• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 249 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Well, Geoghegan Hart never showed GT winning abilities even while winning a GT. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! :sweatsmile:;)

He hadn't, correct. But when he had to step up to the plate and become the leader of his team he did it and walked away with the trophy. He also had completed the Vuelta twice so was proven over 3 weeks racing.

I'm really hoping Remco will come back to his normal self next season as I want to see him up against the best. Then he can be judged.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Would have been good if he had raced the Vuelta for stage wins / experience, IMO. He would have likely gotten stronger, too.

I think his current level is more than enough to handle a full Vuelta, if he doesn't race for GC. No pressure, drop time early, what's the problem?

So what if Almeida is the leader and was promised leadership? (one of the reasons given) They're both (young) adults. They may not like each other that much, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Would have been good if he had raced the Vuelta for stage wins / experience, IMO. He would have likely gotten stronger, too.

I think his current level is more than enough to handle a full Vuelta, if he doesn't race for GC. No pressure, drop time early, what's the problem?

So what if Almeida is the leader and was promised leadership? (one of the reasons given) They're both (young) adults. They may not like each other that much, but it shouldn't be an issue.
I don’t know since the other thing is his youth and putting too much on him. If anything he should have just went to the Vuelta and do CdD or TdS.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
He hadn't, correct. But when he had to step up to the plate and become the leader of his team he did it and walked away with the trophy. He also had completed the Vuelta twice so was proven over 3 weeks racing.

I'm really hoping Remco will come back to his normal self next season as I want to see him up against the best. Then he can be judged.
The joke was that he still hasn't shown GT winning ability, yet he's won a GT regardless! Goddamnit.

• Haha
Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
If he was strong enough to win the Giro in 2020 at the age of 20, surely one would expect him to be the best climber in the Giro next year, right?
Yikes, disingenuous much? Remco was in an incredible fitness and had supreme confidence prior to his crash.

It’s clear he bit off more than he could chew and he tried to do something that despite his talent he couldn’t do.

Reactions: Big Doopie
And how did the level of performances compare between the two races? Did anyone in Burgos climb nearly as fast as they did in the Vuelta?
I don't know. Did you time it? I can only say that Evenepoel improved the climbing time on Picon Blanco, according to some tweets.
No matter. The point was that due to covid killing most races, that Burgos became much more important on the race calendar, and that it had an unusually strong line-up.

He got vaccinated

E7o2Ve9WUAcp3I6

Come on, Logic. Of course the Movistar riders for example didn't add anything to the value of the strength of the peloton when they were sailing in in 50th position on the mountains.
So, a bit like Lopez, Geoghegan Hart, Thomas... in the Tour, you mean. Big names just filling the roster, which happens in basically in every GC.
Hart won the 2020 Giro, Valverde finished 2nd in the 2019 Vuelta. People can keep insisting how great the GC field was in those races until the cows come home, i'll respectfully disagree.

So, a bit like Lopez, Geoghegan Hart, Thomas... in the Tour, you mean. Big names just filling the roster, which happens in basically in every GC.
Hart won the 2020 Giro, Valverde finished 2nd in the 2019 Vuelta. People can keep insisting how great the GC field was in those races until the cows come home, i'll respectfully disagree.
The strength of a GC field is not measured in names but the level of the performances.

Reactions: Sandisfan

You're blinded when it comes to Remco.

What about Froome in the Tour? Wow, Jelle Wallays beat a four-time winner, what a crazy performance, he must now shift his focus towards GTs!! Of course their participations did not end up strengthening the field one bit, just like Valverde, Mas and Soler didn't do so in Burgos...

And of course the fields in the Giro 2020 and Vuelta 2019 were not very deep. But the top in the Vuelta was very strong. I don't really know what that has to do with anything, though. And I don't know when the cows come home.

Burgos was the first race after lockdown for most in the race, winning Tour Down Under or Haut Var does not make you a grand tour winner so neither does Burgos in this situation.

My God, why do people have to be so black or white on this topic? No, you can't compare those races. Look at the vicinity of Burgos to the Tour from 2020. Look at the start list (and, of course, make a filter and see who featured in the important stages) and the route.

To add to that, most people came in super hot because there was a general consensus that the season probably wouldn't last very long.

Haut Var my a*s...

TRENDING THREADS