• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Retro Thread: where are they now?

Lots of isolated posts on this subject (of which I'm a fan). Couldn't find one that already exists in which to start collecting them.

So I'll start with some nice and perhaps more obscure ones (name/where are they now+source) ...

Claudio Chiapucci
Selling bike-to-boat converter kits (2007)

Evgeni Berzin
Selling cars out of three Fiat dealerships in Italy (2008)

Thierry Bourguignon
Is a local official at the Mayor's office in Avignon and a sometime consultant for Look (2007)

Thierry Marie
Previously a DIY store manager. Now thought to be selling bikes and diet supplements in Normandy. Still to be seen riding around the Cotentin peninsula wearing a Castorama jersey! (2007)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Lots of isolated posts on this subject (of which I'm a fan). Couldn't find one that already exists in which to start collecting them.

So I'll start with some nice and perhaps more obscure ones (name/where are they now+source) ...

Claudio Chiapucci
Selling bike-to-boat converter kits (2007)

Evgeni Berzin
Selling cars out of three Fiat dealerships in Italy (2008)

Thierry Bourguignon
Is a local official at the Mayor's office in Avignon and a sometime consultant for Look (2007)

Thierry Marie
Previously a DIY store manager. Now thought to be selling bikes and diet supplements in Normandy. Still to be seen riding around the Cotentin peninsula wearing a Castorama jersey! (2007)

Robert Millar - Who knows?????

Mauro Ribeiro and Jelle Nijdam

1991 Tour stage winner Mauro Ribeiro has his own line of cycling clothing.

Multiple Tour stage winner and all-round hangdog hardman Jelle Nijdam did a hospitality course after retiring from the peloton and now owns a nice hotel in Slenaken. A great recent article on him can be found here (Dutch).

58_jelle_nijdam_valpartij.jpg

Dancing With The Stars Alumni

These former cyclists have all competed on Dancing With The Stars:

Mario Cipollini (Italy)
Gerhard Zadrobilek (Austria)
Jesper Skibby (Denmark)
Erika Salumäe (Estonia)
Dag Otto Lauritzen (Norway)
Michael Rasmussen (Denmark)

9732124-3b61ba46d08c7fa43769f969ded96fe1.jpeg

Jesper Skibby hits the 'floor (back left)

1195337334305_169.jpg

Burn baby burn, Dag Otto Inferno

zadro2703apa308.jpg

Zadrobilek trips the light fandango

3041462-kyllingen.jpg

El Pollo does the chicken walk

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
L'arriviste said:

I know for sure he takes part to some training camps around Italy and Spain.
Of course he gets paied for that but I heard he's not that friendly.

L'arriviste said:
I read once that he also flies his heli for the local mountain rescue service. An excellent service to the public! :)

If Im not wrong, he does some service for hospital or something like that by elicopter, and he often said it was his dream to fly.
The Rai thing is just for Giro and few other Classic races like Sanremo and Lombardia.

Raimondas Rumsas after his "granfondo career" is supposed to be selling cars between Italy and Lithuania and still based in Tuscany.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Aside from commenting on Eurosport, Sean Kelly has a cycling academy.

Stephen Roche owns a hotel on the Cote d'Azur, right by the sea. Lucky him.

Charly Mottet is a sport manager in Canada

Ronan Pensec is a consultant for french TV, manages a cycling team and organises GT tourist tours

Amusingly enough, Virenque sponsorised an electric bike in 2009 :D

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Andy Hampsten has a bike shop in Colorado - Boulder or Denver?
Eric Heyden is an MD - specializing in sport med, I think.
Connie Carpenter, Davis Phinney, and Bob Roll we all know about.
Ditto Lemond and Andreu.

Wayne and Dale Stetina both have sons who continue the cycling tradition they inherited from their father.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Lets not forget Eddy Merckx has his own bike factory

Joop zoetemelk runs a hotel in France

Greg Lemond is Di*k Cheney's personnal hunting instructor

TRENDING THREADS