• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 330 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
he can TT but sadly not climb; at least we know now where his advantage is coming from

you r funny.

and a happy troll.

he has shown that he can “climb” numerous times. And, of course you know that. Lol.

can he climb as well as Pog? No.

then again, who can? No one.

the problem is the constant comparison with Pog. It serves the haters of course.

however, the way I see it, this is an amazing age of rule defying champions:

WvA
VdP
Pog
Ala

i would put Rog in there but he’s not really the same generation and tho I admire him for his amazing sportsmanship I don’t think he quite matches the natural pizazz of those mentioned above.

now Remco has shown that he is certainly exciting in different ways than any of the above. Would it not be great if he can confirm that talent at the highest level? Just so that we can enjoy these amaaaaaaazing talents…(?)

you r funny.

and a happy troll.

he has shown that he can “climb” numerous times. And, of course you know that. Lol.

the problem is the constant comparison with Pog. It serves the haters of course.

WvA
VdP
Pog
Ala

i would put Rog in there but he’s not really the same generation and tho I admire him for his amazing sportsmanship I don’t think he quite matches the natural pizazz of those mentioned above.

now Remco has shown that he is certainly exciting in different ways than any of the above. Would it not be great if he can confirm that talent at the highest level? Just so that we can enjoy these amaaaaaaazing talents…(?)
You know, sometimes people like to play with cliches and memes as kind of insider-jokes, which doesn’t mean they’re trolling?

you r funny.

and a happy troll.

WvA
VdP
Pog
Ala

I think there are at least 10GC riders that can climb better than Remco, so lets say he is an average climber.
Roglic most defintely should be part of this group

I think there are at least 10GC riders that can climb better than Remco, so lets say he is an average climber.
Roglic most defintely should be part of this group

even if we agree with you, that means that according to you there are only ten riders in the pro peloton who are above average at climbing (you initially said bad). Not necessarily good either. Just above average (or not bad). Wow…

and if you state GC riders, depends on your definition…

to me the only proven GC riders are Rog and Pog and that makes just two. Dumoulin would be my other if he was back to 2017-2018 shape. Please don’t say you consider Landa, Yates, and López GC riders. Lol!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Wvv and Sandisfan
even if we agree with you, that means that according to you there are only ten riders in the pro peloton who are not bad at climbing. Not necessarily good either. Just not bad. Wow…

and if you state GC riders, depends on your definition…

to me the only proven GC riders are Rog and Pog and that makes just two. Dumoulin would be my other if he was back to 2017-2018 shape. Please don’t say you consider Landa, Yates, and López GC riders. Lol!!
GC riders are guys that ride for the final GT position and dont lose time on purpose to hunt for stages. Out of this guys I would put Remco at about 10th spot in terms of climbing. Since there are about 15-20 guys that race for final GT position being 10th in terms of climbing is average.

Well, I am quite sure Yates and Lopez would beat Remco in a GT, hell I think even a 42 year old Valverde would beat him in a 3 week race.

Last edited:
and I quote: “he can TT but sadly not climb”

how, pray tell, is that a meme and it was clearly not a joke. It was meant to rile people up. It was trolling.

when I do it, however, I am always right. ;-)
Because after 330 pages of comments, commenting on Remco has become it’s own CN forum meme, to the extent that there were comments about how few comments there were for one short stretch. But I’m sure my perception is influenced that I mostly follow this thread for the entertainment value.

Yates has won a GT, that for me would suggest he is a GT rider.
You don't think Bernal, Carapaz or GT are proven? That's 3 just on one team.
Hard to include GT as its at least 2 years since he delivered in a 3 week race. Carapaz and Bernal are definites for that second tier just below Pog and Rog. The others are arguably 3rd tier at best as they have either lacked consistency (MAL, Simon Yates), only had one great performance (Vingegaard) or have so far only shown podium quality (Mas, Vlasov).

Hard to include GT as its at least 2 years since he delivered in a 3 week race. Carapaz and Bernal are definites for that second tier just below Pog and Rog. The others are arguably 3rd tier at best as they have either lacked consistency (MAL, Simon Yates), only had one great performance (Vingegaard) or have so far only shown podium quality (Mas, Vlasov).
I wonder: I wouldn’t put him in the 3rd tier but where would Almeida be?

Yates has won a GT, that for me would suggest he is a GT rider.
You don't think Bernal, Carapaz or GT are proven? That's 3 just on one team.

Pure climbers all. So no I do not consider them GC riders. In the true sense. Again Pog and Rog are the only two right now who fit that mold and can conquer on any terrain.

the design of the routes in recent years superficially create GC contenders out of these riders. If you had even 80km of TT, you would never ever consider Landa, Yates or López GC riders. Lol.

Last edited:
Pure climbers all. So no I do not consider them GC riders. In the true sense. Again Pog and Rog are the only two right now who fit that mold and can conquer on any terrain.

the design of the routes in recent years superficially create GC contenders out of these riders. If you had even 80km of TT, you would never ever consider Landa, Yates or López GC riders. Lol.

You are talking from a preference on how you think GTs should be made. But it comes across a bit weird when that preference leads to statements where you consider former GT winners as non GC riders.

We live in 2022. GTs are what they are. Yates has won one, podiumed others. He is a GC rider under the current racing conditions.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Almeida was 4th and 6th in very weak GT fields. I would put him in tier 5 alongside the likes of Carthy, Lutsenko, G. Martin, Bilbao, Quintana etc. at the moment. However, I do expect him to take a step up the ladder this year.

Vlasov was 4th in the same GT where Almeida finished 6th (same time to the second as the 5th by the way). Vlasov doesn't have any other GT top-10 result, although he does have a bunch of other commendable results, including already this year, but so has Almeida and he is younger. If you have 5 different people you'll get 10 different rankings, but I'm not sure how you're getting your sorted! Personally, I would put both in a 2nd, 3rd or 4th tier, depending on how much you want to break them down.

That's true, but that doesn't matter that much when all of them have proven to fight for the GC in multiple GTs. Ie, it wasn't like they had good results in one or two GTs with little TT. They might not be all-round riders, like Rogla and Poga or even Remco, but that doesn't make them less of GC riders. Between Landa, Yates brothers and Lopez they have 1 GT win, 4 GT podiums, another 6 GT top-5s and 10 GT top-10s. Obviously all of them lack TT skills above the average, but they all also lack consistency, which is more of a reason why they don't have more podiums than the lack of TT. I'm not going to count other stage race wins, but between them, they also have multiple wins in Catalunya, UAE, T-A, Suisse, Burgos, and others. Isn't the definition of a GC rider to be able to compete for the highest positions in GTs and key stage races?

GT is a pure climber? He is a world class TT rider. What you banging on about?

Bernal is capable in a rolling TT and also excellent in the crosswinds so far more than just a pure climber.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS