• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 538 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
MSR will not happen.

No one has to follow him on Cipressa.

There will be way too many full teams that can work between Cipressa and Poggio. He would get swamped and dropped on the Poggio.

And even if he made it to the top with a handful of seconds, no way he descends faster than the best. He is a better descender than before, but not balls to the wall good like you have to be. Besides, wouldn’t want him jeopardizing his career taking crazy risks for the worst monument of them all. Why would u?

first 1k is at 5.8%. The final 2 km is basically a false flat

That said, I still overstated the difficulty a bit. Its closer to a 5% average gradient over the first 4 km instead of 6-7
It would be almost impossible for remco to drop pogacar, van der poel or van aert on that climb. Even attacking by far, he would be followed by then. It would even be difficult for him to beat them on the sprint.
One day races like il lombardia, with more difficult climbs, are more suitable for remco.

Last edited:
It would be almost impossible for remco to drop pogacar, van der poel or vam aert on that climb. Even attacking by far, he would be followed by then. It would even be difficult for him to beat them on the sprint.
One day races like il lombardia, with more difficult climbs, are more suitable for remco.
Van der Poel is not healthy right now...we still don't know how he will progress until those races come

Reactions: Sandisfan
It would be almost impossible for remco to drop pogacar, van der poel or van aert on that climb. Even attacking by far, he would be followed by then. It would even be difficult for him to beat them on the sprint.
While i'm sure he could win a sprint against many climbers or domestiques at the end of a hard day, him sprinting against those 4 would need a miracle for him not finishing last.

Yes, more difficult races would suit him much better. But on the other hand, let's not forget he has won in ways and in races/stages that weren't even that hard, that nobody ever thought would make sense. Let's say QS makes the race as hard as possible, and he does attack early, gets away with an elite group including Pogacar, Van Aert, Van der Poel and some others that could survive Cipressa. If noone has any doms left to work, i could see a scenario where sets an excruciating pace at the foot of the Poggio, form permitting... If he does get a gap, knowing it's him, who is going to do the work chasing him? They will bank on catching him on the downhill, but if he has a 5 second lead after the descent, he's gone.

Which/how many of his presumed goals does he have to win this year for it not to feel like a failure. Is anything less than Giro, Liege, WCTT a bad season for him?
Was this season a failure for Pogacar? He did win Lombardia but that was not the biggest goal.
I think a failure would need him to not be in contention for a big victory at all. We can expect him on the podium of the Giro, but a lot can happen, and not every setback has to mean failure.

Reactions: hayneplane
Was this season a failure for Pogacar? He did win Lombardia but that was not the biggest goal.
I think a failure would need him to not be in contention for a big victory at all. We can expect him on the podium of the Giro, but a lot can happen, and not every setback has to mean failure.
I think for some it was.
He had such insane expectations after a similar season as Remco this year, and ultimately didn't deliver.
Being amazing all year round in all different types of race is admired by the board, but ultimately JV won one race, did nothing in anything else, and still probably had the more successful season.

Could only happen if it was raced hard from the start so that a lot of doms are already tired halfway. The race is too easy otherwise, the peloton would be too big and he would never get away far enough to hold a lead over the Poggio. But i'd like to see him try. I wonder what would happen if he were to attack full out at the foot of the Poggio and just keep going. Not wait for the sprint on the steepest section, but make everybody suffer before that. I think in a TT, nobody would beat him up a "climb" like that. If he has 5 seconds after the Poggio, he's gone.

You're actually helping his case imho.
5 seconds at the top of the Poggio or 5 seconds at the foot of the descent. Big difference as 5 seconds at the foot they never see him again until after the victory salute but a 5 seconds lead at the top would imo be gobbled up on the twisty technical descent.

Poggio is a pedalling descent, so I'm not that sure he would lose a truckload of time.

What are you talking about? There are tons of hairpins on the Poggio descent.

I mean, both things are true. But the guys who have broken free on the descent are the best descenders in the peloton. Remco has clearly gotten better but I just don't see, given his talents and limitations, why he would make this race a goal. There are so many other ones which suit him so much better. IMO if he ever makes this a priority it will be because he's already won every other monument, which of course may never happen.

I mean, both things are true. But the guys who have broken free on the descent are the best descenders in the peloton. Remco has clearly gotten better but I just don't see, given his talents and limitations, why he would make this race a goal. There are so many other ones which suit him so much better. IMO if he ever makes this a priority it will be because he's already won every other monument, which of course may never happen.
I agree with this, but on the other hand MSR is the most "lottery-like" race among the monuments. If you want to win it during your career, it's probably best to get as many chances as possible, especially if the race itself doesn't really suit your type of rider.

I agree with this, but on the other hand MSR is the most "lottery-like" race among the monuments. If you want to win it during your career, it's probably best to get as many chances as possible, especially if the race itself doesn't really suit your type of rider.
Fair, I just don’t see that approach at this point from Remco and company. Very targeted and specific. I have seen zero interest from him in MSR.
Nah, it's about what the opportunity costs are, and they're not that high.
Disagree. There’s no scenario in which he can win without going balls out on the descent of the Poggio. Cost of a mistake there is yuge. Before his season really gets underway.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Fair, I just don’t see that approach at this point from Remco and company. Very targeted and specific. I have seen zero interest from him in MSR.

Disagree. There’s no scenario in which he can win without going balls out on the descent of the Poggio. Cost of a mistake there is yuge. Before his season really gets underway.

Why are they huge? Sure, he can crash, but most likely it will happen in a curve where the speed isn't that high.