• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 370 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
ohhhh...I forgot to say that part. For me this Giro has no Mojo so far. (I keep watching highlights of LBL). I did enjoy the MVDP victory stage a bit.

so agree.

but it lost its mojo as soon as it presented its route and attracted only 2nd and 3rd tier GC riders who are mostly the same type of rider.

carapaz, yates, bardet, etc...

this will lead to defensive riding (i.e. not to lose) on the same terrain that they are all very evenly matched at.

i was heartened to listen to Lanterne Rouge say that GTs should return to more TT kms to force more attacks and risk-taking by the climbers.

hoping that bardet has a great giro just because i like him.

or that yates is in 2018 form and can hold it all the way this time and win a bunch of stages (as he did) by attacking.

or almeida. but almeida would be best with more TT so that he would then have to defend in the mountains. and it looks like he sacrificed his TT for climbing legs specifically because of this ridiculous parcours.

the pining for remco's next race is natural. he is without a doubt one of the 3 most exciting racers today with VDP and Pog. These are really the only ones who are willing to risk all on some sort of crazy long distance attack.

Any idea what the Belgian Nat champs route and TT are like?
The TT course doesn't seem very technical: www.belgiancycling.be/files/Documenten/Disciplines/Weg/BK/2022/220623_Gavere/Parcours/BKRouteTrageWegenElite.pdf
It's in Gavere near Semmerzake, which is basically De Gendt's paper round. He'll be motivated, like Lampaert last year. Van Aert's not riding by the way. I'm expecting Van Wilder to make the podium this year. Last year he finished 4th but he had the best time in the final lap, so he was the most fresh and could have gone faster with a different pacing plan. He also had a tube that was slowly losing pressure, and an inferior TT bike.

The RR course is next to the coastline, so basically flat as a pancake. Could be windy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLkV7i51lk

Last edited:
so agree.

but it lost its mojo as soon as it presented its route and attracted only 2nd and 3rd tier GC riders who are mostly the same type of rider.

carapaz, yates, bardet, etc...

this will lead to defensive riding (i.e. not to lose) on the same terrain that they are all very evenly matched at.

i was heartened to listen to Lanterne Rouge say that GTs should return to more TT kms to force more attacks and risk-taking by the climbers.

hoping that bardet has a great giro just because i like him.

or that yates is in 2018 form and can hold it all the way this time and win a bunch of stages (as he did) by attacking.

or almeida. but almeida would be best with more TT so that he would then have to defend in the mountains. and it looks like he sacrificed his TT for climbing legs specifically because of this ridiculous parcours.

the pining for remco's next race is natural. he is without a doubt one of the 3 most exciting racers today with VDP and Pog. These are really the only ones who are willing to risk all on some sort of crazy long distance attack.
I don't know...Alberto's protoge seems to be having a good time. What would you say if he defends strongly tomorrow? That everyone else was marking each other? We'll see.

after having seen the Dauphine route, I am surprised he is doing Suisse. Longer ITT in Dauphine and the mountains stages are not quite as hard, He could potentially win the Dauphine whereas his climbing will need to be top notch to win Suisse

Given that the intention would be to test his climbing on longer mountains and high altitude then Suisse makes sense. Plus when the schedule was drawn up Alaphillipe would have been the clear leader for the Dauphine so at least Remco won’t be called on to use up extra energy doing leadouts.

after having seen the Dauphine route, I am surprised he is doing Suisse. Longer ITT in Dauphine and the mountains stages are not quite as hard, He could potentially win the Dauphine whereas his climbing will need to be top notch to win Suisse
Between Dauphine and Suisse I think it's much more important which fits the overall buildup to the Vuelta more. Also Suisse gets softer fields.

cannot come soon enough.

Against a rather weak field unfortunately. One interesting stage though, stage 3, with a 12k at 8.2% gradient climb MTF. No ITT.

640bbf225a.png

But to be honest, unless Hart suddenly found his best form, this could be boring. I think the most interesting thing might be to see how Uijtdebroeks and Johannessen stack up.

Re:

Pro wins count so far: Evenepoel 0 - 2 Ghirmay

I was just messing about with this stupid joke, and Evenepoel is of course now quite far ahead in total wins. It’s quite funny though that the kid who was a forum meme rival to Remco back in the juniors when Remco didn’t have any real rivals has indeed become another big star.

TRENDING THREADS