• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 688 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Csl3V5vtoaa

"So,

It’s difficult to decide where to start.

But let’s start with the positive news. After today’s check-ups and medical screenings, I got the green light to start training again and to think about new goals. I should thank in first place my wife & parents for the support they gave me the last few days. Also my closest family members & friends really supported me a lot and well!

Also people to thank: my teammates and team members of @soudalquickstepteam!

Then, my feelings after having to abandon the Giro. Definitely one of the hardest setbacks in my still very short career. Leaving the race with a COVID-19 infection was a very brutal end of what could have been a beautiful story. 6 months of full preparation for only this race. Sacrifices, long days in the rain, long periods away from home. Everything was going according plan but that is how sport goes. Ups & downs are part of our job and I can accept that without any problem at all. What is hard to accept is all the fake and negative comments I got after having to leave the race. I am not the type of person that is going to hide or is afraid of losing. So this is for those thinking that. The last days were emotionally very hard because of these comments. But I will take those moments with me on the bike, preparing for my next goals and races.

So, I just want to ask everyone to remember I am not a robot, but also a normal human being, husband, son, teammate etc. with normal feelings.

I am really looking forward to set some new goals and feel ready to make it a beautiful second part of this till now beautiful season.

See you soon."

Thanks for reminding us that you‘re a normal son, Remco. I thought you were a weird son who has his dad as a manager.

• Haha
Reactions: Krzysztof_O
"What is hard to accept is all the fake and negative comments [...]"

'Fake comments' had me frowning for a second.
Perhaps this is a translation of the wrong homonym in 'valse opmerkingen', which in this context would be 'mean or malicious comments'.
It would surprise me if a fluent speaker of English would have translations on his own Instagram account. I would assume those are his own words. Maybe you mean his own translation in his own head?

Reactions: Andre
This is what he means by fake and negative comments: all those people yelling that he should go to the Tour, while he's clearly not ready for that.
Its very clear he is referring to the idea he ran away in the giro to not compete. Where gazetta and some slovenian idiot alluded to.
Which is clear by the next sentence.

From the movie behind the scenes, besides the cursing on his terrible *** legs during the ITT, he stated he pushed 20W less than expected. Would have been a demonstration of an ITT if he wasn't sick. Still what a pity he couldn't continue the Giro anymore. Would have loved to see how he would have done in this 3rd week and what his additional weight would have had as an effect. (positive or negative)

Belgium's favourite YouTuber Average Rob was following Remco during this Giro, to make a short documentary for one of our bigger TV and media companies.

They just released a teaser with some clear images of how Remco was feeling worried about his health leading up to his abandon, his 'pacing' during that time trial, also his mom giving him advice to take care of himself and listening to the doctor because he looked sick. There's also a bit where Rob is facetiming Remco and they're talking just after he left the Giro, and how upsetting it was after all the sacrifice and dedication he and the team went through for this race.

It's clear as day to me that la Gazzetta and a certain Slovenian gave the dumbest of opinions about all this. And Remco's Instagram post is a sincere one.

I'm not sure what his race schedule should be. Personally I hope for a GT and of course we're all longing for the Tour, but I keep believing they have his best interest at heart.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.nieuwsblad.be%2FAssets%2FImages_Upload%2F2023%2F05%2F24%2Fe01f2ad7-b295-4b01-9155-b9ba9305e6df.png

'Is there a doc around? My nose is stuffed', on the morning of the second TT.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.nieuwsblad.be%2FAssets%2FImages_Upload%2F2023%2F05%2F24%2Fa42407df-8025-46f0-83a0-c2859d9865c6.png

'I hope I'm not getting sick', after the TT to his mother.

Last edited:
If he goes I truly hope he just goes for a win in the first two weeks, maybe even deliberately drop for 20 minutes and just have fun.
Ugh, no. Why on earth should he do that? What does he gain? He won't go toe to toe with prime Vinge/Pog and test where he stands in comparison. He won't get the experience what it is to ride the Tour for GC and the mediacircus that comes with that. He throws away a chance to win a GT. Then he'd better just go for the Vuelta. I rate a second Vuelta win higher than 2 TDF stages. And so should he. What if he wins a stage? Then he can say he won a TDF stage? Just like Hugo Houle, Mike Teunissen, Patrick Konrad and hundreds of others.

If he goes, he has to do it if he is in good enough shape to at least push Pog and Vinge or more. If that's not possible, then go for WCC + Vuelta.

Ugh, no. Why on earth should he do that? What does he gain? He won't go toe to toe with prime Vinge/Pog and test where he stands in comparison. He won't get the experience what it is to ride the Tour for GC and the mediacircus that comes with that. He throws away a chance to win a GT. Then he'd better just go for the Vuelta. I rate a second Vuelta win higher than 2 TDF stages. And so should he. What if he wins a stage? Then he can say he won a TDF stage? Just like Hugo Houle, Mike Teunissen, Patrick Konrad and hundreds of others.

If he goes, he has to do it if he is in good enough shape to at least push Pog and Vinge or more. If that's not possible, then go for WCC + Vuelta.
He’ll still learn what it is to ride a TDF, he’ll definitely learn the media circus even if he doesn’t go for GC. He can win multiple stages in 1 TDF, and wear the yellow jersey. And who knows if he feels like it just go for the mountain classification while hunting stage victories.

Ok, In the behind the scenes video, he said after the TT that he was bad and pushed 20W less than he wanted to. That means he would normally push the same watts as Thomas (we had the stats from Velon, that showed Evenepoel pushed 20W less than Thomas which is possible due to being more aero). Thomas is 12cm taller and weighs +/- 8kg more.

He’ll still learn what it is to ride a TDF, he’ll definitely learn the media circus even if he doesn’t go for GC. He can win multiple stages in 1 TDF, and wear the yellow jersey. And who knows if he feels like it just go for the mountain classification while hunting stage victories.
How is he going to wear the yellow jersey if he is going to lose 20 minutes to be able to go into breaks and fight for stagewins? Riding the Tour as a stagehunter is nothing like riding the Tour for GC. He will learn nothing from it, except that he can beat Kragh Andersen or Pinot in a breakaway. We already know that he can, he already knows that. The moment he gets the yellow jersey he will want to fight for it, which makes no sense if he isn't in form to do so. And even if he isn't in form, they are not going to give the yellow jersey to him, like they gave pink to Armirail.

Ok, In the behind the scenes video, he said after the TT that he was bad and pushed 20W less than he wanted to. That means he would normally push the same watts as Thomas (we had the stats from Velon, that showed Evenepoel pushed 20W less than Thomas which is possible due to being more aero). Thomas is 12cm taller and weighs +/- 8kg more.

How is he going to wear the yellow jersey if he is going to lose 20 minutes to be able to go into breaks and fight for stagewins? Riding the Tour as a stagehunter is nothing like riding the Tour for GC. He will learn nothing from it, except that he can beat Kragh Andersen or Pinot in a breakaway. We already know that he can, he already knows that. The moment he gets the yellow jersey he will want to fight for it, which makes no sense if he isn't in form to do so. And even if he isn't in form, they are not going to give the yellow jersey to him, like they gave pink to Armirail.
How many time he would gain to thomas doing 20 more watts?