• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 499 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Looking at how strong Mas was today in Lombardia and in these last Italian races, makes one realize how formidable Remco was to distance him in the mountains at the Vuelta. Looks like next year is going to be quite the spectacle. Let's hope for some epic battles between the Bigs.

The two best cyclists in the world are 22 and 24 yo. Sign of new times. Hopefully more battles between them in the future, very few races together this year.

There is a good and widish pool of these young athletes and older young athletes now. Let's just hope that UCI and ASO and RCS and all can put it nice. The way that it's not just lotsa tt GT or not at all tt GT, but balanced where multiple teams per race can smell the blood easily in different scenarios, that produces great racing.

Good, good.
Can someone share the full article, please?

Good, good.

So it‘s going to be the Giro. Sticking to the plans, good move.
Love the last sentence - he regrets not having ridden MSR. Guess he‘s going for full Italian mode then next season. MSR, Giro, Lombardia.

I don't get why people think it's a good decision to not go to the Tour.

His time is now.

Exactly it will be his fifth pro season and unlike the Giro, he never rode the Tour and given that he is the World Champion is expected of him to be there (I know he lost a season but still my point stands). Besides that, going to the Tour would enable him to prepare better for the Ardennes classics during the season. By choosing the Giro some people will say that he goes there because he knows that he has no chance against Pogacar and Vingegard in the Tour. At the very least he should expect for the Tour route to be announced in order to make a final decision.

I wish he would do the Giro AND the Tour, the latter for "experience." He could enter the Tour, his first, without pressure that way. I realize this goes against conventional wisdom, but recall that guys used to do the double and perform well. Remco was good after the Vuelta, so we know he can hold form for a long time. And if he gets too tired he can abandon or just hunt stages. Whereas if he actually did well, it could establish a precedent for doing the Giro-Tour combo in the years to come, which would be a great return to the past.

Last edited:
I wish he would do the Giro AND the Tour, the latter for "experience." He could enter the Tour, his first, without pressure that way. I realize this goes against common wisdom, but recall that guys used to do the double and perform well. Remco was good after the Vuelta, so we know he can hold form for a long time. And if he gets too tired he can abandon or just hunt stages. Whereas if he actually did well, it could establish a precedent of doing the Giro-Tour combo in the years to come, which would be a great return to the past.

I think this is an interesting proposition and I think he is the man to do it. I don't think QuickStep are the team to permit it, unfortunately.

I wish he would do the Giro AND the Tour, the latter for "experience." He could enter the Tour, his first, without pressure that way. I realize this goes against common wisdom, but recall that guys used to do the double and perform well. Remco was good after the Vuelta, so we know he can hold form for a long time. And if he gets too tired he can abandon or just hunt stages. Whereas if he actually did well, it could establish a precedent of doing the Giro-Tour combo in the years to come, which would be a great return to the past.
I think you are underestimating the pressure he would be put under if he were to go to the Tour. It doesn't matter whether he himself expects to fight for the win, the media will expect it, and if he doesn't perform well that will be framed as a disappointment. It's always like that. People always started to hype up Nibali when he showed any glimpse of form at the Tour after riding the Giro and that was despite Nibali being notoriously bad at races he didn't peak for.

If Remco wants to put himself out of the spotlight, riding the Tour, but not going for the gc, is not the way to do so.

I think you are underestimating the pressure he would be put under if he were to go to the Tour. It doesn't matter whether he himself expects to fight for the win, the media will expect it, and if he doesn't perform well that will be framed as a disappointment. It's always like that. People always started to hype up Nibali when he showed any glimpse of form at the Tour after riding the Giro and that was despite Nibali being notoriously bad at races he didn't peak for.

If Remco wants to put himself out of the spotlight, riding the Tour, but not going for the gc, is not the way to do so.
I don't know. Remco seems to have the talent to try. The media can't see as a failure what he does not declare as GC intentions and does not specifically prepare for in the best way. Surely the media is well aware that if your sole GT focus isn't the Tour going into it, then, as recent history has demonstrated, it is unlikely you place high overall in the French race. It, the media, can't change that for Remco's sake. But the team and the Tour would benefit with Evenepoel at the race. I don't see going to the Tour without pressure as trying to be put out of the spotlight. Rather I view it as simply that, namely just talking the pressure off, which might even allow him to perform beyond expectations. Because, when you think about it, if the first time he goes to the Tour it's to win, well then the pressure will be an incredible burden, which may impact him negatively. Plus going to the Tour without declared ambitions allows him to see the level so that he knows the form he must reach to win it another time. Although, again, Remco has repeatedly surprised so far and he should be much stronger next year, so I don't see the harm in it. I'd even dare say it's a non-losing scenario, whereas going all-in for his first Tour and not winning would be an undeniable defeat.

Last edited:
I wish he would do the Giro AND the Tour, the latter for "experience." He could enter the Tour, his first, without pressure that way. I realize this goes against common wisdom, but recall that guys used to do the double and perform well. Remco was good after the Vuelta, so we know he can hold form for a long time. And if he gets too tired he can abandon or just hunt stages. Whereas if he actually did well, it could establish a precedent for doing the Giro-Tour combo in the years to come, which would be a great return to the past.
In that Golden Era you also had a few that would do all 3 tours. They had some dedicated and medicated riders back then, too.
It is a good training and experience bloc to do the Giro and start the Tour with a definite and disclosed early departure date. Getting super-fatigued can compromise more than one season if a young rider isn't careful. Having a plan would allow Remco to see the difference in media pressure and intensity with a mandated exit strategy. The press would, hopefully, cut him enough slack to take it all in and enjoy it.

I don't know. Remco seems to have the talent to try. The media can't see as a failure what he does not declare as GC intentions and does not specifically prepare for in the best way. Surely the media is well aware that if your sole GT focus isn't the Tour going into it, then, as recent history has demonstrated, it is unlikely you place high overall in the French race. It, the media, can't change that for Remco's sake. But the team and the Tour would benefit with Evenepoel at the race. I don't see going to the Tour without pressure as trying to be put out of the spotlight. Rather I view it as simply that, namely just talking the pressure off, which might even allow him to perform beyond expectations. Because, when you think about it, if the first time he goes to the Tour it's to win, well then the pressure will be an incredible burden, which may impact him negatively. Plus going to the Tour without declared ambitions allows him to see the level so that he knows the form he must reach to win it another time. Although, again, Remco has repeatedly surprised so far and he should be much stronger next year, so I don't see the harm in it. I'd even dare say it's a non-losing scenario, whereas going all-in for his first Tour and not winning would be an undeniable defeat.
You are acting like the media is a rationally thinking person, not the machine, trying to generate as many clicks as possible, it really is.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Giro-Tour is the dumbest thing you can do.

You also can not frame going to the Giro as some form of "not only peaking for the Tour" because the Tour fits in a season with spring and fall classics better.

There's 2 reasons to do the Giro over the Tour.

1. You want to do Giro-Vuelta.
  2. You estimate the odds of winning the Giro are far greater than winning the Tour.

It's not the former. Merlier is racing the Vuelta, supposedly.

TRENDING THREADS