• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 341 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
The only big one day race that has a similar climb to this is Il Lombardia and things didn't go too well there last year (Iam not counting San Sebastian because Remco already won there). Still has you said the time is amazing let's just wait to see if he can replicate it after 150/200km

With his engine there are many races that could suit him.

He has already won a few.

The hardest part is that he probably has to win solo or he will get beaten in a sprint quite easily by many riders. It is much harder to win solo when everybody is aware and he is a marked rider.

Look at a guy like Campenaerts today. He was really strong and attacked a few times. They could just enough bring him back each time and then he had no chance in the sprint for third. His way to win was to either go solo or be lucky enough to get away with Benoot, who might have been the one rider with a worse sprint than he has.

I know it's not uncommon, but especially when climbing i tend to do the opposite.
When climbing for fun, as a cyclotourist, yes. But any real rider who has a hard time uphill will use a (too) big gear. To limit the damage somewhat. That is something completely different from preventive, to save strength, cycling uphill with a small gear during a long time.... to end the climb full gas using a big gear.

Strong effort but I don't think 1910 m/h of VAM on such a steep climb is 6.8 w/kg. Recently Pog had almost the same VAM on a bit shallower climb (Carpegna) and they estimated his effort to be around 6.5 w/kg.
Yeah actually very true. For reference Contador and Froome did 2000 VAM for that duration on Xorret de Cati in 2017

Calculation seems like a big overestimation

Though if Evenepoel had his power on Strava we can get his weight

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah actually very true. For reference Contador and Froome did 2000 VAM for that duration on Xorret de Cati in 2017

Calculation seems like a big overestimation

Though if Evenepoel had his power on Strava we can get his weight
MAL did the same climb exactly a minute and a half slower, pushing 370 watts. That's already over 6.25w/kg. Evenepoel did it 10% faster. So how do you figure that's a big overestimation?

I don't think it was 6.8, but he's obviously in excellent form for short climbs. One of Remco's problems is repeating these top efforts which is what hilly/mountain stages require.
Any insight into how the Slovenians would do fresh on such an effort? I would think they could push 6.8-7 for a 12-13 minute climb...

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think it was 6.8, but he's obviously in excellent form for short climbs. One of Remco's problems is repeating these top efforts which is what hilly/mountain stages require.
Any insight into how the Slovenians would do fresh on such an effort? I would think they could push 6.8-7 for a 12-13 minute climb...
According to the same guy, Roglic did 6,94 for 13 o 14 minutes in Superga during the second ascent at the end of the race :sweatsmile:
Also him an pogacar did 6,75 -77 (dont remember) in Puy Mary in Tour 2020 for 13 minutes after 13 days of racing and a very demanding stage for the vertical meters acumulated.
Another one, Valverde and Primoz pushing with MAL and Nairo 6,75 in Mas de la Costa over 15 minutes.
In Itzulia last stage, Pogi and Rogla wher pushing 6,6 for close to 15 minutes but in several climbs and riding full gas at the valleys.

Around 6.6 W/Kg sounds closer to reality.
Still really impressive, but someone like Sobrero did 7 W/kg for almost 10min on the final climb of the Queenstage of last years Tour of Slovenia when he was as fast as Pogacar (442W for 9:55 at a bodyweight of 63kg). https://www.strava.com/activities/5457812634/segments/2838818772453952392
In general really find it hard to compare sub 20min efforts because 2-3min longer makes a huge difference.

TRENDING THREADS