• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 929 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Looked good in the end after doing most of the work. Maybe not so bad this, so the others know they will lose time if they always just count on him to ride alone.
Tomorrow the stage is quite straight forward, it's going to go uphill, he doesn't need to count on anyone else. Just let SOQ blow things up and then ride his own pace until people drop.

Tomorrow the stage is quite straight forward, it's going to go uphill, he doesn't need to count on anyone else. Just let SOQ blow things up and then ride his own pace until people drop.
I didn’t ment only for tomorrow but also in the next stage races. Now they thought he would close it himself but in these races he’s not far ahead others as in 1 day races. Maybe now they will cooperate more. Just sit at the back and let the others lose, like what happened today.

Reactions: Berniece
Remco could have used a good Van Wilder today but it's not the first time Van Wilder suffers in the cold weather conditions.

It's good that he realises that he made a tactical mistake but it's going to be a very hard task now to win the GC. I think McNulty and Plapp might falter this weekend but I don't see him dropping Skjelmose or Jorgenson easily, especcially since he hasn't looked to be a level above the rest the whole week.

I hope he can still salvage (at least) a podium and maybe a stage win this weekend.

Reactions: Andre
I think he was too worried about a possible Roglic counter, who looks very human currently.
I do agree 100%. I think Remco thought Roglic was stronger which ultimately proved not to be the case. Roglic often rides defensively, but this time it was really because he's just not strong enough.

Honestly, I believe Remco is not at his top level neither. Good, but not top.

Some days ago the Forum was at the verge of imploding due to a sh!tstorm between Remco and Roglic fandoms and now they will probably not even make the podium. Cycling is beautiful.

Signed: A Roglic fan.
What an attitude. You can learn a bit from Roglic, he wouldn't give up that easily. Neither will Evenepoel btw. He'll definitely finish on the podium, and maybe even win it.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
Honestly, i don't want to see him at the front pulling the GC group anymore, he needs to learn to race with his head. He is 5th now, let the ones in front close the gap if there is any significant attack and then counter.
The one i would keep an eye on is Skjelmose, if they can get a gap, they can put some serious time in the other contender and he is close enough that you can try to overtake him with late attack/bonus. Also Buitrago, he may be an ally now that he is out of GC and probaly will go for another stage win, and he was arguably the strongest uphill so far.

Reactions: Blanco