• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 419 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Remco Evenepoel's demonstration in ten figures, with an exclusive look under his hood: "I'm not great yet"

From the Van Aert thread courtesy of @Berflamand

"Van Aert won't ride the Worlds TT to prepare optimally for the Road Race.
Van Aert and Remco will be co-leaders at the Road Race and both will get a personal domestique. It should be Benoot for Van Aert and possibly Lampaert for Remco. Lampaert and Remco to ride the TT in that scenario.
Also Stuyven is a certainty for the Road Race. The rest of the selection is to be decided before the end of the month."

Ala and the French must be laughing.

Would suprise me if Remco would deliver a stellar performance here given he is probably going to go flat out during the Vuelta. We saw from the tour where Pog couldn't even follow the peleton up a small incline in san sebastian.

Remco Evenepoel's demonstration in ten figures, with an exclusive look under his hood: "I'm not great yet"

Paywall. Would be appreciated if someone could do a summary.

agreed. now WvA is basically doubling down and putting the pressure on. he did it last year when he demanded sole leadership. now he basically says he is sacrificing the ITT and putting on the pressure in another way. it would be nuts to fail to use remco again. and it seems like there is no way in hell they can cohabitate unless remco comes out of vuelta exhausted...

What is going on in Belgium? The guy refuses to ride the national championships and then ducks out of the ITT and yet he’s co-leader and will no doubt try to influence the selection further.

What is going on in Belgium? The guy refuses to ride the national championships and then ducks out of the ITT and yet he’s co-leader and will no doubt try to influence the selection further.

I guess WVA couldn't care less about getting another silver medal in the ITT and wants to be 100% fresh for the road race. A ballsy decision but not that weird considering all the 2nd places he has racked up so far. Also there is no way Remco is going to be a domestique for WVA if he is in good shape. It will probably increase his chance to win if they let Remco attack tbh. Good luck catching Remco while WVA is in your wheel lol

Reactions: Sandisfan
why would he get 2nd place? he has been fighting for top spots with the italian, switching places now and then... heck he is almost certain of a podium spot in the ITT, in the RR a big question mark. Also not clear how the ITT would influence the RR. ITs not like they are day-to-day events.

ofcourse his absence can give more chances to Remco for WC ITT if he is still in good form...

Last edited:
Reactions: KZD
I guess WVA couldn't care less about getting another silver medal in the ITT and wants to be 100% fresh for the road race. A ballsy decision but not that weird considering all the 2nd places he has racked up so far. Also there is no way Remco is going to be a domestique for WVA if he is in good shape. It will probably increase his chance to win if they let Remco attack tbh. Good luck catching Remco while WVA is in your wheel lol

Tour de France breakaway expert van Aert might be the first to attack, hoping to come second, I mean win, from a small group and leaving the rest of the Belgian team back in the peloton.

I think its a massive mistake to say its not possible to improve your condition without altitude training…
Of course, it is possible to improve your condition without altitude training. But it is very difficult to improve condition without altitude training...... by training at sea level after a altitude training camp. As Evenepoel did/does. Evenepoel can only improve its explosiveness and recovery after effort through interval training. But his already excellent basic condition will not improve. Do stay intact..... until halfway through the Vuelta.

It would have been better to split his altitude training camp in two. Two weeks before the Clasica. One week after the Clasica (after a few days rest).
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
why would he get 2nd place? he has been fighting for top spots with the italian, switching places now and then... heck he is almost certain of a podium spot in the ITT, in the RR a big question mark. Also not clear how the ITT would influence the RR. ITs not like they are day-to-day events.

ofcourse his absence can give more chances to Remco for WC ITT if he is still in good form...
Because Ganna is 100 % focusing on the worlds TT. Fresher and in better condition than in the Tour. Van Aert would not be perfectly prepared for the TT. In addition, he is mortgaging his road race by preparing for the time trial and by riding the time trial. Although I would rather have seen it differently, I can understand Van Aert's choice well. Although his choice does not guarantee a good performance during the road race.

After the Tour and San Sebastian, Evenepoel rises to fourth place in the "general" UCI ranking (after Pogacar, Roglic and Van Aert). Even to first place for the one day races.
Even if he doesn't make it in a big stage race, and is occasionally beaten in a smaller stage race, he still largely lives up to expectations.
If he gets even stronger (which remains to be seen) he can climb one more flight of stairs.

Reactions: spalco and Didinho

TRENDING THREADS