• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The revenge of Rasmussen ...

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
At first glance a bizarre ruling as it's without any doubt they knew exactly where Rasmussen was at the time. It was in the emails which made Rasmussen win the first case.

And considering all we learnt since then it's without any reasonable doubt there was a lot more going on then "just being aware of his whereabouts".

I wonder what's the motivation between this sentencing.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
staubsauger said:
Rabobank helped and organized his doping. It's not they just knew about it, they were included.

My opinion is Rasmussen shouldn't have lost that case. But maybe he was a bit too open the last months.

In the end a reason to hold on some antipathy agains Belkin :D

The case wasn't about doping, it was about whether Rabo was right to fire him at the spot in '07.

WillemS said:
So, what's Blanco doing right now?

Interesting tweet from Stef Clement on the Dutch nationals ITT.

"For those interested; todays TT 1h05.19 354,5watt with 174,9bpm and 94rpm. Compaired to last 5 TT's that is almost -8% power. Time to reload"

His assumed weight (Blanco + Wikipedia) puts him at about 66kg, which would give him an 354.5 / 66 = 5.4 w/kg average. If we believe his "almost -8% power" on the last 5 ITTs, his w/kg would be around 5.8 w/kg for the Giro time trials (5th on Stage 8 at + 0' 32" from Dowsett and 8th on stage 18 at + 1' 31" from Nibali). If we add some GT weight loss, he would be at about 6 watts/kg.

I may be reading this wrong, but be careful comparing the events. Let's assume he's working within real human parameters, he can't perform consistently across months of TT's. It would depend on where he is in a training cycle and also if the TT is a part of a stage race or standalone.

FWIW, also remember those hundredths differences in the Watts/Kilo are meaningful.

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Rasmussen's revelations had more impact that we've not seen.

Check the news tomorrow. Riis is f**ed.
I'll leave a hint. Who is the most popular danish rider with local fans?

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Courtruling in dutch (PDF)

In short:

The court takes note of all the recent publications and admissions by numerous pro cyclists but deems them irrelevant to this case.

The case hinges on one question. Did rabobank fire Rasmussen as soon as they found out he had been lying about his whereabouts. And is this reason enough to fire on the spot.

The judge comes to the conclusion that in the contract between rabo and rasmussen there are atleast two references that state that the rider needs to inform both UCI and Rabo truthfully about his whereabouts. Having failed to do this Rasmussen is in breach of his contract. The question then evolves on when did Rabo know. Witnesses present different views in this regards. and the court builds a timeline including the moments where whereabouts got filed, and warnings issued and comes to the conclusion that witnesses differ in numerous areas but finds no real proof of previous knowledge by Rabo. the one exception being a meeting with breukink in italy. but at that moment no whereabouts had been filed. The court concludes that Rabo fired justly and timely. the decision is not final. Rasmussen might still appeal.

Dazed and Confused said:
Nicki is just a semi retired rider, the target gotta be bigger.
Nicki has won the Danish RR championship four times, he's been a key domestique for years and not many Danish riders have a Tour stage win to their name. I reckon he must be quite the big name within cycling circles in Denmark.

Plus, this is not the first time his name pops up in relation to Rasmussen.

hrotha said:
Nicki has won the Danish RR championship four times, he's been a key domestique for years and not many Danish riders have a Tour stage win to their name. I reckon he must be quite the big name within cycling circles in Denmark.

Plus, this is not the first time his name pops up in relation to Rasmussen.

Can't imagine anybody in Denmark being surprised if Nicki was nailed.

Team history:

2013Team Saxo-Tinkoff (WT)
2012Team Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank (WT)
2011Saxo Bank - Sungard (WT)
2010Saxo Bank (PT)
2009Saxo Bank (PT)
2008CSC ProTeam (PT)
2007CSC ProTeam (PT)
2006CSC ProTeam (PT)
2005CSC ProTeam (PT)
2004CSC ProTeam (TT1)
2003CSC ProTeam (TT1)
2002CSC ProTeam - Tiscali (TT1)
2001CSC ProTeam - Tiscali (TT1)
1999Chicky World

Recently Steffen Kjagaard of Norway said he doped on Chicky World in '98.

Nicki is probably a doper, but he ain't a big target.

hrotha said:
But the "big target" thing is something you came up with. The condition was that he was "popular". Txurruka is popular, but not a big target.

well, I'm thinking El Pollo will explode with anger. He has already provided the anti doping folks with all the details. Nothing happened and now instead of getting some cash from Rabobank, he needs to return some.

Taking down Nicky? Meh. Gotta be bigger somehow.

zbranko said:
Check the news tomorrow. Riis is f**ed.

Why is Riis f**ed?

People have been saying and wishing this for years, and good ol' Bjarne keeps trudging along seemingly without a care in the world. So I highly doubt anything Earth-shattering will be revealed tomorrow, or any other day about Riis.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it won't be enough to bring him down.

Nicki Sorensen was linked to George Mouton already back in 98 I think - along with just about every other Danish pro at the time.

I don't think it's unlikely he was juiced at the time as so many others. He's the current Danish pro with the longest career and none of the other current pros that are popular and successful have a record going back nearly as far as his - they were all in diapers a few years ago.

If anything were to come out it would be about old riders - maybe from Hamburger testifying about the Olympics (04 was it?).

PS:
- Nothing's in the news as of yet about Riis being done for

PPS:
- Nothing about a rider being - or having been - caught would create a huge problem for Riis anyway.

zbranko - if you want to play Race Radio you better have a story that holds water - and don't over-sell it either...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Why is Riis f**ed?

People have been saying and wishing this for years, and good ol' Bjarne keeps trudging along seemingly without a care in the world. So I highly doubt anything Earth-shattering will be revealed tomorrow, or any other day about Riis.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it won't be enough to bring him down.
Riis.

= teflon