• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 361 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Without a doubt. I am personally curious on where to go from here. Can he replicate such attacks when everyone knows they are coming? Probably yes. Since today it was also already very expectable. What races can he win with that skillset? MSR, AGR, LBL, San Sebastian, Lombardia. Does his first very big win now translate in better GT racing? Not sold on that (yet).
Sanremo - no
Ronde - maybe probably hard?
AGR - yes
CSS - been there
Lombardia - pretty hard with modern routes.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Oh my God, you're just such a sore loser... Always have to find something to diminish a win for a rider you don't like when he wins.
Again: Huh? That's on you.

I seek all kinds of explanations, and don't you think that illness has played an unusual role this spring?

EDIT: We discussed weight before the race today, and maybe this is one of the benefits of his current weight?

Last edited:
Without a doubt. I am personally curious on where to go from here. Can he replicate such attacks when everyone knows they are coming? Probably yes. Since today it was also already very expectable. What races can he win with that skillset? MSR, AGR, LBL, San Sebastian, Lombardia. Does his first very big win now translate in better GT racing? Not sold on that (yet).
As Lefevre said when complimented by an Italian journo, he won and he is only 22. As for your inquiries, clearly he has the skill set to win the hilly classics, as far as GTs go after the Vuelta things should be clearer. Since last year's Giro can't be the final word, given his return from injury and total lack of races prior to it.

Last edited:
Partly but I have the feeling thats not the only factor in being that passive.
Well after 250 kilometers a lack of legs encourages "passivity." My point was nobody had the legs to be more aggressive and certainly not strong enough to close the gap to him. The insurmountable task led to the proverbial "racing for second place," with the exception of Vlasov perhaps, although we saw how far that got him. No, Remco won this on sheer force alone.

This guy rides like a cartoon,a drawing,hands in the drops, flat back, quiet upper body, fluid circled pedal stroke,kind of exactly what you are supposed to look like racing a bike, but his power is from beyond,when he stands up and crushes the cranks for even a few seconds few can stay with him and in the saddle his legs flying like a 10,000 watt sewing machine motion with RPMs that make him appear that he is in the small chain ring..I see poetry watching him..there are other current racers that have crazy quantities of talent but pound for pound don't see anyone better overall

This guy rides like a cartoon,a drawing,hands in the drops, flat back, quiet upper body, fluid circled pedal stroke,kind of exactly what you are supposed to look like racing a bike, but his power is from beyond,when he stands up and crushes the cranks for even a few seconds few can stay with him and in the saddle his legs flying like a 10,000 watt sewing machine motion with RPMs that make him appear that he is in the small chain ring..I see poetry watching him..there are other current racers that have crazy quantities of talent but pound for pound don't see anyone better overall
Just like to see him more lithe come GC appointments

Magnificent ride. I do think the big crash helped his solo as there were a lot less domestiques left to chase as some were burned in bringing their leaders back to the peloton.

Being clear helped as he could then ride Roche Aux Faucons at a strong constant tempo rather than trying to react to surges.

Strong and gutsy performance that shows he has the endurance to make the difference in a long and hilly race.

Magnificent ride. I do think the big crash helped his solo as there were a lot less domestiques left to chase as some were burned in bringing their leaders back to the peloton.

Being clear helped as he could then ride Roche Aux Faucons at a strong constant tempo rather than trying to react to surges.

Strong and gutsy performance that shows he has the endurance to make the difference in a long and hilly race.
Although the crash also principally affected Quick-Step with Alaphilippe out. In any case, many of the riders who went down surely would not have been there deeper in the race to mount a chase. Without the crash, Remco still attacks and Alaphilippe sits on for the sprint, which would have deterred many from towing him to the finish.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Amazing win in what is probably the best suited monument for Evenepoel. I still would like to see him race Flanders despite the cobbles and Amstel should also be a good race for him.

I remain a bit skeptic about GTs at least as of now but I hope that he can reach the World Championships in good condition as he will be a favourite for the ITT and an outsider for the road race.

Although the crash also principally affected Quick-Step with Alaphilippe out. In any case, many of the riders who went down surely would not have been there deeper in the race to mount a chase. Without the crash, Remco still attacks and Alaphilippe sits on for the sprint, which would have deterred many from towing him to the finish.
Without the crash I fear Quick Step would have stupidly repeated the FW script of using Vansevenant to track moves and shackle Remco to Alaphillipes hip.

That is all true but never underestimate the ability of cycling teams to make catastrophic stupid tactical decisions mid race

After seeing how Quickstep rode this spring everything is possible...

Great win for him, and I already talked about him as a main contender for LBL at the start of 2020:
The betting odds thing is a bit absurd, he's still really young and until now he has always been better on hilly and medium mountain filled terrain than on proper mountains.
I expect him to be a legit contender for lbl and the olympics this year, not for the Giro.

Reactions: Lui98
He is now again the next Eddy Merckx, no matter what the actual Eddy Merckx says. Also the favorite to win the Vuelta.

Spectacular win today, he animates any race that he is part of.

FRIBAzRXIAALerm

FRH_seAVUAApKBa

FRH_sxQUUAErryL

TRENDING THREADS