• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 691 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
They were pretty evenly matched then on the climbs, I don't think it would have been much different during the Giro over the whole three weeks.
Besides that this is a 3 week race and that that on its own is already a huge difference from a 1 week race. There’s also that the climbs are different, and yes, Remco was in better form now than at Catalunya.

I think he would’ve won this easily without covid. I don’t think he wouldn’t be able to follow Thomas. And when you see how close some other guys finish with him, I would even think Remco would be able to attack and take some time in the mountains. Hence the 5-10min gap.

Reactions: houtdffan
Besides that this is a 3 week race and that that on its own is already a huge difference from a 1 week race. There’s also that the climbs are different, and yes, Remco was in better form now than at Catalunya.

I think he would’ve won this easily without covid. I don’t think he wouldn’t be able to follow Thomas. And when you see how close some other guys finish with him, I would even think Remco would be able to attack and take some time in the mountains. Hence the 5-10min gap.
I don't think he would've won this easily; so there we are, at an impasse with no means to resolve it.

Because of what he did on stage 4, 7 & 8?
I think he would've defended more than before, but he will also attack if he's feeling good or thinks he's the better climber that day. Others would've attacked earlier (if they could) because of the bigger gap in GC, maybe play it more tacticaly with multiple riders like Ineos. Trying to isolate him early etc. With what I've seen this week it is hard to get an even worse scenario, that's what I'm thinking now.
And I'm Belgian so there's that :D

If Rogla hadn't crashed, he would lead by 6-11 min, so there's that.

I think he would've defended more than before, but he will also attack if he's feeling good or thinks he's the better climber that day. Others would've attacked earlier (if they could) because of the bigger gap in GC, maybe play it more tacticaly with multiple riders like Ineos. Trying to isolate him early etc. With what I've seen this week it is hard to get an even worse scenario, that's what I'm thinking now.
And I'm Belgian so there's that :D
At the Vuelta last year his way of defending in the mountains was setting a strong controlling tempo from the bottom. That alone would have created more selection and opportunities for more aggressive racing than what we have got with the contenders that are currently still racing.

He looked good and then looked equal to the leaders. How the next days finish would be a better basis for your faith in Remco. Fact is: he didn't finish the race. Tears for him and many times more for Roglic's GT setbacks. Careers are made of what you actually do, however and this race's history is about to be written.
and so it has. This would have been a more exciting Giro with Remco. IMO he would have provided some more aggression but, in the end Primoz showed what he could do at the key, steepest moments which was what this race was always about strategically. Remco fans should appreciate what it took to come back and win a GT less than a year from being written off by many.

and so it has. This would have been a more exciting Giro with Remco. IMO he would have provided some more aggression but, in the end Primoz showed what he could do at the key, steepest moments which was what this race was always about strategically. Remco fans should appreciate what it took to come back and win a GT less than a year from being written off by many.
He would’ve started that TT with more than 40s behind. He wouldn’t have won this Giro. Nonetheless, congrats to Roglic

Reactions: Riek s and wickedw
yes since this Giro was tailor made for Remco, it would have been. Mano a Mano with the other leaders he could have won it but with his team being weak compared to the other leaders team, he would be repeatedly attacked by the other teams and it would be a tossup

yes since this Giro was tailor made for Remco, it would have been. Mano a Mano with the other leaders he could have won it but with his team being weak compared to the other leaders team, he would be repeatedly attacked by the other teams and it would be a tossup
You mean how Ineos and JV repeatedly attacked in this Giro :laughing:

Roglic was never written off. At worst he was put behind Pog,ving, Remco. And from what we saw that is still the case. Roglic won by 13s, nothing dominant . Roglic was dropped once, saved by kuss. Almeida dropped twice. Thomas lost in the mtt. Neither rog or Thomas deserved to win or loose the giro. You can call it tactical, but for the same flip of the coin Thomas won.
If hart didn't crash, he would have won it and let's not forget Ineos lost a lot of people so they couldn't make the race harder.

It was not tactical to put everything on the mtt, it was due to lack of choice/ability to do otherwise.

Roglic was never written off. At worst he was put behind Pog,ving, Remco. And from what we saw that is still the case. Roglic won by 13s, nothing dominant . Roglic was dropped once, saved by kuss. Almeida dropped twice. Thomas lost in the mtt. Neither rog or Thomas deserved to win or loose the giro. You can call it tactical, but for the same flip of the coin Thomas won.
If hart didn't crash, he would have won it and let's not forget Ineos lost a lot of people so they couldn't make the race harder.

It was not tactical to put everything on the mtt, it was due to lack of choice/ability to do otherwise.
I’ve seen this a few times. What are people basing this on? They hadn’t done a single mountain stage when he dropped out.

What is the plan for Remco now?
I know he'll probably do the WC and San Sebastian, but I really want to see him in a grand tour again this year.....

I think the Tour has possibilities for him and the Vuelta also.

I really enjoy watching Remco and hope he has a great career. However, I get the feeling that he is like the protected up and coming boxer who won't take on certain challenges for fear of losing. Maybe it's more his team management who is calling the shots.

Let's get Remco to the Tour, or at least defend his title at the Vuelta! Come on Remco!!

Reactions: gregrowlerson