• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
yeah I know he is Evenepoel and such, but winning with no racing and at his age seems unlikely.

Pogacar was third in his first Vuelta, but that was a totally different story.

But I am curious to see how he will do in the mountain stages. His numbers might be impressive now on training, but you cannot simulate a 3-week course. He has never done this kind of race. The pressure is high and will his recovery be good enough during the race?

Of course, but that's an open question regardless even with perfect preparation, no injury and no time off though.

But that question should finally (!) get an answer, either fully, or partially. Even if he's not yet able to compete for the maglia rosa, I think we should get a better picture of his regeneration/consistency in a 3 week race.

I would say best case scenario: Domination from stage 1 to stage 21, no really bad days, winning the TTs and another 2-3 wins on regular stages
still good: clear improvements from week to week, losing a little time on some mountain stages, but generally hanging on, top10 result in the end, wins stage21 TT, maybe another stage somewhere, no terrible day and no more than one or two bad ones, some good long range solo breakaways win or lose
not good: several terrible days, not even close to winning a stage, worse in week 3 than week 1/2, struggling to hold onto the gruppetto in the mountains

Week 3 endurance over a long stage race and single day in race endurance in a monument length classic with the ability to make repeated deep efforts and recover are in a similar category but subtly different and a rider like Pogacar appears to have both in spades. MVDP and peak Gilbert are great examples of in race endurance whereas Contador at his best was someone for whom ongoing recovery during a Grand Tour was a big factor in his success. An even more extreme example would be Kruijswijk who would be as strong in week 4 if it existed as week 1 but has a much lower peak level than most GC top 5 contenders.

We know from San Sebastian, the break in Germany and the epic solo win in Poland that Remco has outstanding endurance during a single day and the Giro will be our (and his) first chance to see whether his engine is also compatible with 3 week stage race endurance.

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Week 3 endurance over a long stage race and single day in race endurance in a monument length classic with the ability to make repeated deep efforts and recover are in a similar category but subtly different and a rider like Pogacar appears to have both in spades. MVDP and peak Gilbert are great examples of in race endurance whereas Contador at his best was someone for whom ongoing recovery during a Grand Tour was a big factor in his success. An even more extreme example would be Kruijswijk who would be as strong in week 4 if it existed as week 1 but has a much lower peak level than most GC top 5 contenders.

We know from San Sebastian, the break in Germany and the epic solo win in Poland that Remco has outstanding endurance during a single day and the Giro will be our (and his) first chance to see whether his engine is also compatible with 3 week stage race endurance.
Maybe Algarve could learn us something: stage 2 win, stage 4 deep effort and becoming third, and the day after he won the ITT before Rohan Dennis. Not much but something that could indicate his daily recovery ...

Reactions: Big Doopie
Of course, but that's an open question regardless even with perfect preparation, no injury and no time off though.

But that question should finally (!) get an answer, either fully, or partially. Even if he's not yet able to compete for the maglia rosa, I think we should get a better picture of his regeneration/consistency in a 3 week race.

I would say best case scenario: Domination from stage 1 to stage 21, no really bad days, winning the TTs and another 2-3 wins on regular stages
still good: clear improvements from week to week, losing a little time on some mountain stages, but generally hanging on, top10 result in the end, wins stage21 TT, maybe another stage somewhere, no terrible day and no more than one or two bad ones, some good long range solo breakaways win or lose
not good: several terrible days, not even close to winning a stage, worse in week 3 than week 1/2, struggling to hold onto the gruppetto in the mountains
Cannot wait what the answer will be... :cool:

Maybe Algarve could learn us something: stage 2 win, stage 4 deep effort and becoming third, and the day after he won the ITT before Rohan Dennis. Not much but something that could indicate his daily recovery ...
His effort in Poland is probably more telling. Only one week after Burgos i believe, and on the penultimate stage he destroyed the competition with a huge solo effort.

All kinds of twitterfeeds are reporting he is 100% not going to ride the Giro to win, and 100% certain to be a domestique to Almeida. Some are even claiming "he promised", probably to be able to call him an ungrateful, backstabbing liar, when it turns out differently. All based on an article in ProCycling (which i haven't read, so i can't comment on the exact context and his wording), which was apparently an interview of nearly 2 months ago, right after his first altitude training, after having been back on the bike only a bit longer than a month.

In more recent news though, VeloNews talked to Sports Director Klaas Lodewijck, who basically confirms what most of us here have been thinking/saying/assuming:

“He’s going to have a free role,” Lodewyck said. “If we see after maybe 10 days that he’s growing into the race, and if he’s strong like we saw last year with Ineos and Tao Geoghegan Hart, he definitely could have that role as well. So we just have to keep him quiet and easy and see day by day.”

Furthermore, if Almeida is really aiming to leave the team, there is no doubt in my mind, the team will pick Remco over João in case it would come down to it. They'd be fools not to.

E0OHl_qWQAMCGF6

E0KjeYBXoAYvgqU

E0HuqsiWQAA-s0n

'We all hope that he’s able to finish '

And then

'He is going to have a free role'

he can try to repeat the biggest form turnaround in GT from the first MTF in all the years that I have been watching (paraphrased)

not sure if confused statements like that make for an actual news item

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS