• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The revenge of Rasmussen ...

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
Hm, if I had to pick one rider who might have been clean during those years, it would have been Niermann. But oh well, at least he's honest.
Between 2000 and 2003, when he said he doped, he was 24th and 28th in TDF and 22nd in the Giro. Hasn't been close to that level since, so yeah, it seems plausible that he stopped in 2003.

maltiv said:
Between 2000 and 2003, when he said he doped, he was 24th and 28th in TDF and 22nd in the Giro. Hasn't been close to that level since, so yeah, it seems plausible that he stopped in 2003.
He's been a pure domestique for 10 years... literally never went for his own chance.

The fact that he never got close to these results anymore doesn't mean much in that context.

theyoungest said:
He's been a pure domestique for 10 years... literally never went for his own chance.

The fact that he never got close to these results anymore doesn't mean much in that context.
Yeah but a domestique with the potential he had shown as a youngster would presumably have been much stronger. He'd have been a good asset in the mountains rather than a general wind-stopper.

maltiv said:

Born 1975, riding for Blanco which will run out of cash in 2013 and with almost zero personal results in the last decade, I struggle to see a motive for lying during his confession.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
so a man with absolutely nothing to lose. Could be a Guinea pig. Lets see if it spurs other to come forward.
Not true. He has a job at the former Rabo development team (now managed by the Dutch cycling union). So he just got suspended for 6 months.

As a matter of fact, I think Grischa belongs in Cycling. Grischa, who I happend to have trained with quite a couple of times, is a good guy and surely someone to teach riders of any age and class a lot.

When my kids are in school, I want somebody to tell them about drugs. I want this guy to be an ex-junkie. I want my kids to be confronted with the truth. I want my kids to ask questions, and be given answers that may be disturbing. I want to have the chance to talk to my kids openly. I don't want my kids to take drugs (and if they do, at least do it responsibly because yes - alcohol, cigarettes & painkillers are drugs, too). My wife thinks the same.

Go Grischa!

Mr.38% said:
As a matter of fact, I think Grischa belongs in Cycling. Grischa, who I happend to have trained with quite a couple of times, is a good guy and surely someone to teach riders of any age and class a lot.

When my kids are in school, I want somebody to tell them about drugs. I want this guy to be an ex-junkie. I want my kids to be confronted with the truth. I want my kids to ask questions, and be given answers that may be disturbing. I want to have the chance to talk to my kids openly. I don't want my kids to take drugs (and if they do, at least do it responsibly because yes - alcohol, cigarettes & painkillers are drugs, too). My wife thinks the same.

Go Grischa!

your point is very valid, which is one of the reasons why a global T&R is difficult to implement without significant resources. Anyway nothing is perfect, so I continue to support the beachhead approach in Oranjeland.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mr.38% said:
When my kids are in school, I want somebody to tell them about drugs. I want this guy to be an ex-junkie. I want my kids to be confronted with the truth. I want my kids to ask questions, and be given answers that may be disturbing. I want to have the chance to talk to my kids openly. I don't want my kids to take drugs (and if they do, at least do it responsibly because yes - alcohol, cigarettes & painkillers are drugs, too).

Opinion: I understand that position and certainly think the real issue are the pushers. If anything at least a rider gambles with his own health and career. The pushers stay out of sight.

So morally I certainly see some difference.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Mr.38% said:

Go Grischa!

I agree. Don't waste the bad experiences and the lessons these men have learned but let them educate the next generation so they can learn from it.

But now we know even a guy like Grischa took EPO at Rabo, like Lotz and Nelissen, how long can E. Dekker and Boogerd keep denying now they didn't dope?

Franklin said:
Opinion: I understand that position and certainly think the real issue are the pushers. If anything at least a rider gambles with his own health and career. The pushers stay out of sight.

So morally I certainly see some difference.
The pushers will be exposed when riders openly confess to authorities. And all those dots into other sports will finally be connected.

Mr.38% said:

Go Grischa!

The junkie ends up on skid row, the sports doper a millionaire though

May 26, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
Can you get addicted to EPO?

Nope, but other stuff like HGH, Steroids and Amphetamine are certainly addictive. Also (though that were the really dark years), recreational drug use seems to have been a big factor in cycling in the 1995-2005 era.

In other sports recreative drug use is still an issue (or more so).

Franklin said:
Nope, but other stuff like HGH, Steroids and Amphetamine are certainly addictive. Also (though that were the really dark years), recreational drug use seems to have been a big factor in cycling in the 1995-2005 era.

In other sports recreative drug use is still an issue (or more so).

Recreataniol drugs seem more of a problem with footballers, anyway Steroids and Amphetemines we are told are addictive, however it is EPO that was the game changer. And EPO users have done well for themselves out of cycling, even the ones who were caught, which is really my original point, perhaps it is the likes of Bassons that should be educating, not former EPO users.

TRENDING THREADS