• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
we can only guess at his high mountain ability at this point, but all evidence suggest he should be able to do it based on:
-He doesn't weight a lot, -9kg compared to people like Dumoulin, who are able to climb
-He has an awesome wattage output over anything 20 to 60 minutes, proven in both TT's and long solo's.
-Combine that gives an awesome w/kg output, which normally should mean he will climb well.

The only question mark is his recovery day after day. But I'd really be surprised if he can't handle a single mountain given his physical traits. Low weight and great tt capabilities / w/kg output should prove useful on long steep climbs as well...

Race tactics, bike handling and the required mental strength for energy conservation and paying attention over 3 weeks are also somewhat question marks. I mean, he could be so strong, that unnecessarily exhausting himself and other errors of tactics or in-race nutrition etc don't matter, but if things are close, it could break his race.

I think having completed a GT even just once gives a significant edge comparatively.

we can only guess at his high mountain ability at this point, but all evidence suggest he should be able to do it based on:
-He doesn't weight a lot, -9kg compared to people like Dumoulin, who are able to climb
-He has an awesome wattage output over anything 20 to 60 minutes, proven in both TT's and long solo's.
-Combine that gives an awesome w/kg output, which normally should mean he will climb well.

The only question mark is his recovery day after day. But I'd really be surprised if he can't handle a single mountain given his physical traits. Low weight and great tt capabilities / w/kg output should prove useful on long steep climbs as well...
As others suggested, this week also gave us an idea regarding recuperation. He had to go deep the day before the ITT, and still smashed it after 5 days.

Race tactics, bike handling and the required mental strength for energy conservation and paying attention over 3 weeks are also somewhat question marks. I mean, he could be so strong, that unnecessarily exhausting himself and other errors of tactics or in-race nutrition etc don't matter, but if things are close, it could break his race.

I think having completed a GT even just once gives a significant edge comparatively.
Yes, i've mentioned this in the past. He is missing a lot of racing experience that guys his age normally do have. He's only been racing for 3 years, and of those, he barely rode in the peloton. Positioning, energy management, tactics...

Last year he did a lot worse on all big climbs he did than on hills and in ITTs. He's obviously a great ITTer, every results suggests he's more benefitted by shallower gradients.
Which climbs are you referring to?

Let's say he wins Tirreno in a few weeks

I'd then strongly consider even sending Alap for extra help for him in the giro then as that be an even greater sign that he can at least podium. Tirenno should be less favorable than was Algarve as the mountains are harder and the TT is shorter

I'd then strongly consider even sending Alap for extra help for him in the giro then as that be an even greater sign that he can at least podium. Tirenno should be less favorable than was Algarve as the mountains are harder and the TT is shorter
That will never happen. Ala has a very busy spring schedule and there is no way on earth they are not bringing him to the TdF. You can't race everything.

That will never happen. Ala has a very busy spring schedule and there is no way on earth they are not bringing him to the TdF. You can't race everything.

It would also put unneccessary pressure on Evenepoel. If he fails on his own (more or less), it's all good, he'll learn. But you can't make him take responsibility for ruining Alaphilippe's season too if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: hayneplane

If drafting in extra climbing support becomes a season’s priority for DQS then asking Bob Jungels to go Giro rather than Tour makes more sense in terms of the rider characteristics compared to Alaphilippe though Alaphilippe is clearly the better rider on recent evidence.

Almeida would bolster the climbing support if selected and his schedule is very much unknown according to PCS.

I understand why they don't want to drop a team of youngsters in the Giro, but there seems to be some chemistry with Almeida. Who by the way really impressed me. With Knox and Almeida they could help each other out, no pressure. But then you have a lot of young guys, also with Jakobsen in the team.

I think that poster is just upset that Remco is getting all the deserved accolades instead of MVDP. Remco is a class act.
Please don't start with this.

Almeida is also just a neopro. DQS likely don't want to drop him in a GT so soon. Bernal, Pogacar and possibly Remco were/are ready to ride a GT at such a young age, but that shouldn't be the standard. Let Almeida ripe first and in the future he might be a great asset for Remco to have.

Reactions: yaco
QST would have to change their lineup though. As already mentioned by some, the selection is already made within the team:

Evenepoel
Knoxx
Cattaneo
Jakobsen
Senechal
Ballerini
Keisse
Honoré

Even if he blows everyone away in Tirreno, I would be surprised if they tweak that. Keisse is of great mental support (his usual roommate, he calls him his “cyclist dad”). To him that’s more important than anything. If needed Knox and Cattaneo can support him in the mountains. Ballerini and Honore (I feel like he could actually last longer uphill than most expect him to today) can help in the early slopes.
Jakobsen was also promised to count on Ballerini and Senechal as his lead-outs and the team has tailor made a racing schedule to work on that leadout train.

Almeida is also just a neopro. DQS likely don't want to drop him in a GT so soon. Bernal, Pogacar and possibly Remco were/are ready to ride a GT at such a young age, but that shouldn't be the standard. Let Almeida ripe first and in the future he might be a great asset for Remco to have.
Yes, that's basically what i said, that they can't take an entire team of guys that age. But it would be a bit disingenuous to send Remco but say that Almeida, who is almost two years older and turns 22 two months after the Giro, is too young. He already rode Tour of Utah, Tour of California, Tour Colombia... last year. And two years ago he rode Girobio (2nd) and Avenir (7th) He isn't exactly a regular neo-pro. If he isn't ready for a GT, neither is Remco.

QST would have to change their lineup though. As already mentioned by some, the selection is already made within the team:

Evenepoel
Knoxx
Cattaneo
Jakobsen
Senechal
Ballerini
Keisse
Honoré

Even if he blows everyone away in Tirreno, I would be surprised if they tweak that. Keisse is of great mental support (his usual roommate, he calls him his “cyclist dad”). To him that’s more important than anything. If needed Knox and Cattaneo can support him in the mountains. Ballerini and Honore (I feel like he could actually last longer uphill than most expect him to today) can help in the early slopes.
Jakobsen was also promised to count on Ballerini and Senechal as his lead-outs and the team has tailor made a racing schedule to work on that leadout train.

"Keisse is of great mental support (his usual roommate, he calls him his “cyclist dad”). "
I think we've had reason to question whether Keisse always has his wits about him . . .

I think that poster is just upset that Remco is getting all the deserved accolades instead of MVDP. Remco is a class act.
I suppose you refer to my post earlier. MVDP has nothing to do with it. No reason to bring him in to make a point. Remco deserves all the accolades without a doubt. His performance says it all. It was not even my argument. I am going to leave it at that, since the rest is all subjective.

"But does he have Hinault's carisma, arrogance and panache? "

Yes he does and much more so than 99% of the peloton. Just watch him :)

Talking about 'panache', this is actually one of his traits that is not covered in the discussion about his capabilities to shine at the Giro but that actually could be crucial. Let's just say that he tried but can't compete with the top climbers yet and actually trails minutes behind the leader after two weeks with not enough TT kilometers left to have a shot at the podium. On the other hand, let's say that he has superior ability to recover and has still a tank of energy left, even at his young age, which I really believe he does. What if he decides to go 'all in' in a difficult stage about 50-60 km or more from the finish and basically decides to add another TT to the game? Who will catch him? Who will sacrifice his remaining teammates to get him, knowing that the final still needs to begin? He is definitely capable of going all the way, physically and mentally. He knows it. It has been his second nature since he started cycling. I am sure this will be in the back of his mind when he faces a though situation when everybody actually believes he is 'done'. And to be honest, that kind of heroism is actually what I hope to see and I am sure that I am not the only one!

Reactions: Big Doopie

TRENDING THREADS