• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 492 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I have also read Remco wants to be on the same team his whole career. And that money is less important than that. With QS being based a Belgian team, I think he might be serious. And as he racks up wins and sponsors, his pay will increase even if his team pay is not what he is worth. Something like this:

QS paying him 1mil a year. His worth is 2mil. So here he is being paid below his "value" However, sponsors such as Spealized are making the difference up. If they pay him 1mil to ride their bike and raise it to 2mil due to results. His pay is then 3mil. Which makes up the gap. Now, I could be 100% wrong with that example. But, it could be a legitimate situation.
Wait a second, what?? QS paying him 1 mil a year? are you serious. If they don't fix that quickly he is a goner. Everything that has been said on this thread about him and his loyalty is completely gone. Forget about loyalty. Team fire riders and fold all the time and leave riders and family to dry. Please don't tell me this is Remco's opportunity to take advantage of the situation. Or at least take advantage of what is fair. There are riders getting 5 mil a year for doing nothing. And Remco at this moment will even carry more popularity. So popularity is not an issue either.

And BTW, INEOS can buy that contract any time. LOL.

The current contract is low relative to his performance. When he signed it he hadn't won LBL, La Vuelta , and WC. I'm sure there were provisions in his contract for winning certain races, but who knows how much those were.

If Froome is making 5 million per Remco is worth a lot more than that per year. Froome's contract was paying for what Froome had done not what he could/would do. Froome isn't as marketable and he wasn't one day guy whereas Remco is marketable all over Belgium and he's the type of athlete that can be popular around the world.

I'm sure he makes a tidy sum on advertisements and I do not get the impression that he's money hungry, but cycling can be extremely dangerous so it makes sense to get money to take care of his family should something happen. I'm sure he's insured by Lloyd's in case there were to be a problem.

Wait a second, what?? QS paying him 1 mil a year? are you serious. If they don't fix that quickly he is a goner. Everything that has been said on this thread about him and his loyalty is completely gone. Forget about loyalty. Team fire riders and fold all the time and leave riders and family to dry. Please don't tell me this is Remco's opportunity to take advantage of the situation. Or at least take advantage of what is fair. There are riders getting 5 mil a year for doing nothing. And Remco at this moment will even carry more popularity. So popularity is not an issue either.

And BTW, INEOS can buy that contract any time. LOL.

That is an example using a simple number. QS could be paying him 25.6mil for what we know

Reactions: Escarabajo
I have also read Remco wants to be on the same team his whole career. And that money is less important than that. With QS being based a Belgian team, I think he might be serious. And as he racks up wins and sponsors, his pay will increase even if his team pay is not what he is worth. Something like this:

QS paying him 1mil a year. His worth is 2mil. So here he is being paid below his "value" However, sponsors such as Spealized are making the difference up. If they pay him 1mil to ride their bike and raise it to 2mil due to results. His pay is then 3mil. Which makes up the gap. Now, I could be 100% wrong with that example. But, it could be a legitimate situation.
He's starting to understand Big Time Sports. His window of wage opportunity is limited and, unlike NFL quarterback $200+million/5 year contracts with $125 of it paid out if you can't play tomorrow; little is guaranteed beyond the next serious crash. He also has his endorsement career to consider and being a greedy douche' during an economic downturn doesn't resonate well with his deep fan base.
He could accept less wage from QS but promote compensation from sponsors and long term supporters that will carry him into the next 10 years. The Guy is a Belgian Icon already....there is no need to cash in and crush his team support in the process this year or next year. If he's got a decent agent he will position for an international marketing personna and gradually become the sort of athlete representative that cycling lacks right now. That pays for a long time and he could concentrate on winning the Tour. He has not won a Tour and that is his gateway to a humble increase in the wages from the team who could continue to support him. Make the sponsors pay for every increase in exposure and not hurt the team base because his buddies will need to make more, too.
If Patrick/QS take the old school route where they want a cut and control him the answer is simple. F*ck Patrick because the DS's are, for the most part, mobsters that take a cut when you begin racing and want a piece of your winnings as long as you can stay on a bike. They always have the next big thing in their back pocket to keep you in line. Along that planning; he needs to continue successful progression with winning the Tour and Giro to define his career. Otherwise he could end up a crash away from many young contemporaries.

Anyone care to list the hot phenoms that were going to dominate for the next 3-5 years that are trying to get back into form and the best graces of their teams?

Last edited:
A journalist asked Lefevere about the possibility of Evenepoel leaving for Ineos. He said the odds were 0.00%. I wish he could be more precise though.

If he's got a decent agent he will position for an international marketing personna and gradually become the sort of athlete representative that cycling lacks right now.
His dad is his business manager.

Last edited:
A journalist asked Lefevere about the possibility of Evenepoel leaving for Ineos. He said the odds were 0.00%. I wish he could be more precise though.

His dad is his business manager.

Ah, I only read a quote from lefevre where he said that if someone cheats in a marriage, the counterpart is always the last to find out about it. Which seems rather strange to me.

But good to know that the chance is only 0,00%!

You do realize the only time he lost to Mas and Rog uphill was after a heavy fall, right? Stop acting as if it didn't happen then.

Also completely forgetting the point that he put over 2 minutes into these guys in the first week. He was just defending the jersey. Why go all out every single day when you lead by that much? Of course Mas gained time on him, Remco let him. Sierra Nevada is a perfect example, he was just looking at Roglic, because his lead over the Spaniard was so big at that point.

Lefevere has been more clear today. (source in NL)

Most important part is the last paragraph, imo. When both Remco and his father called him to say nothing is going on, there isn't much to the story anymore.

I have signed contracts for five years, with Remco as well as with Soudal, Quick-Step and Specialized. Alaphilippe is still with us for another three years. Nothing is binding in life, but I will do my utmost to keep those agreements. I don't like to use the word 'family' because if you are married you can always divorce today, but there are no intentions in that sense.

Then that ghost story of that message apparently started to spread. But now it has taken on a life of its own. Almost the whole world has tried to call me. Everything is for sale, but give me a reason why our boss (Zdenek Bakkala, ed.) would sell his team to another billionaire? That will not happen. It's too stupid for words. Is there not a very small chance of water? 0.00 percent. For me it is unmentionable.

I liked that Remco and Patrick (father of Evenepoel, also his son's agent, ed.) called me to reassure me, but actually I had to laugh with the whole saga. I happen to have dinner with Patrick on Thursday and we're going to discuss how we're going to go about it all in the coming weeks: the ceremony in Brussels, that match in Binche, and so on. They both urged me not to believe the Ineos saga.

Now we are talking about transfers, i think Antonio Morgado would be a great transfer for QS.
He might, but i'm not sure this is a discussion for this thread. If you are thinking as a domestique for Evenepoel, well maybe the guy has ambitions of his own. Or maybe he'll turn into more of an all-terrain one day racer. He's not an elite TT'er it seems. He also looks a bit bulky to be a true climber at this point maybe better suited to hilly classics than real mountains. But i have only seen him at the WCC. So difficult to discuss him as a dom for Evenepoel for more than one reason atm.

Vuelta =/= Tour
You almost had de bonen gefret.

Yeah....that's a problem. He's trying to think how to game LeFevere rather than marketing possibly the next cycling star beyond Lance. You need pros to succeed in that game, like cycling.
LOL
Since we are on an anglo board I am assuming you mean to be a big star in the anglo (USA) world but that's not going to happen because he is Belgian and NOBODY in the anglo world cares about any non-anglo cyclist no matter how many tour de france they win.
Its unlikely Remco is ever gonna have a better year than this one he just finished.
I would say best best best case would be TDF and a monument. but there is a small chance of that.

And NOBODY knows who the hell Tadej or Jonas are unless they are a cycling fan.
He will probably never be as big as Sagan in the english speaking world

Being a big star in the historical cycling countries? sure he's already there but that doesnt pay that much.

btw i am a big fan of him, but literally nobody in my town outside of my riding groups knows his name.
In fact I would say about half the people i ride with know his name

LOL
Since we are on an anglo board I am assuming you mean to be a big star in the anglo (USA) world but that's not going to happen because he is Belgian and NOBODY in the anglo world cares about any non-anglo cyclist no matter how many tour de france they win.
Its unlikely Remco is ever gonna have a better year than this one he just finished.
I would say best best best case would be TDF and a monument. but there is a small chance of that.

Being a big star in the historical cycling countries? sure he's already there but that doesnt pay that much.

btw i am a big fan of him, but literally nobody in my town outside of my riding groups knows his name.

That’s fair apart from the bit that you think this will be his best ever season. Let’s wait and see.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Remco rides in a good, old-fashioned style. Once he takes off he doesn't look back and rides on his own for victory. No radio, technology, etc is needed. It's only a matter of time before he starts visiting roadside cafes to make races less one-sided. I regarded Tadej to be in the same category but after the WC he complained about the lack of radios (how disappointing!)

Reactions: Big Doopie
I know someone who discussed it with his mother last week. Money doesn't seem to be the biggest issue, team strength/weakness is. Maybe the Giro isn't such a bad idea after all for 2023. Lefevere has much more room to strengthen the team in 2024 for the TdF.
This seems like the biggest issue with a TdF bid next year. The team is going to get hammered by the likes of Jumbo and UAE constituted as it is. Never been an INEOS fan, but I'd rather see him go to the Tour with that lineup than the current QS group.

Reactions: Sandisfan
LOL

Well it sounds like information doesn't spread much in your town. I wouldn't presume that applies to the rest of the World.
Sagan is well known worldwide and he worked to gain an accessible public persona. That, and winning multiple World Titles and stages of GTs, monuments, etc. It did take him being outgoing and having a self-deprecating sense of humor to make it happen. Remco is young and seems to be learning quickly. Whether he would want worldwide recognition is up to him and he may not want that. He is capable and without being the serious and fraudulent d*ck that Armstrong was, IMO. The post was speaking to his earning and success possibilities in my opinion only. We know who he is in this tiny corner of Idaho....

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well it sounds like information doesn't spread much in your town.
I don't 'know, I live and ride in the bike-crazy (for the US) bay area of Northern California, but the average person has no idea whatsoever who Remco, Tadej, or Jonas are. Guys you ride with? Sure. But it's just not a relevant sport for the general public. Armstrong became famous for winning the Tour + cancer. Without the cancer story, his visibility would have barely penetrated the US sports landscape.

Last edited:
I know someone who discussed it with his mother last week. Money doesn't seem to be the biggest issue, team strength/weakness is. Maybe the Giro isn't such a bad idea after all for 2023. Lefevere has much more room to strengthen the team in 2024 for the TdF.
Who's contract is available at the end of 2023 that would help the team in the mountains? They have enough riders for the flat and hilly profiles.

TRENDING THREADS