• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 535 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Ah yes the little known “mind boggled bias.”
Bull-sheet. Look if he was mind-boggled, it's because he hasn't seen anything like it. Anyone who has raced knows class when he sees it, at the various levels in relative declination. Someone attacks and it's like a rocket taking off and you say what the fook?!? Not gonna get that wheel. When Valverde is the one saying it from first hand experience, there is no bias, but pure honest sensation.

Last edited:
Bull-sheet. Look if he was mind-boggled, it's because he hasn't seen anything like it. Anyone who has raced knows class when he sees it, at the various levels in relative declination. Someone attacks and it's like a rocket taking off and you say what the fook?!? Not gonna get that wheel. When Valverde is the one saying it from first hand experience, there is no bias, but pure honest sensation.
Well, I've raced quite a bit, and I have also experienced similar when you are suffering then someone rides off the front and you think WTF. But I still think that is an example of subjective bias.

Knowing Remco's ride in the worlds Valverde's comments are not surprising - yes, even a pro with his record and long career. I think we know the type of rider AV is means he could never ride off the front like that, so of course he was shocked.

But as I mentioned upthread, if he is truly as good as AV's comment suggests (and you inferred by quoting it) we won't have to wait long for the confirmation, so I think we need to temper the hype until history unfolds.

Yes but when it's AV saying WTF, then that raises eyebrows. Subjective holds true to a point, for at WT level and a top rider saying it means business.
I remember a similar quote from two Tour winners when they managed to get on Peter Sagan's wheel some 7km from a flat finish. They made some show of trading pulls but mostly hung on and made a feeble attempt to outsprint him at the finish. They did not succeed.
No one saw that particular move coming but you can be certain Sagan's opponents never made the same mistake of not responding to a seemingly suicidal gap attack.

Reactions: Cookster15
I remember a similar quote from two Tour winners when they managed to get on Peter Sagan's wheel some 7km from a flat finish. They made some show of trading pulls but mostly hung on and made a feeble attempt to outsprint him at the finish. They did not succeed.
No one saw that particular move coming but you can be certain Sagan's opponents never made the same mistake of not responding to a seemingly suicidal gap attack.
True, but Sagan was no TTer or climber. Yikes!

Non-exhaustive list of potential biases at play in Valverde’s proclamation (and our posts):
  • Recency bias: Valverde had just been beaten by Remco when he made the comments.
  • Availability bias: Remco had a recent run of success so Valverde rated that higher than Pogacar’s broader body of work.
  • Anchoring bias: Remco was the original “next Mercx” and it is difficult to shake the initial perspective. In fact this might lead to…
  • Confirmation bias: Only paying attention to facts that confirm the view of Remco as the best and disregarding evidence to the contrary.
  • Hot hand fallacy: Because Remco is on a tear, he will continue without impediment from others.
  • Exposure bias: He raced Evenpoel head to head a lot more than Pogi and Vingo, including in the Vuelta.
  • Country bias: Remco honored and won his home tour.
  • Audience bias: He was speaking to Belgians, not Slovenians.

Might be post of the year.

Except for the list of potential biases against assessment. As in you don't know what the fuk you are talking about!
You’re usually very coherent. What got in the way here? Also, does it make it better if I say that I think those biases affect all of us, including Roglic fans like myself? Also, I am a Remco fan, just not exclusive.

You’re usually very coherent. What got in the way here? Also, does it make it better if I say that I think those biases affect all of us, including Roglic fans like myself? Also, I am a Remco fan, just not exclusive.
Beer.

What I meant was it's all to facile to cry "confirmation bias" or whatever, because of the brashness of the statement, less easy to conclude there is the distinct possibility that one, in this case a seasoned veteran with actual firsthand experience (which none here have), knows what he is talking about and that the those claiming bias don't.

At any rate, time will tell just how true or false Valverde's assessment was, will be or won't be. It would be interesting to see, however, how much folks are willing to bet against him on grounds of being biased or for him on grounds of actually being in the know.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cookster15
Of course Sagan could climb. Not as well as Van Aert, obviously, but comparing him to Cavendish is more a sign of forgetfulness than any bias.
The point was that everyone who finishes inside the time limit at the Tour can climb compared to non-pros, yet the difference between Evenepoel (for the original statement was about him) and Sagan is greater than that between Sagan and Cav, who, for example, won MSR getting over the Capi.

The point was that everyone who finishes inside the time limit at the Tour can climb compared to non-pros, yet the difference between Evenepoel (for the original statement was about him) and Sagan is greater than that between Sagan and Cav, who, for example, won MSR getting over the Capi.

Okay, for the record I think the gap between Remco and Sagan (at peak) and Sagan and Cavendish is approximately the same. If not smaller. Look at Sagan on Mount Baldy 2015.

But I don't want to spend my Sunday in some rabbit hole where some people may think that I argue that Sagan has a similar skillset to Remco ;)

Reactions: Extinction
Okay, for the record I think the gap between Remco and Sagan (at peak) and Sagan and Cavendish is approximately the same. If not smaller. Look at Sagan on Mount Baldy 2015.

But I don't want to spend my Sunday in some rabbit hole where some people may think that I argue that Sagan has a similar skillset to Remco ;)
Too late now.

I asked ChatGPT what it thinks about Valverde's statement and this is the answer: "It is difficult to say how accurate a statement like this is, as it is a matter of personal opinion. Valverde, who has had a long and successful career, may believe that Evenepoel is the best cyclist in his generation based on what he has seen of his abilities and achievements. However, it is ultimately up to others to decide whether or not they agree with this assessment. Additionally, it is worth noting that Evenepoel is still relatively young and his career is just beginning, so it is possible that he may continue to improve and achieve even more in the future." With these wise words of a chatbot we can now end the discussion ;)

I asked ChatGPT what it thinks about Valverde's statement and this is the answer: "It is difficult to say how accurate a statement like this is, as it is a matter of personal opinion. Valverde, who has had a long and successful career, may believe that Evenepoel is the best cyclist in his generation based on what he has seen of his abilities and achievements. However, it is ultimately up to others to decide whether or not they agree with this assessment. Additionally, it is worth noting that Evenepoel is still relatively young and his career is just beginning, so it is possible that he may continue to improve and achieve even more in the future." With these wise words of a chatbot we can now end the discussion ;)

Probably the Chatbot is as accurate as any of us :)

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS