• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 975 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
This is a perfect analysis. In normal conditions Evenepoel falls short in the high mountains against Pogacar and Vingegaard. Or goes beyond his physical limit after a few mountain rides after which he has a breakdown.

In a few weeks, neither Pogacar nor Vingegaard (if he participates) will be at their absolute best. The question is whether Evenepoel can hold out longer in those circumstances. Or limit the damage so that he remains dangerous until the end of the Tour. All this assuming that Evenepoel itself will start in top condition. Which is far from certain. Roglic is in the best position as an outsider. Undoubtedly the best prepared of the four favorites (no mayor injuries and no fatigue. But his age is against him. The chance/risk of one or two bad days is increasing.
I don't know who will be the best trained, for Pogacar at the Giro looks like he's just logging in the training km (while winning, of course).

Last edited:
Evenepoel's chances to win the Tour have just increased tenfold. I'm actually going to make a bullish statement, and say that he is going to obliterate the opposition. The only rider i can see finish within an hour is Vollering.

His schedule according to wielerflits has him starting the Tour de France Femmes.

Yeah, because Roglic never wins anything, or crashes much more than Evenepoel. And it's obviously normal to hype a Portuguese rider for a podiumspot in a Giro and maybe possibly more one day with a bit of luck, because he's Portuguese. But it's not normal to hype a Belgian rider who already won the Vuelta (and much more) to maybe one day win another GT... because Belgian riders have been dominating GT's in the past 4 decades, right?

[deleted content]
You can hype Remco all you want and say I have double standards. What I implied is that hyping a rider can be commendable and reasonable but also must take into account what that rider can accomplish.

I'm sure any forum user would say that the Remco hype tends sometimes to go off the charts. At this point it became a meme that you even joke with. Which doesn't mean he shouldn't be hyped, but that he shouldn't be hyped for the wrong reasons and for unreasonable goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can hype Remco all you want and say I have double standards. What I implied is that hyping a rider can be commendable and reasonable but also must take into account what that rider can accomplish.

I'm sure any forum user would say that the Remco hype tends sometimes to go off the charts. At this point it became a meme that you even joke with. Which doesn't mean he shouldn't be hyped, but that he shouldn't be hyped for the wrong reasons and for unreasonable goals.
Which unreasonable goals would that be? The only thing he still has to win of a higher level than any of his other wins, is the Tour. He has won monuments, worldchampionships, a GT and other classics.

Reactions: Berniece
Evenepoel's chances to win the Tour have just increased tenfold. I'm actually going to make a bullish statement, and say that he is going to obliterate the opposition. The only rider i can see finish within an hour is Vollering.

His schedule according to wielerflits has him starting the Tour de France Femmes.

I sure don't hope this means he lost his balls in that crash.

Which unreasonable goals would that be? The only thing he still has to win of a higher level than any of his other wins, is the Tour. He has won monuments, worldchampionships, a GT and other classics.
The main point of contention is to know if he can stay with the big boys in the mountains. And if he can't that would imply that perhaps he is not taylored to any race with mountains. And although Vuelta 2023 didn't end that question, it sure did provide some skepticism.
He has to prove he is GT material and that Vuelta wasn't a fluke. Yates, Carapaz, Hindley, Tao won a GT but will never be able to repeat the feat. Will Remco be in the "one-trick-pony" GT category?
No other rider has a so thick list of excuses for not delivering. That's a symptom of overhype. Of course this does not mean that all Remco fans hype in the same way.

This is overhype:

Looking at the way he was riding in 2020 up til then, and in 2022, it's quite unrealistic to argue he would not have won any of those (2x Lombardia, 2x Giro, 2x WCC RR, 2x WCC ITT, OG RR, OG ITT, 2x LBL), had he not crashed.

Reactions: Salvarani

In fairness, Remco came late into the sport from another one and was the most dominating junior in the history of cycling. He then went straight into the pros, as Lemond once did. However, his first pro season was essentially riding on a farm team. Fair enough, but this deprived those watching of what his potential was in races like the Tour d'Avenir, Baby Giro, etc., which would have given some indication of his future GT prospects. Then he started winning significantly in 2019-2020, which seemed to confirm his exceptional talent. But then the visissitudes came, a near death experience and two mutants that blew open the roof.

In the meantime he's won a Vuelta, Liege x 2 and Worlds, not bad by 23. The hype was thus justified, so nobody is at fault for that, but now is the time to up his game. He will need to against this Pog and hopefully a recovered Vingo. More than hype, curiosity is the guiding principle. But I'm under no illusions, for Evenepoel to live up to the hype he has to beat Pogacar and Vingegaard.

Last edited:
In fairness, Remco came late into the sport from another one and was the most dominating junior in the history of cycling. He then went strait into the pros, as Lemond once did. However, his first pro season was essentially riding on a farm team. Fair enough, but this deprived those watching what his potential was in Tour d'Aveneir, Baby Giro, etc., which would have given some indication of his future GT prospects. Then he started winning significantly in 2019-2020, which seemed to confirm his exceptional talent. But then the visissitudes came, a near death experience and two mutants that blew open the roof.

In the meantime he's won a Vuelta, Liege x 2 and Worlds, not bad by 23. The hype was thus justified, so nobody is at fault for that, but now is the time to up his game. He will need to against this Pog and hopefully a recovered Vingo. More than hype, curiosity is the guiding principle. But I'm under no illusione, for Evenepoel to live up to the hype has to beat Pogacar and Vingegaard.
And Mathieu in RVV.

Reactions: Extinction
This is overhype:
Looking at the way he was riding in 2020 up til then, and in 2022, it's quite unrealistic to argue he would not have won any of those (2x Lombardia, 2x Giro, 2x WCC RR, 2x WCC ITT, OG RR, OG ITT, 2x LBL), had he not crashed
How is that overhype? You don't think he could've won 1 of them without his injury? I think he would've won the Lombardia where he crashed without that crash.

The main point of contention is to know if he can stay with the big boys in the mountains. And if he can't that would imply that perhaps he is not taylored to any race with mountains. And although Vuelta 2023 didn't end that question, it sure did provide some skepticism.
He has to prove he is GT material and that Vuelta wasn't a fluke. Yates, Carapaz, Hindley, Tao won a GT but will never be able to repeat the feat. Will Remco be in the "one-trick-pony" GT category?
No other rider has a so thick list of excuses for not delivering. That's a symptom of overhype. Of course this does not mean that all Remco fans hype in the same way.

This is overhype:
Saying that he could have won one WC ITT in that period would be overhype?

We will never know. Just like last years Giro.
Maybe you are confusing the intent of participating on a forum, with that of reading the results on ProCyclingStats. Indeed we will never know, which doesn't mean we can't make reasonable assumptions. In this case the assumption was that he would likely have won at least one of his goals during that period.

Reactions: proffate
Maybe you are confusing the intent of participating on a forum, with that of reading the results on ProCyclingStats. Indeed we will never know, which doesn't mean we can't make reasonable assumptions. In this case the assumption was that he would likely have won at least one of his goals during that period.
Hadn't @Froome crashed, he would've at lest 5 TdF's.