• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 371 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I was just messing about with this stupid joke, and Evenepoel is of course now quite far ahead in total wins. It’s quite funny though that the kid who was a forum meme rival to Remco back in the juniors when Remco didn’t have any real rivals has indeed become another big star.
Indeed, by staying in the wheels. Ghirmay is very talented, and is explosive at the end of a race. But, with that sad mentality, it won't be long before no one will want to ride if he is in the leading group.

Indeed, by staying in the wheels. Ghirmay is very talented, and is explosive at the end of a race. But, with that sad mentality, it won't be long before no one will want to ride if he is in the leading group.
That's not the level of aggression I saw. He and MVP (whom also has had the best of RE) were super active and aggressive. He had one day of fairly successful teamwork but spends a good deal of time successfully freelancing. His team is dedicated but doesn't have the resources of most other sprinters and there's nothing sad about that at all.
As for no one riding with him; it is always up to the rider to evolve to succeed. If there has been a constant recommendation for Remco it's been to adjust and get smarter. They're both young and totally different riders so being excessively critical of either is pointless.

Mine was, too. MVP beat Alaphilippe, Bernal, Wout....at 2021 Strade. Remco was still recovering. Anyway....the point is Girmay won an amazing spring against an amazing opponent. He's come from a complete non-cycling, minimum support country to win. He should be credited for it, not compared to a junior results.
But that "complete non-cycling, minimum support country" is the past. Now he is a pro (more than two years already). So, he has to behave as a pro. He can't always stay in the wheels because he is still young or a Eritrean. Especially because he is already a top rider with a very good sprint. The result may be that no one will want to ride if he is in a leading group . Because of his qualities and his sprint. But even more because he cooperates too little in the leading group.

But that "complete non-cycling, minimum support country" is the past. Now he is a pro (more than two years already). So, he has to behave as a pro. He can't always stay in the wheels because he is still young or a Eritrean. Especially because he is already a top rider with a very good sprint. The result may be that no one will want to ride if he is in a leading group . Because of his qualities and his sprint. But even more because he cooperates too little in the leading group.
This is such BS, half the peloton is wheelsuckers anyway, and Girmay would certainly cooperate if in danger, just basic strategy.

Brian Holm: So what have you been up to lately?
Remco: Been watching the Giro every day to get a better feel how to ride GTs.
Brian Holm: So youre riding in Norway..?
Remco: Yes, I haven't looked at the route, and I dont know whos lining up (maybe Chaves?), so hes probably one of the favorites, but so am I since Im a favourite in every race I line up for.

context. Context. He could mean what u think he means. He could also simply mean that he is “made a favorite” in every race he does. Which is also true. He does not ever appear to be allowed to do a race as training like so many others do. The expectation is that he perform at the top level always. And his performance is analyzed like none other. Not even Pog who was totally allowed to get back into race winning shape over a couple of months last fall.

so who knows? May indeed be a conceited comment or just one that reflects his reality.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Won the tour of Norway Stage 1 today! From the CN Subheader: "Belgian outsprints Johannessen to take first leader's jersey".

First time I've seen that! :D

EDIT: Just watched the final 6k, RE looked super strong, easily marking every...attack...I guess, then blowing past the group for the win. Not much to make of it I suppose other than he's looking good as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Won the tour of Norway Stage 1 today! From the CN Subheader: "Belgian outsprints Johannessen to take first leader's jersey".

First time I've seen that! :D

Really? Belgians have had a few good sprinters in their history, I believe...

Sercu, Van Linden, Maertens, etc., etc.

;-)

I know what you meant. just couldn't resist.

context. Context. He could mean what u think he means. He could also simply mean that he is “made a favorite” in every race he does. Which is also true. He does not ever appear to be allowed to do a race as training like so many others do. The expectation is that he perform at the top level always. And his performance is analyzed like none other. Not even Pog who was totally allowed to get back into race winning shape over a couple of months last fall.

so who knows? May indeed be a conceited comment or just one that reflects his reality.

I don't give a *** about the context, or what other people make him to be, or whatever. I addressed a quote about something he supposedly said.

I don't give a *** about the context, or what other people make him to be, or whatever. I addressed a quote about something he supposedly said.

that is literally one of the funniest posts ever.

apparently, context should go "***" itself whenever you quote anyone.

no wonder the world is where it is. lol.

anger management perhaps...?

and seeing your avatar now, i should have realized that context does not matter to you. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS