• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 481 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
France has 4 cards? That's as much true as saying France has 0 cards. They have options, like many other countries. Apparently Madouas finishing 3rd in Flanders has zapped him towards "contender" status, while the same does not appear to be the case for Hermans finishing 2nd in Liège?

Big mistake by the coach to leave Teuns at home though, because he would be a lot better on this course than for instance Lampaert or Stuyven. Someone who could go in an earlier break as a viable option while the big two don't have to chase in the bunch.
Yeah, I don't get why Teuns was left out either. He would be a great option to have for an early break as you mention, and I also get the feeling that he doesn't mind working for others if need be, so in that regard he would be great to have available later on in the race when someone like Lampaert isn't around anymore.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, I don't get why Teuns was left out either. He would be a great option to have for an early break as you mention, and I also get the feeling that he doesn't mind working for others if need be, so in that regard he would be great to have available later on in the race when someone like Lampaert isn't around anymore.
Tuens also has the uncanny ability to gauge the right effort to still win on a hilly course with the "big hitters" as well as a small group. Unfortunate that he wouldn't be there.

The belgian coach is not a coach but just a ego manager. As a result inexplicable decisions
Kind of a moooot point.. Wout and Remco from different trade teams.. w both riders, young,great results and upward trajectory.." Ok everyone today we are working for---fill in the blank"--maybe.. But w the form of the current team.. Radio and coaching calls are out the window.. Nobody is going to turn it down because the predetermined team captain is turning squares and feels listless.. France may play that way but the Belgian director is a place holder and whoever feels strong is going to drill it and say sorry later..and as pointed out.. That has been a consistent Belgian pitfall..Team Belgium strengths could turn out to be a historical weakness

Not sure, but perhaps the doping rumours in Bahrein en Teuns had something to do with it?
Might be far fetched.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Van Aert on Wielerflits about last year's WCC:

Looking back, especially with his current form, Remco could have played an important part in that race. Instead of using Remco to pull the bunch, he could have been more valuable by attacking. It would have put me in a more comfortable position in the back of the bunch. This is easy to say in hindsight, but we can learn from the situation.

I'm glad Wout has seen the light. Basically he says Evenepoel was right to criticize team tactics. I hope he now understands this tactic increases both their chances. Funny that he would say this is easy to say in hindsight, but the reality is that basically everyone and their dog was saying months before the race that this is how they should play their cards.

Van Aert on Wielerflits about last year's WCC:

Looking back, especially with his current form, Remco could have played an important part in that race. Instead of using Remco to pull the bunch, he could have been more valuable by attacking. It would have put me in a more comfortable position in the back of the bunch. This is easy to say in hindsight, but we can learn from the situation.

I'm glad Wout has seen the light. Basically he says Evenepoel was right to criticize team tactics. I hope he now understands this tactic increases both their chances. Funny that he would say this is easy to say in hindsight, but the reality is that basically everyone and their dog was saying months before the race that this is how they should play their cards.
Sometimes ego is no friend to the obvious.

Doesn’t it start at 5? Hell I thought I was the old fart on this site…
Women's was @ 160 kilometers and it started around 8..because of my schedule I am seldom awake past 930..intentionally.. Now if the race started at 4,430am my time I would be golden!! No matter what after these Australian races I am not missing it.. Even if I have to stand up!!!
One thing I will say.. France in the women's race looked like they were going to be a factor.. Nope.. And France is sending an army for the men's race.. I hope that they have a better outcome.. Sagan has been slumping and I dream of a good day for him.. Also the weather could be a factor..

The fifth week on top of the world, right?

There's a trait of his character the style he's winning in and his entire sports career reveal - the achievement motive. They all have it and it's what separates the best, but in his case, it's a part of identity... self.

TRENDING THREADS