but already three years ago). But it is absolutely abnormal that top riders such as Ala and Sagan suddenly no longer perform from the age of 28/29. While these should be their strongest years. Both riders are known to have started partying. Sagan was spotted in a drunken state a number of times. At Alaphilippe it was not that bad, but enough that he could no longer perform at the highest level. Even if he seems to have recovered this winter, it is not so easy (even impossible) to get back to that previous level.

I think he can become a sub-topper again. By positioning himself better and cycling with more concentration, he will also crash less often.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Which completely corresponds to the period in which he lives less for his sport.
There is no such period.
At Alaphilippe it was not that bad, but enough that he could no longer perform at the highest level. Even if he seems to have recovered this winter, it is not so easy (even impossible) to get back to that previous level.
Interestingly enough that's not even what drunken Patrick said. After the first interview he then said he was talking about November 22. So no, not even according to Lefevere he recovered only this winter.

Anyway, enough about this, you're a misogynist, blaming Rousse first for Alaphilippe's lack of top results since his crash in Liège 22. You got it wrong, you insist on being wrong, so be it. Let's leave the Alaphilippe talk to the Alaphilippe thread, try to be wrong about Remco here! I'm confident you have a few pearls of wisdom about that too. Vuelta 23 due to his wife maybe?

I don't really know what to expect from Remco tomorrow and the rest of the week because I honestly didn't think he looked that good today.

We didn't see the team much but in the last k where they were launching him to the line he looked like he was suffering and Van Wilder nearly had to wait/brake to not overtake him on the line.

But maybe that's just because he probably did most of the work earlier in the TTT.

Ah yes, the time loss in the last third of the TTT was all the fault of Tim Declerq. Nice way to treat an old teammate.
I was really surprised to hear his comments (which he has since walked back) as Declerq was a demonstrative supporter of Remco during their time together, and a totally selfless rider. Can't see how Remco could have imagined he did anything negative on purpose. Just not him. Weird.