• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 709 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
hey "dude", you said much more than that and you know it. i even quoted you "dude".

no matter what, you have to realize that you just added yourself to the long list of hater cultists who find every conspiracy possible to lessen each and every one of his wins. That is not done for any other rider. only Remco. Why is that? There are people here who are unhealthily invested in his failure.

he is the second-best all-around cyclist in the world at present (and has been basically since LBL last year). please note that i am a Remco fan, but I do not say he is the best (despite him winning the Velo d'Or last season). He has not gone up against Vingo or Pog at the TDF and so those wins, I completely agree, mean more. However, I find the way he wins, when he wins, more exciting, more amazing, and more dominant than any other rider, yes, even Pog.
Thou shalt not doubt the One, the Almighty! If that's not a cult, I don't know what is.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Doopie
Again. The same boring narrative.

When Pog or any other rider wins, they were obviously the “strongest”. When Remco wins by 2+ mins dropping riders off his wheel whether at WC, San Sebastián or LBL, well, “there was never a real race”, “No one chased”, “No one was trying”, “it wasn’t a race they had targeted”.

The “haters” are truly cult-like. No amount of reason can sway them. So much invested in this one rider failing. It’s really odd. Meanwhile most Remco fans often point out weaknesses or doubts.

I should definitely get a cycling license so i can outsmart this entire peloton of idiots, follow Remco, finish 2nd in every race Evenepoel wins and have a stellar palmares.

Seriously dude, I don't mind an Evenepoel win. The only thing I pointed out is that probably (!) in future Worlds he might have a harder time getting in the break. Talk about a cult...
Why? Why was he able to get in the break this time? No one knew the Vuelta champion, the guy who won LBL and who was clearly on incredible form (even for him) was possibly the biggest threat in the race?

He made a move, and the others calculated that the move was a risk they didn't have the strength to deal with. They said, "crap, but if I go in the break, or if we as a team try and chase him down, I/we are going to burn. This sucks, but we gotta let him go." Which simply means he was strong enough to do something the whole peloton knew was a very dangerous move, and they didn't feel like they could cover it.

The move worked because of individual strength, team strength, and the guts to try it. He dropped the entire peloton and no team could even come close to shutting down the break. He literally destroyed the field.

The Amstel break was still different, there was quite a concerted chase going on which got interrupted by a crash, among other things. But there was nothing inevitable about that break at the Worlds staying away. So I'm just guessing that if in Glasgow he jumps in a break at 70 k to go, other countries won't let that happen. Just like with a Van der Poel or a Pogacar.

And this is because I like to see an exciting race. If he drops all the favourites, fair play to him.
It won’t be a case of letting it happen but I would expect them to be wise to it by now and for the other bigs to move straight after him if they have the legs to do so as Flanders and Roubaix 23 both showed the top guys are not afraid to move up to 2 hours out from the finish.

I'm just curious to see a race with the big 5, 6 or whatever they are battling it out. Not one where all but one are eliminated already 2 hours before the finish. In Flanders you could see, there was nothing to be done about Pogacar, he was far and away the strongest. At last year's Worlds you just didn't know, there was never a real race.
Credit goes to Remco for showing the initiative in both WC and his last classic win. The Classic win was well calculated and he took maximum advantage of bad road conditions. It was a strong and safe choice.
At the WC he did the smart thing and sought to get away from a large field that was lethargic; no doubt to thin the ranks and sort out who he'd need to race against. I doubt very strongly he expected no serious reaction until he had a gap he could defend but he did the work to go the distance. No flukes, just hard work.

Evenepoel explains why going to the Tour was never an option after his DNF in the Giro. There is no way for him to start without major expectations and when he goes to the Tour he wants to be 150%, which is impossible now. He says he was getting sicker the first days after the positive covid test. He wasn't able to ride a bike for 10 days, and after his Giro peak, it wouldn't be possible to get the same level for the Tour.

Google translated article:

Last edited:
Reactions: Berniece
as Daniel Friebe said (and I paraphrase): "When Pog races, he seems like a cyclist, just better than everyone else in almost every aspect. When Remco races, it's as if he is doing a different sport from everyone else."
You are trying really hard to take the statute of remco fanboy n°1 from @houtdffan .

Who the hell is daniel friebe? Nobody cares.

Evenepoel explains why going to the Tour was never an option after his DNF in the Giro. There is no way for him to start without major expectations and when he goes to the Tour he wants to be 150%, which is impossible now. He says he was getting sicker the first days after the positive covid test. He wasn't able to ride a bike for 10 days, and after his Giro peak, it wouldn't be possible to get the same level for the Tour.

I get where he's coming from, but if there's ever a chance for him to ride the Tour with less pressure, this is it. The problem with his current approach (I'll only ride the Tour if I'm absolutely 100%) is that when he eventually does ride the Tour, the expectations will be sky high, maybe unrealistically high. The pressure only becomes bigger, not less. I think Tom Dumoulin also said something along those lines in the Sporza cycling podcast.

That down period would virtually undo all altitude adaptation so his choice was a sound one.

Reactions: Big Doopie
You are trying really hard to take the statute of remco fanboy n°1 from @houtdffan .

Who the hell is daniel friebe? Nobody cares.

funny.

clearly, you are ill-informed about cycling in general.

though i kinda knew that all along considering your choice of moniker. demonstrating your inability to judge natural talent.

now on ignore.

have a great life. cheerio!

Last edited:
Want als ik los in bergen, ontploft er bom in België

That is such a sad thing to hear.

And if he prepares exclusively for the TdF 2024 & Vingegaard still wallops Evenepoel in the mountains, it'll be a thousand times worse because Belgium will be really, really expecting a top result next year.

I completely understand absolutely every reason given 'why' Evenepoel isn't going to the Tour 2023, i.e. reasons relating to going deep for his Giro prep & getting sick, but the part about Belgium's reaction if he does badly in the Tour... needs addressing within his team & inner circle.

It's negative pressure.

I get where he's coming from, but if there's ever a chance for him to ride the Tour with less pressure, this is it. The problem with his current approach (I'll only ride the Tour if I'm absolutely 100%) is that when he eventually does ride the Tour, the expectations will be sky high, maybe unrealistically high. The pressure only becomes bigger, not less. I think Tom Dumoulin also said something along those lines in the Sporza cycling podcast.
I can't believe how Soudal is managing him. He doesn't want to upset the team plans? For what? So Lulu can go for a couple of stage wins? Is this a team that hopes to assist Remco in winning the Tour some day or what? He should be the priority in July or do they not understand that you can't go from stage hunters to GC leaders in France overnight? And as you say, when he goes all in the pressure will be 100 times greater in Belgium. It's absurd he's not being prepared at the Grand Bouclé like the young Lemond was, which took him three attempts to win it.

Last edited:
I can't believe how Soudal is managing him. He doesn't want to upset the team plans? For what? So Lulu can go for a couple of stage wins? Is this is a team that hopes to assist Remco in winning the Tour some day or what? He should be the priority in July or do they not understand that you can't go from stage hunters to GC leaders in France overnight? And as you say, when he goes all in the pressure will be 100 times greater in Belgium. It's absurd he's not being prepared at the Grand Bouclé like the young Lemond was, which took him three attempts to win it.
Re: Lemond, he was able to win it on his 2nd attempt, but the team wouldn’t let him. But it’s a different era in terms of how teams bring top talent along for GTs.

Re: Lemond, he was able to win it on his 2nd attempt, but the team wouldn’t let him. But it’s a different era in terms of how teams bring top talent along for GTs.

not accurate at all

Hinault broke his nose trying to slow the peloton for Lemond to gain time. Then on the Luz Ardiden stage, Lemond never had that big of a lead. It was only 1:15 at the Tourmalet

Lemond was told to attack Roche, but he wasn't willing or able to.

If Lemond were strong enough, he would have dropped Roche when Roche flatted on Luz Ardiden

Reactions: Sandisfan
not accurate at all

Hinault broke his nose trying to slow the peloton for Lemond to gain time. Then on the Luz Ardiden stage, Lemond never had that big of a lead. It was only 1:15 at the Tourmalet

Lemond was told to attack Roche, but he wasn't willing or able to.

If Lemond were strong enough, he would have dropped Roche when Roche flatted on Luz Ardiden

not accurate at all

hinault crashed in a sprint at St. Etienne (amongst a whole group of favorites that included LeMond) - he blamed Anderson. he was not trying to slow the peloton for LeMond to gain time at all.

LeMond was not told to attack Roche. He was told many times that Hinault was just 30 seconds-1 minute behind and closing fast. He was told to wait.

whether LeMond could have threatened Hinault without Hinault's crash (and riding on a different team) is debatable at best. LeMond has said that he revered LeMond as a "big brother", even a "surrogate father figure" and that Hinault was really good to him in his early years, taking him under his wing. However, it also meant that LeMond was slow to understand that Hinault now perceived LeMond as a threat and wanted to win for himself.

TRENDING THREADS