• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 497 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
If the reference is Froome and Sagan he deserves more than that!

From this trio Sagan is clearly above others and for a reason. Not lately sadly, but say during the prime of his career, up to 2017 kinda. On the bike, off the bike, on the road, off the road. Very complete package and that way worth every dollar or euro, imho.

I think Evenepoel is fine athlete coming in his very own way atm, dunno if he needs to morph to a rock staresque like Sagan turned (naturally but still very positive way, allways keeping humble side of things). Evenepoel carries himself very nice now hopefully future too, I think sponsors can be happy with that. In this light I see him more like Froome type of athlete, even if it makes many here furious to make comparison like that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Evenepoel is fine athlete coming in his very own way atm, dunno if he needs to morph to a rock staresque like Sagan turned (naturally but still very positive way, allways keeping humble side of things). Evenepoel carries himself very nice now hopefully future too, I think sponsors can be happy with that. In this light I see him more like Froome type of athlete, even if it makes many here furious to make comparison like that.

we are on page 497.

he is 22.

whether people like it or not he is clickbait. sponsors love that.

as long as he is healthy, he will be way bigger than sagan. he is even miles ahead of pog in terms of interest/popularity and pog has two TDFs and is arguably the best cyclist on the planet (and appears to be a nice person who wants to put on a show - how much better can it be?). and yet interest in remco dominates and will continue to do so.

From this trio Sagan is clearly above others and for a reason. Not lately sadly, but say during the prime of his career, up to 2017 kinda. On the bike, off the bike, on the road, off the road. Very complete package and that way worth every dollar or euro, imho.

He’s literally the opposite of Froome. An actual talent.

Not to make it about Sagan but, for someone who's had Covid 3 times in a year his finish at Worlds was pretty astounding. I'd put an asterix on his last 2 seasons and next year we'll find out if he cares enough to go after it.
Let's not assume Remco's career needs to be compared to either but, if he wants to step up for the money, he'll need to produce. IMO he has boatloads more talent than Froome at this age.

There he is.

9b4fdb7e-e63c-490a-bbb4-adff678f0e8e.jpeg

Het Nieuwsblad

17eb685a-43d2-11ed-b07d-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

f07aee3d-43d0-11ed-b07d-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Sporza

Last edited:
It is likely someone posted this when it came out. Came over my feed and I thought it was pretty great. The scene in the restaurant when the family and friends see his Lombardia crash is painful to watch but made easier now that we know how it has turned out:

View: https://youtu.be/3PIlX1-OkzY

I was struck by how similar his “attack” in Burgos in 2020 was to his “attack” in La Vuelta on stage 6. Just accelerating a touch until no one or few can follow.

Strange how big difference there are in how some riders initiates debate. Gilbert, one of the top classics riders after 2000 only has 685 posts. Valverde has over 8k. Evenepoel over 12k.

The Gilbert thread started in September of 2012 after he won the World Championship. From the thread:

Philippe Gilbert: Winner of the Ardennes triple, 2 time winner of AGR, winner of San Sebastian, 2 time winner of Paris-Tours, 2 time winner of Giro di Lombardia. 9 total Classic wins and 16 podiums in the classics. And now...

A world champion

It's an outlier. Remco's thread started when he was a Junior? Gilbert had been riding as a Junior, U23, or Pro for 13 years before his thread started and was already a legend. Also, he wasn't a GT guy, which seems to cause a great deal of the discussion here.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Lefevere needs to be really careful when he rates Remco‘s current value as „100 millions“… Remco was good, but:

LBL has been won by Maxim Iglinskiy before. The Vuelta was once won by Papy Horner. And even Kwiatkowski once became World Champion.

So we have to wait and see what Remco will deliver in a TdF against Vingegaard. And don‘t forget, Vinge let Pogi look like a CT rider on Granon and Hautacam… Vinge in 2022 brought Pogi‘s decline. Will Jonas in 2023 bring Remco‘s decline?…

• Haha
Reactions: Big Doopie and KZD
Remco was good, but:
LBL has been won by Maxim Iglinskiy before. The Vuelta was once won by Papy Horner. And even Kwiatkowski once became World Champion.
Tadej Pogacar is a good rider, but:
The tour has been won by Oscar Pereiro before. Tirreno-Adriatico was once won by Filippo Pozzato. And even Moreno Moser once became Strade winner.

Pogacar once was 3rd in Vuelta, so was Peter Velits.
Pogacar won Lombardia, so did Olivier Zaugg.
Pogacar won in Montreal, so did legendary Lars Petter Nordhaug.

Lefevere needs to be really careful when he rates Remco‘s current value as „100 millions“… Remco was good, but:

So we have to wait and see what Remco will deliver in a TdF against Vingegaard. And don‘t forget, Vinge let Pogi look like a CT rider on Granon and Hautacam… Vinge in 2022 brought Pogi‘s decline. Will Jonas in 2023 bring Remco‘s decline?…

Pogi is having one hell of a decline with 15 wins this season.