• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The revenge of Rasmussen ...

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dazed and Confused said:
So book hits the shops Monday, which should see us getting 2-3 more snippets beforehand.

First round was rather tame, less than 1000 books worth imo.
In Denmark it will be pretty big in the next days I think. But Riis will just stay silent. I hope Rolf Sorensen will comment on his old teams:p Could be a good laugh.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
AnotherDan said:
You mean Rasmussen?

I guess you refer to the article I linked to?
There's a video clip in danish as well where the journalist and editor from BT is telling about it...

The journalist tells in the clip that Rasmussen writes that doping was not enforced by Riis but "part of the package", as well as the incident where Riis saw Rasmussen (and apparently other riders as well) have doping injected by the team doctor.

BT really love to "Big Up" and no doubt take a cut from sales too. going by the interview the book doesn't sound worth reading tbh., and definitely not worth paying for. Michael is a very smart cookie and it will be a very calculated story for maximum personal gain.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
With regards to possible sanctions it - again - comes down to statutes of limitation. The details of the book that are damaging to Riis, Nicki Sørensen, Frank Høy and others, including the Danish olympic squad, deal with 2001-2004 but we will have to wait until January where Anti Doping Denmark apparently will finish their investigation following the Rasmussen admissions.

More gossip will come the following days and I will bet a million viles of epo that Riis will stay silent, at best saying "we'll have to wait for ADD to finish their investigation" yada yada yada... Nicki "Backyard Boy" Sørensen will surely second that statement.

Le Baroudeur said:
BT really love to "Big Up" and no doubt take a cut from sales too. going by the interview the book doesn't sound worth reading tbh., and definitely not worth paying for. Michael is a very smart cookie and it will be a very calculated story for maximum personal gain.

What are you trying to say? That Rasmussen is lying and that Bjarne and Nicki are innocent? :eek:

You seem overly defensive of a guy who should have absolutely no place in cycling. I don't mean to be rude but I'm not really sure how the Danish cycling public haven't worked that one out for themselves by now.

An editor of B.T., Jacob Staehelin, states that “Michael Rasmussen does not appear (in the book) as a remorseful man. He would do it again had he the chance. From his point of view he has competed on even terms against his rivals.”

So if what Staehelin is true then he would do it again, he has learnt nothing, I am reminded of Nicole Cookes interview after the Lance affair about how a young American friend of hers could not get a contract because he was unwilling to dope, it is the likes of Obree nor Rasmussen which should sympathise with.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Riis must be relieved. The accusations against him are rather mild and much less severe than expected. Basically its "only" that he witnessed that Rasmussen used cotisone. He never told Rasmussed to dope (it was implied, Rasmussen says).

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Ferminal said:
That doesn't make sense at all, what was he supposed to "learn"? Of course if he was faced with the same choices he would make more or less the same decisions, why shouldn't he?

Do a couple of things and become a millionaire. And you've done it once and know it works and isn't dangerous enough to kill you. And the other riders at your level are doing the same thing.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Ferminal said:
That doesn't make sense at all, what was he supposed to "learn"? Of course if he was faced with the same choices he would make more or less the same decisions, why shouldn't he?

Because, when you look back with what you think and know now, you would hope they would say I would have done things differently, from what the editor says his attitude seems it still is its not cheating if everyone is doing it

What does it matter if he thinks it's "cheating" or not? He made a perfectly rational decision to improve his career prospects, something thousands of athletes do (not to mention similar situations for millions of non-athletes). Are we supposed to demand that he apologise for his actions? It's not like he's harmed heaps of people.

JRanton said:
What are you trying to say? That Rasmussen is lying and that Bjarne and Nicki are innocent? :eek:

You seem overly defensive of a guy who should have absolutely no place in cycling. I don't mean to be rude but I'm not really sure how the Danish cycling public haven't worked that one out for themselves by now.

It really is cringeworthy to read some fellow danes still defending Riis at all costs claiming the journalists are part of a which hunt and Rasmussen is only looking for revenge. I guess it just shows how much impact confirmation bias has on peoples judgement.

From the first few snippets I've read, he actually portrays Riis more positively than I would've expected. Although it doesn't take much as I have to admit my faith in Riis is fairly limited.

the whole garmin team is one of the biggest jokes of the last century anyway

hesjedal to sue the chicken for what? because something everyone with two or even one eye already knew??

one thing i really really hope will happen is bruyneel to show the world what really vaughters is all about

TRENDING THREADS