• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 526 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
That's cool have someone like him with is mentality and personality. He's more like a villain, and pogacar more like playing the role of "hero". That's good for the competition and the sport. It quit boring when there's isn't a villain, and this villain is a hell of a rider.
How would he be any more of a villain than Pogacar, lol. Because you're a fan of one and not of the other?

so many riders to compare to and he goes for "him"??

I’ve had Armstrong comparisons in my head more than once when watching Remco, mostly the mentality. Similarly very sure of who he is and what he’s after.

Also very different in many ways, notably he seems to genuinely root for and work for his teammates success, and will occasionally defer. Might just be an age thing, when he’s 27 and has the palmares he’ll likely have, I won’t expect him to defer to anyone.

Last edited:
I’ve had Armstrong comparisons in my head more than once when watching Remco, mostly the mentality. Similarly very sure of who he is and what he’s after.

Also very different in many ways, notably he seems to genuinely root for and work for his teammates success, and will occasionally defer. Might just be an age thing, when he’s 27 and has the palmares he’ll likely have, I won’t expect him to defer to anyone.

Yes, and he’s not a sociopath. I would say that would be the biggest difference.

Mentality reminds me more of Hinault or even, yes, Merckx. He has “la hargne” as they say.

Those thinking/hoping he will burn out soon because he is successful so young are in for disappointment. I do not believe that is in his DNA.

In terms of good guy/bad guy with Pog. It’s weird, Pog seems like a hugely fun and nice guy. And the way he rides is exciting without a doubt. However, I find myself not connecting emotionally. I am in awe. I would prefer his way of riding/attacking more than almost any other rider, and yet…perhaps it is the lack of personal adversity to date. And he has no naysayers. In the meantime, Remco has had to deal with huge expectations, myriad naysayers, and a career and life-threatening crash.

Quite a number of people who saw Merckx win the world championship for amateurs in 1964 (Sallanches) were convinced they were never going to see another cyclist like Eddy. UNTIL they saw Remco win the juniors. It was with the same ease and dominance.

BTW : If you read the previous article you will be amazed by what happened in 1964.

Reactions: Big Doopie

Very light pre giro schedule

This seems more like a schedule of a grio/tour double, that CN was reporting

San Juan
UAE
TA
Ardennnes
Giro

He's likely doing a fair bit more than that. Adding the tour gives him the expected number of race days

Reactions: Sandisfan

San Juan
UAE
TA
Ardennnes
Giro

He's likely doing a fair bit more than that. Adding the tour gives him the expected number of race days

So early battles between Remco and Teddy confirmed! As for the light schedule Pogacar had a similar one in 2021 except Tour of Basque instead of San Juan. And he did just one GT.

San Juan
UAE
TA
Ardennnes
Giro

I would substitute Itzulia or ToA, the usual Giro prep race (but that could compromise Liege), for UAE. Yet definitely I'd put Itzulia on his schedule (unless he Indeed does Giro-Tour).

Last edited:
Reactions: houtdffan
2022 was not a light schedule at all. He had 20 more race days than Van Aert and 14 more than Pogacar. He had over 20 race days when he started the Ardennes and in every race he raced to win.
So do Wout and Pogacar. It’s all a long way from the days of Nibali etc riding around building themselves into form. For the current generation of superstars every day they pin on a race number they treat it as a chance to win. Great attitude.

TRENDING THREADS