• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 690 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Did you not see him in the presser after the TT? He looked horrible. No way he didn't feel horrible. This whole line of discussion is ridiculous.

You don't think he's sitting home, watching this lame race, thinking he'd have just clowned everyone? It's gotta be killing him.
I am referring to what Remco actually said himself. He had a “blocked nose” and he “hoped he wasn’t getting sick.” I’m not going to repeat my nuanced post about this that you selectively read or at least selectively quoted; I’ll just say I absolutely agree he is likely thinking that he would be here smashing the opposition if he had stayed in, hence my line of thought.

Oh no, he’s hurt, he didn’t have a good prep…

…or he just had a bad (ish) day.

100%. The field has been decimated. It's a snoozer.

Did you not see him in the presser after the TT? He looked horrible. No way he didn't feel horrible. This whole line of discussion is ridiculous.

You don't think he's sitting home, watching this lame race, thinking he'd have just clowned everyone? It's gotta be killing him.
Let me see if I can translate your series of posts into a position:
  • Despite how Remco described his experience, the fact that he won the ITT the day he dropped out, and the fact that he quickly returned to training, Remco felt so horrible he couldn’t continue
    • So that people don’t get the wrong idea, I generally think it is best to take Covid seriously and am fine with his decision
  • Despite Roglic having to get stitches after a fall and saying to the press he is not 100%, he is actually not hurt, just lying, and he just had a bad(ish) day, “ish” in referencing to dropping from guys he normally drops 5km out
  • If Remco had not retired from the Giro, he would have “clowned the field,” including a Roglic who is not hurt
So we are back to the classic a Remco partisan argument - Remco is the best, everyone else is a clown, Remco’s excuses are legit, others’ excuses are not.

Edit: I frequently cheer for Remco, so I am far from a hater.

Last edited:
I am referring to what Remco actually said himself. He had a “blocked nose” and he “hoped he wasn’t getting sick.” I’m not going to repeat my nuanced post about this that you selectively read or at least selectively quoted; I’ll just say I absolutely agree he is likely thinking that he would be here smashing the opposition if he had stayed in, hence my line of thought.
Yeah, I don't read every post. I responded to the post I saw and quoted it in it's entirety. Bolding is for emphasis, it doesn't mean one hasn't read the rest.

Yes, he said those things. You may also have noticed over the many years that cycling teams and athletes aren't always 100% transparent about their form, weight, fitness, illness or other things they think might give advantage to their competitors. And he was obviously sick, to anyone looking at him for 2 seconds could obviously see. And it obviously explains his form falloff the day before and during the TT. This stuff isn't as complicated as everyone seems to want to make it.

Let me see if I can translate your series of condescending posts into a position:
  • Despite how Remco described his experience, the fact that he won the ITT the day he dropped out, and the fact that he quickly returned to training, Remco felt so horrible he couldn’t continue
    • So that people don’t get the wrong idea, I generally think it is best to take Covid seriously and am fine with his decision
  • Despite Roglic having to get stitches after a fall and saying to the press he is not 100%, he is actually not hurt, just lying, and he just had a bad(ish) day, “ish” in referencing to dropping from guys he normally drops 5km out
  • If Remco had not retired from the Giro, he would have “clowned the field,” including a Roglic who is not hurt
So we are back to the classic a Remco partisan argument - Remco is the best, everyone else is a clown, Remco’s excuses are legit, others’ excuses are not. Nice.

Edit: I frequently cheer for Remco, so I am far from a hater.
Let me summarize. Those are my observations. If you think I'm an anti-Roglič poster or raving pro-Remco fan, you're not that familiar with my posts, which is fine.

It is absolutely my opinion that if Remco didn't get COVID he would have won this in a walk. He was in imperious form, and the rest look very average. You're free to disagree.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't read every post. I responded to the post I saw and quoted it in it's entirety. Bolding is for emphasis, it doesn't mean one hasn't read the rest.

Yes, he said those things. You may also have noticed over the many years that cycling teams and athletes aren't always 100% transparent about their form, weight, fitness, illness or other things they think might give advantage to their competitors. And he was obviously sick, to anyone looking at him for 2 seconds could obviously see. And it obviously explains his form falloff the day before and during the TT. This stuff isn't as complicated as everyone seems to want to make it.
I 100% agree it explains his form fall off, and that either early effects or the crash caused him to lose time on stage 8.

Last edited:
Let me summarize. Those are my observations. If you think I'm an anti-Roglič poster or raving pro-Remco fan, you're not that familiar with my posts, which is fine.

It is absolutely my opinion that if Remco didn't get COVID he would have won this in a walk. He was in imperious form, and the rest look very average. You're free to disagree.
He looked good and then looked equal to the leaders. How the next days finish would be a better basis for your faith in Remco. Fact is: he didn't finish the race. Tears for him and many times more for Roglic's GT setbacks. Careers are made of what you actually do, however and this race's history is about to be written.

There was an article on Sporza recently with lefevere being unhappy with rumours around Remco and Ineos. I haven't really heard any new rumours but rather just noticed an increase in the negative opinion on QS being a good team for Remco by the general public.

According to lefevere he had talks with Remco and his "agent" (dad) about this to push down these rumours because it made people "nervous". By people he means himself and sponsors I guess.

I am of the opinion that Remco has to leave QS to achieve his total potential. At this point he has mainly won races despite being at QS, rather than because of his team. Kind of an opposite situation to Roglic who has been saved by his team a couple of times.

I dont really understand the focus on the national championships. ITT is almost a certainty if Wva isn't riding it anyway. The road race isn't suitable and he should never domestique. Then there are rumours around the baloise tour.. why bother with it even.

He looked good and then looked equal to the leaders. How the next days finish would be a better basis for your faith in Remco. Fact is: he didn't finish the race. Tears for him and many times more for Roglic's GT setbacks. Careers are made of what you actually do, however and this race's history is about to be written.
Obviously. My post was a response, I’m not on a mission to prove what might have happened.

Reactions: Oldermanish
He would’ve won by 5-10min if he was a bit better than his Vuelta level.
That is a bit much no? I would assume he wouldn't have attacked with a lead of 1min+ .
He might have pushed on the days Roglic/Almeida dropped if he were still with that group and capable. But those were not the points in the race anymore to make such big gains.

Maybe if he was somehow behind and capable it would be entertaining. (but then how would he have gotten behind..)

but many legends are made by what they didn’t do, but could’ve done. Jan Ullrich and Franck Vandenbroucke for example, their legends are bigger than the results.

“What could’ve been” is one of the greatest discussion in sport.
Tour de France, Olympic Champion, Olympic silver medalist (would probably have been gold if not for the wind), Junior world Champion, 2x World Champion (TT), Vuelta, 5x Tour de France podium, 2x Tour de Suisse, Stage wins in all Grand Tours, it's not so bad. I think the assessment that his legend is bigger than his results is partly because the expectations were so incredibly high after 96/97, people remember him losing to Armstrong more than what he did achieve.

TRENDING THREADS