• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 689 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Ugh, no. Why on earth should he do that? What does he gain? He won't go toe to toe with prime Vinge/Pog and test where he stands in comparison. He won't get the experience what it is to ride the Tour for GC and the mediacircus that comes with that. He throws away a chance to win a GT. Then he'd better just go for the Vuelta. I rate a second Vuelta win higher than 2 TDF stages. And so should he. What if he wins a stage? Then he can say he won a TDF stage? Just like Hugo Houle, Mike Teunissen, Patrick Konrad and hundreds of others.

If he goes, he has to do it if he is in good enough shape to at least push Pog and Vinge or more. If that's not possible, then go for WCC + Vuelta.
I think he can and will only start with the mindset to win, regardless what is said in the media. I do think that he should have the option to recalibrate when he loses too much time due to whatever reason and give himself some space to attack early with the main purpose of winning stages. There is no value in going for 10th or even 5th place. I also wonder what happens if for some reason the GC group miscalculates his attack and he gets back in to the podium battle. That's the kind of atypical drama that you can expect with Remco. His WC win is an example of such a dramatic miscalculation.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
How is he going to wear the yellow jersey if he is going to lose 20 minutes to be able to go into breaks and fight for stagewins? Riding the Tour as a stagehunter is nothing like riding the Tour for GC. He will learn nothing from it, except that he can beat Kragh Andersen or Pinot in a breakaway. We already know that he can, he already knows that. The moment he gets the yellow jersey he will want to fight for it, which makes no sense if he isn't in form to do so. And even if he isn't in form, they are not going to give the yellow jersey to him, like they gave pink to Armirail.
The first weekend is basically created for him... Win a stage and the yellow jersey there. Then during the first mountain stage, just let yourself drop.

I don't think he can recover from covid, get in a good enough form to content podium at the Tour. And if you can't do that, why even bother trying that and get the whole country on your case again... Just ride the Tour to experience it, have fun, and win some stages. Use it as a training for WC, and win the TT as well as the road race. You can still go on holiday and focus on Canadian and Italian classics afterwards.

Belgium's favourite YouTuber Average Rob was following Remco during this Giro, to make a short documentary for one of our bigger TV and media companies.

They just released a teaser with some clear images of how Remco was feeling worried about his health leading up to his abandon, his 'pacing' during that time trial, also his mom giving him advice to take care of himself and listening to the doctor because he looked sick. There's also a bit where Rob is facetiming Remco and they're talking just after he left the Giro, and how upsetting it was after all the sacrifice and dedication he and the team went through for this race.

It's clear as day to me that la Gazzetta and a certain Slovenian gave the dumbest of opinions about all this. And Remco's Instagram post is a sincere one.

I'm not sure what his race schedule should be. Personally I hope for a GT and of course we're all longing for the Tour, but I keep believing they have his best interest at heart.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.nieuwsblad.be%2FAssets%2FImages_Upload%2F2023%2F05%2F24%2Fe01f2ad7-b295-4b01-9155-b9ba9305e6df.png

'Is there a doc around? My nose is stuffed', on the morning of the second TT.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.nieuwsblad.be%2FAssets%2FImages_Upload%2F2023%2F05%2F24%2Fa42407df-8025-46f0-83a0-c2859d9865c6.png

'I hope I'm not getting sick', after the TT to his mother.
Honestly, I am not going full conspiracy theorist here, but I am surprised he pulled out that same day given his assessment in the morning was that he had a blocked nose, after the TT it was just “I hope I’m not getting sick,” he still won the stage, and there was a rest day the next day. Maybe it got really bad really fast but based on his socials it didn’t. Just seems like a strange decision. Hate on Lance all you want (and I’ll join you), but there is no way Lance would have made that decision. Not Froome IMO.
Ugh, no. Why on earth should he do that? What does he gain? He won't go toe to toe with prime Vinge/Pog and test where he stands in comparison. He won't get the experience what it is to ride the Tour for GC and the mediacircus that comes with that. He throws away a chance to win a GT. Then he'd better just go for the Vuelta. I rate a second Vuelta win higher than 2 TDF stages. And so should he. What if he wins a stage? Then he can say he won a TDF stage? Just like Hugo Houle, Mike Teunissen, Patrick Konrad and hundreds of others.

If he goes, he has to do it if he is in good enough shape to at least push Pog and Vinge or more. If that's not possible, then go for WCC + Vuelta.
Is this even up for debate? A non-Tour GC victory is way better than two Tour stages IMO.

The first weekend is basically created for him... Win a stage and the yellow jersey there. Then during the first mountain stage, just let yourself drop.

I don't think he can recover from covid, get in a good enough form to content podium at the Tour. And if you can't do that, why even bother trying that and get the whole country on your case again... Just ride the Tour to experience it, have fun, and win some stages. Use it as a training for WC, and win the TT as well as the road race. You can still go on holiday and focus on Canadian and Italian classics afterwards.
Would the timeframe allow for him to go win a few stages at the Tour and win five stages at the Tour of Britain? That was sone Wout fans can argue Remco for the Velo D’or.

• Haha
Reactions: Berniece and Riek s

Should he really drop in that case? if he is in yellow? he should just try and see how long he can go in that case. He can stop when he drops out of top5 and feels fatigue is to much to still perform on WC. But why would he drop earlier when he is in the lead or on the podium? For the same thing Pog & vingegaard get sick and he is in prime place to win.

I agree with Logic here.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Should he really drop in that case? if he is in yellow? he should just try and see how long he can go in that case. He can stop when he drops out of top5 and feels fatigue is to much to still perform on WC. But why would he drop earlier when he is in the lead or on the podium? For the same thing Pog & vingegaard get sick and he is in prime place to win.

I agree with Logic here.
I agree. He should only go if he thinks he can peak, and if he goes he should go for yellow in Paris.

Reactions: houtdffan

I agree with Logic here.
To immediately remove the pressure of him performing and then failing in the tour

Honestly, I am not going full conspiracy theorist here, but I am surprised he pulled out that same day given his assessment in the morning was that he had a blocked nose, after the TT it was just “I hope I’m not getting sick,” he still won the stage, and there was a rest day the next day. Maybe it got really bad really fast but based on his socials it didn’t. Just seems like a strange decision. Hate on Lance all you want (and I’ll join you), but there is no way Lance would have made that decision. Not Froome IMO.
The fact that there are a lot of cases where Covid damaged one's body and heart permanently, certainly when put under pressure such as endurance sports, made the team not wanting to take any risk at all. Even if the symptoms weren't drastic at the time, you never know how it is going to evolve. And he certainly was getting sick, because he already had a sore throat and a higher heartbeat.

I can only respect the decision. You also put your teammates, crew and colleagues in danger potentially.

The fact that there are a lot of cases where Covid damaged one's body and heart permanently, certainly when put under pressure such as endurance sports, made the team not wanting to take any risk at all. Even if the symptoms weren't drastic at the time, you never know how it is going to evolve. And he certainly was getting sick, because he already had a sore throat and a higher heartbeat.

I can only respect the decision. You also put your teammates, crew and colleagues in danger potentially.
Those are good points, and I respect his decision as well even if a part of thinks he should have said eff it, No risk no glory. I am surprised because I assumed he was feeling really badly, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. I think there’s a certain type of ruthless competitor mythologized at least in America lore (Lance, MJ, Tiger Woods, etc.) who wouldn’t consider long term consequences or dangers to others, but they are all sociopaths and/or narcissists so laudable in terms of athletic accomplishment but abhorrent in many other ways. Probably for the best that Remco might not be cut from that cloth. The decision from the outside seems a bit cautious but thoughtful, and that’s OK.

I hope his career goes smoothly from here though because by definition you never realize you missed your only shot until it’s too late. On the flipside, if he continued and had debilitating secondary impacts, that would be terrible. I’m not sure Tom Dumoulin ever really recovered from his knee injury he tried to race through.

Those are good points, and I respect his decision as well even if a part of thinks he should have said eff it, No risk no glory. I am surprised because I assumed he was feeling really badly, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. I think there’s a certain type of ruthless competitor mythologized at least in America lore (Lance, MJ, Tiger Woods, etc.) who wouldn’t consider long term consequences or dangers to others, but they are all sociopaths and/or narcissists so laudable in terms of athletic accomplishment but abhorrent in many other ways. Probably for the best that Remco might not be cut from that cloth. The decision from the outside seems a bit cautious but thoughtful, and that’s OK.

I hope his career goes smoothly from here though because by definition you never realize you missed your only shot until it’s too late. On the flipside, if he continued and had debilitating secondary impacts, that would be terrible. I’m not sure Tom Dumoulin ever really recovered from his knee injury he tried to race through.
He just turned 23 this season. I'm sure if he were Thomas' or even Roglic' age, it would have been a different matter.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

Is this even up for debate? A non-Tour GC victory is way better than two Tour stages IMO.
Covid's different than a cold or allergies. The aforementioned guys had an army of "medical staff" to monitor what was the status quo. If they got Covid they wouldn't have had a choice even if they pursued another stage or, well; they'd be in bed. The choice is made by the affliction.

I'd hesitate to compare Remco's situation to either Lance or Tiger. They were commercially controlled beasts with the backup to manage most situations and the personality to justify the means.
Remco mercifully races in slightly less noxious times. He'll get over it and ride well rather than bury another 6 months in recovery. I'd say no Tour and again; why not do the Vuelta for form? He can say that and have a good late season.

Covid's different than a cold or allergies. The aforementioned guys had an army of "medical staff" to monitor what was the status quo. If they got Covid they wouldn't have had a choice even if they pursued another stage or, well; they'd be in bed. The choice is made by the affliction.
I know it isn’t like a cold or allergies or even the flu. But it can impact you like a cold or allergies, or not impact you at all, or have devastating consequences. I am just surprised that he called it based on a positive rather than based on how he felt since you are no longer required to leave with a positive and others like Ayuso have raced through it. I agree though that it is irresponsible, selfish, and short sighted to not leave if you have Covid.

According to Lefevere today, his program will look like this:
  • Training at La Gleize
  • Baloise Belgium Tour or Tour de Suisse
  • National Championships
  • (Probably) altitude camp during the Tour to prepare for WC
  • World Championships
They are not making any plans yet for after the Worlds.

I know it isn’t like a cold or allergies or even the flu. But it can impact you like a cold or allergies, or not impact you at all, or have devastating consequences. I am just surprised that he called it based on a positive rather than based on how he felt since you are no longer required to leave with a positive and others like Ayuso have raced through it. I agree though that it is irresponsible, selfish, and short sighted to not leave if you have Covid.
Did you not see him in the presser after the TT? He looked horrible. No way he didn't feel horrible. This whole line of discussion is ridiculous.

You don't think he's sitting home, watching this lame race, thinking he'd have just clowned everyone? It's gotta be killing him.

Targeting the nationals is ridiculous anyway. Van Aert probably won't participate in the TT again so no competition and the road race is pancake flat so SQS will be working for Merlier.
Only if Van Aert wants the TT would it be interesting. At the moment, i think Van Wilder is the 3rd best TT'er and he is not close enough to push Evenepoel. Unless Segaert is making strides, but i haven't been following him close enough and don't know if he will ride with the pros or U23. I doubt Lampaert will pull off his stunt again like in '21 on a longer TT where he doesn't know every corner by heart. So i agree, nationals should not be a concern.

Reactions: Monte Serra