• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 373 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Looking at the profile of that final climb, a good time for Remco to drop his opponents, would be at 3-4 km before the finish. The last 3 km are less steep. He could drop Johannessen Redoute style. He needs 30-40 seconds to avoid getting caught through intermediate sprints in the next 3 days imho.
Disappointed in Johannessen and in my own prediction. Very nice performance by ReV, Jay Vine and the youngsters Plapp, Brenner and Uijtdebroeks. ReV needs to learn to ride in a straight line uphill.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Win 28 puts Evenepoel ahead of Belgian cycling legend
Briek Schotte (1939-1959) (27 wins)- 2x world champion, 2x RvV winner for wins

Ties him at 46th place for Belgians in wins with Belgian legends
Andre Dierickx (1968-1981) 2x winner La Fleche Wallonne, 2x stage wins Dauphine, 2nd RvV, 2nd Paris Roubaix, 2nd LBL
Jean Aerts - (1927-1936) 1x world champion, 12 stages TDF, 1x Belgian RR champion, 3rd RvV, 3rd Paris Roubaix
Raymond Impanis (1946-1963) - 2x GC Paris-Nice, 1x winner Paris Roubaix, 1x winner RvV, 1x LaFleche Wallonne, 2x winner Gent-Wevelgem, 4x runner-up LBL, 3 GC La Vuelta

Win 28 puts Evenepoel ahead of Belgian cycling legend
Briek Schotte (1939-1959) (27 wins)- 2x world champion, 2x RvV winner for wins

Ties him at 46th place for Belgians in wins with Belgian legends
Andre Dierickx (1968-1981) 2x winner La Fleche Wallonne, 2x stage wins Dauphine, 2nd RvV, 2nd Paris Roubaix, 2nd LBL
Jean Aerts - (1927-1936) 1x world champion, 12 stages TDF, 1x Belgian RR champion, 3rd RvV, 3rd Paris Roubaix
Raymond Impanis (1946-1963) - 2x GC Paris-Nice, 1x winner Paris Roubaix, 1x winner RvV, 1x LaFleche Wallonne, 2x winner Gent-Wevelgem, 4x runner-up LBL, 3 GC La Vuelta
This post makes it look like all these guys died before 20 (and achieved a surprising amount in their short lives).

You also can't compare their victories like that. Schotte and Aerts, for instance, have won many smaller Belgian races which were worth a lot more to them back then.

Sure but we don't have relaible kermesse records for older riders, and ultiamtely we can only compare across similar/same races.

Also, I would love to get a good valuation system to rate riders that does an excellent job of rating the value of a win.

I wsa jsut posting what appears to be the win totals in races that currently count as pro wins.

Reactions: steffr222
Sure but we don't have relaible kermesse records for older riders, and ultiamtely we can only compare across similar/same races.

Also, I would love to get a good valuation system to rate riders that does an excellent job of rating the value of a win.

I wsa jsut posting what appears to be the win totals in races that currently count as pro wins.

Sure, but I don't think it tells you that much. If these riders had been riding today, they would probably have had more pro wins than that.
That doesn't take anything away from Remco's performances though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
If Remco wins Suisse, QS HAS to let him race the tour then. He'd be in shape to contend. Plus, more TT km

If he lays an egg, stick with the Vuelta plan

no. stick with the plan as is.

appears to be working very well.

despite all the early season jitters and criticisms (mine included!).

he is 22.

pog has totally altered all expectations. :-(

TRENDING THREADS