• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Retro Thread: where are they now?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ronan Pensec

For many years, Ronan had the coolest haircut in cycling but he kept well under the radar until getting into that famous long breakaway that shaped the whole of the 1990 Tour de France until the very last stages. He wore yellow for two days.

2d8gqdz.jpg

Today, he occasionally appears on French TV and radio but his main business is tourism. His company is the Tour de France's official tour operator, bussing tourists around the race and doing all sorts of hotel deals.

And he's still the epitome of post-punk cool.

pic.php

Roberto rode in Central America last year in MB races too. I'd love it if he came to the US. I wonder how well he'd do at Leadville? As it's hilly, and mostly on dirt and gravel roads, I'd think he'd fare well.

I like the idea of posting "here they are now" photos, but making others guess the names. For example: Who is this happy dad?

n744841066_1202536_3638.jpg

Hints: He is American, rode in the Tour, was KOM at the Tour of the Americas, won a mountain stage at the Tour du Pont, and several other races. That should be enough, but more hints if you guys get stuck.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad to see a lot of these guys still look fit. Meanwhile a certain American who was supposedly the most naturally talented cyclist of his generation has revealed his real natural shape to be "round".

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
I'm glad to see a lot of these guys still look fit. Meanwhile a certain American who was supposedly the most naturally talented cyclist of his generation has revealed his real natural shape to be "round".

Chris Horner is not round

Does anybody know who this is? He is the bald one without the cycling shirt:

Cumplea164o-Vargas-Lleras-Camisetas-pepas.jpg

Very simple: A popular Escarabajo from the 80's.

He was going to school and riding his bike at the same time. But he had so much talent that he decided to dedicate more time to cycling. After he retired he went back to school and finish Business Adm. And now he is into politics. Something related to being elected into congress to represent the sports in the Country.

http://www.google.com.co/imgres?img...TOS+DE+FABIO+PARRA&um=1&hl=es&sa=X&tbs=isch:1

http://www.google.com.co/imgres?img...TOS+DE+FABIO+PARRA&um=1&hl=es&sa=X&tbs=isch:1

It took him 13 years to finish school. It was like 1 semester per year. Very interesting stuff:

http://www.eltiempo.com/archivo/documento/MAM-338387

This guy was the closest we got to winning the Tour.:)

redtreviso said:
So where is Lucho Herrera?? I read he was kidnapped but released due to public outcry...

He was never kidnapped. It was another cyclist that I don't remember right now.

Interview a year ago:

http://www.caracoltv.com/deportes/c...a-de-victorias-mas-importantes-al-ciclismo-co

Basically he is a business man. There are little details in the interview but I know he owns some motels around Fusagasuga. (I think they are motels not hotels, because with some of my friends we joke about that. Motels are a big business in Colombia because they are use per hour and they can be very exotic;)).

picture from 21-Apr-2009:

This is today's interview with Lucho Herrera. He talks from his ranch:

d6a9cc799246ca6fc00c202a36f84736.jpg

http://www.google.com.co/imgres?img...s+de+Lucho+herrera&um=1&hl=es&sa=X&tbs=isch:1

He talks about his relation with Fignon. He says that he does not write his autobiography because he does not have any secrets.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
We have a winner!

What a great flashback! Andy and the rest of the Ten Speed Drive team stayed at my house one year during the Tour of Texas, must've been '85 pr '86. I was a junior racer at the time and I think I still have a signed poster of the team at my parents' place. I think they won the TTT that year with Gogulski and one huge guy that I can't remember now.

That is a flashback! I remember when Andy got signed to PDM to help mostly in the mountains. We fans all thought he could climb great and pictured him winning a mountain stage. Well, the US wasn't the same as the Tour! He did pretty well though. Still remember watching the TV and his stage win in the Tour DuPont over some tough terrain.

Race Radio said:
Dirk De Wolf

Good job!

1990 Worlds Flashback.

He and Rudy got a little lucky that day, but sometimes that's what it takes. God knows Rudy had enough bad luck in his career, and life.

TRENDING THREADS