• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 687 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
no i said:

don't omit words to suit your bias, they have a meaning.

and yes he needed 3 years to participate in 5 WT stage races. Ayuso/Pog did 4 in the first year. So he effectively and by all means and measure did less WT stage races when he started)
(where you don't participate you cannot win)
So, I'm curious, what you think are the other reasons for the lack of WT stage wins?
(Cause this one is not good enough).

Today a Belgian podcast (Wuyts & Vlaeminck) speculated about Remco's possible participation in the TdF.
I still have to listen, but apparently Serge Pauwels (performance coach of the Belgian Team) would have said it is not yet excluded Remco will participate.

Let's hope.

Anyway, on Saturday I spotted Louis Vervaeke on his bike (just a ride with wife and child), but it means he's no longer suffering from Covid.
Vervaeke tested positive after Remco, so I guess Remco should be fine right now as well. I know, everyone responds differently to Covid, but it's at least not a bad sign.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Today a Belgian podcast (Wuyts & Vlaeminck) speculated about Remco's possible participation in the TdF.
I still have to listen, but apparently Serge Pauwels (performance coach of the Belgian Team) would have said it is not yet excluded Remco will participate.

Let's hope.

Anyway, on Saturday I spotted Louis Vervaeke on his bike (just a ride with wife and child), but it means he's no longer suffering from Covid.
Vervaeke tested positive after Remco, so I guess Remco should be fine right now as well. I know, everyone responds differently to Covid, but it's at least not a bad sign.

so, was Lefevre just blowing smoke or did Prudhomme pay him off?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
So, I'm curious, what you think are the other reasons for the lack of WT stage wins?
(Cause this one is not good enough).
- Not having a focus to really try and win one of the big 7 as a goal. (where i think dauphine is most prestigious. UAE/Benelux/Turkey/ I consider the lowest tier in WT)
- Not being good enough/experienced enough. (early season, different goals, just not there)
- and ofcourse covid + his crash that side tracked him a year and resulted in him doing the Giro instead of doing Dauphine/TDS in the hope to catch up. (setting him back further)

I hope they play the long game and not make same mistake that Declercq. Known steps method is at least 17 days heavily reduced recovery program if no cardiac problems. So this month goes there. At least. I hope they skip Tour right away and try to bring Vuelta nicely to the table if recovery goes ok.
Already been confirmed: no tour, no vuelta. No Dauphiné either, as it comes too soon.

Some Italian media are reporting that RCS payed Remco 1M to race the Giro. Take it with a grain of salt, but if that's true it's just absurd.
Lefevre will be mad once he finds out that they payed nearly all the money to the rider and he only got peanuts. :D
Lefevere supposedly commented on this. He didn't divulge the amount (but he didn't deny it) but it wasn't for the Giro, it was a package deal for all RCS races and not just for Evenepoel. So that includes UAE Tour, Giro, Lombardia... but also MSR etc.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Csl3V5vtoaa

"So,

It’s difficult to decide where to start.

But let’s start with the positive news. After today’s check-ups and medical screenings, I got the green light to start training again and to think about new goals. I should thank in first place my wife & parents for the support they gave me the last few days. Also my closest family members & friends really supported me a lot and well!

Also people to thank: my teammates and team members of @soudalquickstepteam!

Then, my feelings after having to abandon the Giro. Definitely one of the hardest setbacks in my still very short career. Leaving the race with a COVID-19 infection was a very brutal end of what could have been a beautiful story. 6 months of full preparation for only this race. Sacrifices, long days in the rain, long periods away from home. Everything was going according plan but that is how sport goes. Ups & downs are part of our job and I can accept that without any problem at all. What is hard to accept is all the fake and negative comments I got after having to leave the race. I am not the type of person that is going to hide or is afraid of losing. So this is for those thinking that. The last days were emotionally very hard because of these comments. But I will take those moments with me on the bike, preparing for my next goals and races.

So, I just want to ask everyone to remember I am not a robot, but also a normal human being, husband, son, teammate etc. with normal feelings.

I am really looking forward to set some new goals and feel ready to make it a beautiful second part of this till now beautiful season.

See you soon."