• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 156 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I'm glad his training is going well, but I didn't feel too optimistic at some of things they said i.e. "he's a long way from his best form", "don't expect miracles" and "maybe he can have a decent Giro and help out"... not exactly in those words.
On another subject, I hope Paris-Roubaix can be raced cause I heard Paris is going into lockdown for a month.

I'm glad his training is going well, but I didn't feel too optimistic at some of things they said i.e. "he's a long way from his best form", "don't expect miracles" and "maybe he can have a decent Giro and help out"... not exactly in those words.
On another subject, I hope Paris-Roubaix can be raced cause I heard Paris is going into lockdown for a month.
He's been training for a month since his relapse... What were you expecting?

Sounds like they're just keeping expectations low. To be fair boasting when you might be at 80-85 of your normal form doesn't make any sense. Everyone will know his form when he races in May.

The toughest mountains are in the third week but stage 4 is the first test to see what kind of form he is in. Stage 4 is fairly hilly and there should be some separation.

One would think he should get stronger in the later stages; however, the last week is grueling.

If I'm a top contender I'd push the pace earlier to drop Evenepoel early in the Tour so he's not a threat in the GC. The longer he hangs around the more of a danger he becomes.

Sounds like they're just keeping expectations low. To be fair boasting when you might be at 80-85 of your normal form doesn't make any sense. Everyone will know his form when he races in May.

The toughest mountains are in the third week but stage 4 is the first test to see what kind of form he is in. Stage 4 is fairly hilly and there should be some separation.

One would think he should get stronger in the later stages; however, the last week is grueling.

If I'm a top contender I'd push the pace earlier to drop Evenepoel early in the Tour so he's not a threat in the GC. The longer he hangs around the more of a danger he becomes.
If he's in any type of shape that would put him in the position to do damage in the third week, then there is no possible scenario his shape in the first week will be so bad that they will drop him in the first week. If they are able to drop him in the first week, he'd never have been able to drop them in the third week. If he'd be able to drop them in the third week, there is no way he'd get dropped in the third week. Evenepoel's physiology and build is such that it is extremely difficult to drop him.

They could try to catch him off-guard in echelons etc, but that'd be an other issue than his form.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie - I can't wait to see Evenepoel's GT debiut. Last year unfortunately he missed his chance at the Giro and obviously it's not the situation he would wish at the start of the season but I don't think any GT debiut has ever been so anticipated in the cycling world. Nobody knows if he will be able to fight for the GC (it can't be ruled out if he plays himself into form) but I think that even subpar Remco will make his presence noticable (i.e. going for a stage victory).

If he's in any type of shape that would put him in the position to do damage in the third week, then there is no possible scenario his shape in the first week will be so bad that they will drop him in the first week. If they are able to drop him in the first week, he'd never have been able to drop them in the third week. If he'd be able to drop them in the third week, there is no way he'd get dropped in the third week. Evenepoel's physiology and build is such that it is extremely difficult to drop him.

They could try to catch him off-guard in echelons etc, but that'd be an other issue than his form.

Can't agree with it. Form is not constant and considering the circumstances Evenepoel can be on a strong upward trajectory during these three weeks. And let's not go to the extremes (they drop him here so he can't drop them there): who said he has to drop them? Potentially they can attack him in the first week (i.e. gaining 2 minutes) but later he may be strong enough to keep with them in the mountains (and gain some time in the last TT). Without this time loss early on the race outcome could be different, right?

Last edited:
Not gonna lie - I can't wait to see Evenepoel's GT debiut. Last year unfortunately he missed his chance at the Giro and obviously it's not the situation he would wish at the start of the season but I don't think any GT debiut has ever been so anticipated in the cycling world. Nobody knows if he will be able to fight for the GC (it can't be ruled out if he plays himself into form) but I think that even subpar Remco will make his presence noticable (i.e. going for a stage victory).

Can't agree with it. Form is not constant and considering the circumstances Evenepoel can be on a strong upward trajectory during these three weeks. And let's not go to the extremes (they drop him here so he can't drop them there): who said he has to drop them? Potentially they can attack him in the first week (i.e. gaining 2 minutes) but later he may be strong enough to keep with them in the mountains (and gain some time in the last TT). Without this time loss early on the race outcome could be different, right?
I'm not saying form is constant. I just don't believe his form can be bad enough that they could drop him in the easiest week, yet grow strong enough to at the very least follow them in the much harder 3rd week. I think that's highly unlikely given the circumstances (first race in nearly a year, only 3 month prep), even for Evenepoel.

Wouldn't be too surprised if he does not hit his best form until spring 2022 though.
Wout Van Aert also needed until summer 2020 to fully recover from his injury.
Hard to say or to compare, different injuries as well. Van Aert crashed july 2019, Remco in August 2020. Spring 2022 would be closer to two years than to one year. I think it should be possible to get very close to 100% by the Olympics/Vuelta. But it's possible his relapse pushed him further back. That might prove to be a monumental screw up.

Reactions: Sandisfan

We’ve seen riders like Pantani come into a GT, get dropped in the first week, then round into stage winning form by the last week. Doesn’t seem unreasonable given his thin prep that Evenepoel will have, that something similar could happen.

Reactions: Sandisfan
We're talking about the biggest freak perhaps in the sport's history. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes on to destroy everyone in the Giro despite hos buildup to the race.

I can't wait tbh. Just my opinion, but I reckon there's no chance he gets anywhere near the best guys in the Giro. But we'll see. Talking about Evenepoel in relation to "biggest talent in the sport's history" certainly sets the expectations bar though, i.e. it's dominate or bust.

There will be some head scratching either way (i.e. whether he dominates, or falls totally sort of the hype).

We’ve seen riders like Pantani come into a GT, get dropped in the first week, then round into stage winning form by the last week. Doesn’t seem unreasonable given his thin prep that Evenepoel will have, that something similar could happen.
I don't remember the exact context, but did Pantani recover from a serious injury as well and i can imagine he didn't come in with 0 racedays. Honestly, i think either he comes in with a decent shape, good enough to do damage in week 3, that he won't get dropped in week 1 except if due to echelons or tactical errors, or he won't come close no matter what. Don't forget that he's small and aero, and he basically has to do no work at all when riding in the peloton. They are not going to hurt him that way in the scenario where he'll be good in the 3rd week.

In Tenerife, DQ boys riding with Van Vleuten

EwsnB4kVgAEjoPL

EwsnCKFUUAIcpZE

I don't remember the exact context, but did Pantani recover from a serious injury as well and i can imagine he didn't come in with 0 racedays. Honestly, i think either he comes in with a decent shape, good enough to do damage in week 3, that he won't get dropped in week 1 except if due to echelons or tactical errors, or he won't come close no matter what. Don't forget that he's small and aero, and he basically has to do no work at all when riding in the peloton. They are not going to hurt him that way in the scenario where he'll be good in the 3rd week.
He rode the Giro before the 200 Tour, mostly anonymously looking for form until the last couple of days where he started to be able to climb. Also a very small and aero guy.

Remco has never ridden a GT obviously, and I think the pace is going to be hard to deal with having zero race days in his legs. I could easily see him getting smoked in the first week and recover to Remco status later in the race and grabbing a stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
He rode the Giro before the 200 Tour, mostly anonymously looking for form until the last couple of days where he started to be able to climb. Also a very small and aero guy.

Remco has never ridden a GT obviously, and I think the pace is going to be hard to deal with having zero race days in his legs. I could easily see him getting smoked in the first week and recover to Remco status later in the race and grabbing a stage.
Hehe, nice of you to describe Pantani as "also a small and aero guy", but you and i both know how silly that comparison is. Remco on form is a worldclass TT'er thanks to how aerodynamic he is. Pantani, not so much. Even not in fom, it would be difficult to drop Evenepoel on anything but harder climbs or echelons. Anyway, you think it's possible to go from not being able to follow in the easy 1st week to dropping the others in the 3rd week, point taken. I'll agree to disagree.

Edit: Pantani finished 1 hour down in GC in 2000... what are we talking about here? The premise was they needed to drop Remco in the first week because he would be a threat for GC in the final week otherwise, and your argument is Pantani in 2000, who didn't even come close to riding anything resembling a threat for GC.

Hehe, nice of you to describe Pantani as "also a small and aero guy", but you and i both know how silly that comparison is. Remco on form is a worldclass TT'er thanks to how aerodynamic he is. Pantani, not so much. Even not in fom, it would be difficult to drop Evenepoel on anything but harder climbs or echelons. Anyway, you think it's possible to go from not being able to follow in the easy 1st week to dropping the others in the 3rd week, point taken. I'll agree to disagree.

Edit: Pantani finished 1 hour down in GC in 2000... what are we talking about here? The premise was they needed to drop Remco in the first week because he would be a threat for GC in the final week otherwise, and your argument is Pantani in 2000, who didn't even come close to riding anything resembling a threat for GC.
I’m not making an argument, relax. Pantani is just the first example that came to mind. I have no idea what’s going to happen, I just think it’s possible or even likely that a rider like RE comes into a GT with very little experience and undercooked on form, has trouble keeping up in the first week, loses a bit of time. The because he is who he is with that engine and competitive spirit, he rounds into enough form to win a stage or two by the end.

I also think it’s possible that he shows up looking ominously strong, hangs on in the first week, and competes for the win late. There’s just not enough data on this kid for me to have a strong opinion about it one way or another.

I like to have discussion, not arguments, at least most of the time. Every discussion here doesn’t need to be a pissing contest.

I’m not making an argument, relax. Pantani is just the first example that came to mind. I have no idea what’s going to happen, I just think it’s possible or even likely that a rider like RE comes into a GT with very little experience and undercooked on form, has trouble keeping up in the first week, loses a bit of time. The because he is who he is with that engine and competitive spirit, he rounds into enough form to win a stage or two by the end.

I also think it’s possible that he shows up looking ominously strong, hangs on in the first week, and competes for the win late. There’s just not enough data on this kid for me to have a strong opinion about it one way or another.

I like to have discussion, not arguments, at least most of the time. Every discussion here doesn’t need to be a pissing contest.
My point is simply, considering his rouleur/TT capabilities on flat/hilly terrain, i don't see them dropping him in week 1 if his form is anywhere close to good enough to improve into dominant efforts in week 3. I can see him improve, but this scenario seems a bit too much science fiction imho.

My point is simply, considering his rouleur/TT capabilities on flat/hilly terrain, i don't see them dropping him in week 1 if his form is anywhere close to good enough to improve into dominant efforts in week 3. I can see him improve, but this scenario seems a bit too much science fiction imho.
When is he racing again? Before that we know basically nothing and we're just largely rehashing the same biases we had before he crashed out of Lombardia last year.

TRENDING THREADS