• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The revenge of Rasmussen ...

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ChewbaccaD said:
I'm starting to like Ras as much as Floyd. I love a man who is willing to pull the pin and throw the grenade into the midst of the bunch.

I've always thought of Ras as a nervous, serious, quirky weirdo, but he seems to have a bit of the Floyd wit (although Floyd was kind of a quirky weirdo too)... this is a great quote:

Sørensen had previously admitted to using doping products, but likened himself to more of a 'party smoker,' claiming he was not a major perpetrator.

"I was a bit offended," said Rasmussen in response. "Subsequently, I think it was very funny that he considered himself a party smoker. The rest of us might have rather seen him as a chain smoker."

May 26, 2011
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
I'm starting to like Ras as much as Floyd. I love a man who is willing to pull the pin and throw the grenade into the midst of the bunch.

Absolutely agree - just need Johan to go full genius with his H bombs and the 3 of them will have been able to do what all the dope tests, anti doping agencies & federations have never been able to do...the irony of the house finally being put in order by them is not lost on me.

IndianCyclist said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rasmussen-entire-2007-rabobank-tour-de-france-team-doped
The final nail in the coffin of Rabobank. Though only Thomas Dekker & Pieter Weening are currently riding. Dekker has already confessed. Weening has yet to do anything:rolleyes:.
Final nail for Rabobank pre-2008, yes. They didn't hold a cleanup for nothing, that much was clear already in 2008. How much it was necessary trickles in bit by bit.

They didn't have the luck of a name change, like BMC, and just keep the same people ;)

Alex76 said:
Absolutely agree - just need Johan to go full genius with his H bombs and the 3 of them will have been able to do what all the dope tests, anti doping agencies & federations have never been able to do...the irony of the house finally being put in order by them is not lost on me.
Bruyneel seems more than a little frustrated, he'll want to bring down Vaughters, just like Rasmussen wanted to bring down Rabobank. Whether he'll do that in a fair and honest way, we'll see.

Ferminal said:
Anyone know why cycling police USADA haven't gone after the likes of Weening and Menchov?
Because they have nothing to do with the US Postal investigation, and USADA have no jurisdiction over them?

Weening has been questioned in the Humanplasma investigation, in Austria. But even Rasmussen denies that Weening has anything to do with that, I believe.

Ferminal said:
USADA got the info, may have been passed on by the Danes and not direct.
If he had valuable info about Weening, I'm sure the Dutch authorities would have done something about it, certainly during the winter of the Dutch doping intifada where every journalist wanted Boogerd et al. to hang.

But he didn't even mention in his book that the whole team was on doping, which seems to me to be relevant info.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that you are surprised that the anti-doping agencies needs more than just one persons statements to find another person guilty of doping.

neineinei said:
I'm surprised that you are surprised that the anti-doping agencies needs more than just one persons statements to find another person guilty of doping.
Thomas Dekker said he would give names and numbers, Rasmussen did as well. That's two statements for you. Then there's Niermann, who of course didn't say that he doped in 2007, but if both Dekker and Rasmussen testified otherwise, I don't know what the doping authorities would have done.

if I had not met Cassani, I would have won the Tour de France - that's for sure," Rasmussen told politiken.dk. "I am also annoyed about the fact that if I had just called him and said: 'Shut up'. He never would have said a word.

"He [Cassani] has been a professional for 15 years, so he knows the environment from the inside. And if I had asked him to keep quiet, well, he would have done it. He has even told me."

wow, maybe the investigation into Rabo team would have happened anyway, but tough luck to meet cassani while training... how many $$$ has he lost not winning that Tour?

pastronef said:
if I had not met Cassani, I would have won the Tour de France - that's for sure," Rasmussen told politiken.dk. "I am also annoyed about the fact that if I had just called him and said: 'Shut up'. He never would have said a word.

"He [Cassani] has been a professional for 15 years, so he knows the environment from the inside. And if I had asked him to keep quiet, well, he would have done it. He has even told me."

wow, maybe the investigation into Rabo team would have happened anyway, but tough luck to meet cassani while training... how many $$$ has he lost not winning that Tour?

I think they would have nailed Rasmussen some other way. Neither ASO or UCI had any interest in having a Danish TdF winner at the time. Tiny and mature market.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Rasmussen used his mother in law as a drug mule between Mexico and Italy. She got some doctor in Mexico to give her prescriptions for drugs for anemia, diabetes and osteoporosis and then she flew over to visit Rasmussen in Italy, carrying the meds.

Rasmussen also bought EPO in pharmacies in Mexico, in large amounts. Once when he was in a pharmacy to buy EPO the guy from the pharmacy next door came in and offered 30-40 % discount if he bought his EPO from him instead.

He also writes about going to Christiania (drug district of Copenhagen) to get marihuana for his wife in 2010. He wore a pair of sunglasses hoping he wouldn't be recognized, but someone yelled "Hi Michael, are you here to buy EPO?" as soon as he'd set his feet on Pusher Street.

http://www.bt.dk/cykling/kyllingen-koebte-hash-paa-christiania-under-vild-med-dans

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Geert Leinders told Rasmussen to talk to Michael Boodgerd who had a "phone number to Austria".

- Boogerd told what was hidden behind the 'phone number to Austria'. In Vienna was a clinic with a dialysis system where the blood was immediately centrifuged, so it was only the red blood cells which were stored. At the same time you got blood plasma back into the body. To the bag containing the red blood cells were added glycerol. This could be frozen to minus eighty degrees and stored for up to twenty years.

- It was an excellent system: You can do it a whole stock of blood bags over the winter, just ready to take off on the particularly important stages. I could easily see the benefit, writes chicken in his book 'Yellow Fever' that are on the street today.

He used the alias Peter Müller at Human Plasma. He confirms buying the blood centrifuge with Bernhard Kohl and Christian Hoffman. It cost 45 000 EURO.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article2138889.ece

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Rasmussen claims one of the doping inspectors told him that Armstrong sat crying in the doping control bus after the press had asked him though questions at the press conference after the stages.

This happened after his victory on Col d'Aubisque in 2007, the press had asked him questions about doping.

"'They were though with you out there,' said one of doping inspectors. Another told me how Lance Armstrong often had sat inside the doping control bus and cried, because the press had been so disgusting. That I was somewhat surprised to hear. Armstrong cry? He had always seemed so unaffected by journalists criticism, "writes Michael Rasmussen in the book" Yellow Fever ".

http://jyllands-posten.dk/sport/cyk...mussen-lance-armstrong-graed-over-pressehetz/

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:
Geert Leinders told Rasmussen to talk to Michael Boodgerd who had a "phone number to Austria".

He used the alias Peter Müller at Human Plasma. He confirms buying the blood centrifuge with Bernhard Kohl and Christian Hoffman. It cost 45 000 EURO.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article2138889.ece
that passage appears to refer to what fuentes called 'siberia' according to tyler, - the most sophisticated and expensive blood doping technique at the time.

what time frame was ras referring to ? same as tyler about (2006?) does he confirm actually using it and does he specify how many bags he'd use in one grand tour ?

the interesting difference btwn fuentes's siberia and what ras described appears the use of plasma. fuentes was freezing it whereas ras said they'd re-infuse it immediately.

imo, freezing plasma was one half step ahead in doping sophistication.

theyoungest said:
I imagine they only used his knowledge insofar as the 'Mericans are concerned. BTW I thought he only testified to the Dutch and Danish authorities? I can't remember.

He was interviewed for two whole days a couple of days before he admitted in January. It was at with ADD (anti-doping Danmark) and with a representative from WADA and 'special agent Jack Robertson' (FBI) who was there for USADA.

TRENDING THREADS